Using slippery elm w/o making a syrup if necessary?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're preparing to wage a full-scale war against hairballs, and in addition to the Swanson egg yolk lecithin that just arrived, we plan to buy some slippery elm bark powder as soon as we can figure out which one to order.

If I understood correctly from reading many excellent threads here over the weekend, slippery elm bark powder may be most effective when prepared as a syrup, such as this recipe at Natural News.  But in a pinch, could I make do with just mixing the SEB with a sufficient amount of distilled water?  I've seen several references to a "soft gruel", but I want to make sure I'm clear on whether or not that has to be cooked.

The reason I ask is because we're frequently without power during the summers, so I can't always depend on being able to prepare a syrup when I need to, or feel comfortable using some that's in the fridge if the power has been out too long.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You an def make a paste with a small amount of slippery elm powder and water, ratio 1/8 tsp SE to 1/4 tsp water will make a paste, but add a little more water and it'll be a syrup. With this recipe you can roll the slippery elm into a ball and offer it to your cat. A lot of people then roll the slippery elm ball in crushed chicken treats or freeze dried liver and their cats eat it up as a "treat ball." My cat wont touch slippery elm so I have to syringe. 

There are a few choices for slippery elm on Amazon. Now has a powder, Anthony's, and I think there's another brand too. I've been using this one recently and I quite like it.

https://www.bulkherbstore.com/slippery-elm-bark-powder-wild-crafted-1-2-lb

Slippery elm is really good for nausea, but I think EYL works better for hairballs. I end up giving my older cat a lion cut because his hairball issues are just too much despite being raw fed and using slippery elm and EYL, a haircut works the best. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You an def make a paste with a small amount of slippery elm powder and water, ratio 1/8 tsp SE to 1/4 tsp water will make a paste, but add a little more water and it'll be a syrup. With this recipe you can roll the slippery elm into a ball and offer it to your cat. A lot of people then roll the slippery elm ball in crushed chicken treats or freeze dried liver and their cats eat it up as a "treat ball." My cat wont touch slippery elm so I have to syringe. 

There are a few choices for slippery elm on Amazon. Now has a powder, Anthony's, and I think there's another brand too. I've been using this one recently and I quite like it.

https://www.bulkherbstore.com/slippery-elm-bark-powder-wild-crafted-1-2-lb

Slippery elm is really good for nausea, but I think EYL works better for hairballs. I end up giving my older cat a lion cut because his hairball issues are just too much despite being raw fed and using slippery elm and EYL, a haircut works the best. 
Thank you for the info, and the link!  *picks you up in a giant bear hug*

I'm not sure whether we'll actually wind up using the SEB.  But after our recent scare, I'd feel better having a variety of options on hand, just in case. ;-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about try coconut oil?
I haven't had much luck with coconut oil for the hairballs.  But it does wonders for irritated skin!