Ibd / Digestive Issues

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never mind because I completely overthought it and I'm thinking in terms of people (I'm not sure how to edit sorry i was going to delete it though)

I hope he feels better despite which outcome. IBD in and of itself is just the worst. Thats coming from a person with it. But at least when he gets better, youll know he'll eat a ton.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Both you and Leroy must be so wiped out. It was a very long day for both of you..
:alright: :alright:
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

If I remember correctly, that is where Artie has his disease; distal duodenum/jejunum. I should look at the biopsy results to refresh my memory.

I opted for the endoscopic biopsy. I felt that it is less invasive. Artie was about 10.5 years old at that time.

Every cat is different. It was tuff for Artie. I think it took him about a week to recover from it.. He had bad tummy ache, and meat loafed for a long while. My heart was broken, thinking that I did that to him... but, I had to keep telling myself that it was to find out a way to help him..

***However, you have to realized that this was done at the EVIL Hospital, not at the Good, Wonderful, Awesome Place.***

How old is Leroy? The younger the better. Artie had disease for some time, so perhaps that is why the biopsy effected him so much.

There was a point, last year where the Vet was considering repeating it, but then decided not to. I had already decided that at Artie's age, I would not even consider him going through it. He was 13 years old..too old for it. That is when the Vet said, "No, we are not doing it again."

At least Leroy is home, with some meds, and should be a bit better. ((hugs)) :grouphug:

Been thinking about you guys all day. :grouphug2:

T TortitideBaby An endoscopy is from the mouth to get to the stomach and the beginnings of the small bowel. A colonoscopy is to get to the lower bowels, i.e. colon.
The anatomy of people and cats are similar. You have stomach, small intestine and then large intestine.. the Jejunum is part of the small intestine ~~ kind of in-between.. and to far away for a colonoscopy.

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Both you and Leroy must be so wiped out. It was a very long day for both of you..
:alright: :alright:
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

If I remember correctly, that is where Artie has his disease; distal duodenum/jejunum. I should look at the biopsy results to refresh my memory.

I opted for the endoscopic biopsy. I felt that it is less invasive. Artie was about 10.5 years old at that time.

Every cat is different. It was tuff for Artie. I think it took him about a week to recover from it.. He had bad tummy ache, and meat loafed for a long while. My heart was broken, thinking that I did that to him... but, I had to keep telling myself that it was to find out a way to help him..

***However, you have to realized that this was done at the EVIL Hospital, not at the Good, Wonderful, Awesome Place.***

How old is Leroy? The younger the better. Artie had disease for some time, so perhaps that is why the biopsy effected him so much.

There was a point, last year where the Vet was considering repeating it, but then decided not to. I had already decided that at Artie's age, I would not even consider him going through it. He was 13 years old..too old for it. That is when the Vet said, "No, we are not doing it again."

At least Leroy is home, with some meds, and should be a bit better. ((hugs)) :grouphug:

Been thinking about you guys all day. :grouphug2:

T TortitideBaby An endoscopy is from the mouth to get to the stomach and the beginnings of the small bowel. A colonoscopy is to get to the lower bowels, i.e. colon.
The anatomy of people and cats are similar. You have stomach, small intestine and then large intestine.. the Jejunum is part of the small intestine ~~ kind of in-between.. and to far away for a colonoscopy.
Ah ok. Im sorry for asking all of this. I'm new to this kinda stuff. Thanks!~

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ah ok. Im sorry for asking all of this. I'm new to this kinda stuff. Thanks!~
That's ok

Forgot to add.. I am almost certain that the biopsy will come back as IBD and not SCL...
Leroy is in too good physical condition for it to be SCL..:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

You have taken such good care of him.. His entire life..

gotta go.. Artie wants food, and I have to give him his last med of the day, before I can feed him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why can't the scope be made longer? :gaah::think:

Leroy has had an endoscopy before. He was doing a gagging / gasping / snorting thing that the vet wanted to find the cause of. Nothing was ever found:doh: Leroy was zooming around later the same day so I'm sure he'll be fine with another endoscopy.

I wonder if any of Leroy's siblings have similar digestive issues? :think:

artiemom artiemom , do you keep a journal / notebook for Artie to track his progress? I was thinking of starting one for Leroy since we're in the beginning stages of this journey. It might be helpful for the vet. I didn't really keep one for my previous cats but had this huge binder full of blood glucose curves in addition to the main spreadsheet I kept on my Google account. Vet found both extrememly helpful. I've been looking at the "bullet journal" trend and it seems doable. A basic daily calendar / Day Planner-type thing is probably all I need:think:

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
How is Leroy today? How old is he? Is he doing ok today? :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Looked at Artie's records. He was 11.5 years old when he had his endo-biopsy.

They biopsied the duodenum, tried to go further, into the jejunum, but could not. They did find some disease in the duodenum, but not much. I think the worst of his IBD is in the jejunum. That is why he was vomiting so much. As time went on, he developed the stool issues. And I discovered the chicken allergy. He was vomiting almost immediately after eating chicken. Took the chicken away, and he was improved.

I am not as organized as you! I am pretty old fashioned and hap-hazard.

A journal/ day calendar is a great idea..

I do have a a couple of calendars, (my notes), about Artie's daily stool, size, consistency.
I have a separate calendar for his food intake.. how much.. and if he vomits.

I just created an easy document on word, as a daily reminder of his meds. It is like a flow chart, of when and which meds I give. It also reminds me about meds. I also summarize the other 2 calendars under each day.

I found it easier for me, doing it this way.

I just take the medication flow sheet with me, for Vet appointments. Although, with all the updates I give him, he and his secretary pretty much know what is going on.

With Artie, things can change within hours. That is why we are monitoring him so carefully.
He is on a ton of meds, with all his issues.

It was kind of like the flow sheet you get when you are discharged from a hospital; listing all your meds and what time of the day to take them. I needed that because Artie was on so many meds. I needed to keep things a bit separate, but organized.

The separate calendars made things easier for me. I could see his stool consistency, and his food intake.. and take it from there.

If I were you, I would probably use a chart for his stool, food and vomiting.

I found it was really easy to go back and see how long his transit time is for food or meds to effect him. For Artie, his transit time is just over 2 days. What I give him today, will effect his stools in just over 2 days. Same with food.

I have extra calendars just for this reason. I find it easier than using a computer.
I just verbally summarize my findings to the Vet.

I am so old.. not really into spreadsheets or computerized charting.

Yes, a day to day journal/calendar is probably the best for you to use. You could even get 'fancy' and use different colored pens/ink for different items. It would probably make it easier to read...

I found combining it daily, was a bit much, that is why I do things separate then put them together for easier use and to make it easier to read.

You should have seen me at first.. so confused!! I was walking in there with a million calendars, notes, etc... I ended up just simplifying things..

Sorry if I am rambling.. just having fights with Comcast.. waiting for a supervisor to call me back.. :livid:

:goodluck: :grouphug:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy is only 7, not quite senior age. Emma is only a few weeks older than he is. I'm bracing myself for Emma to develop health issues more complicated than the FORLs:paranoid: All my pets are guaranteed get some health issue when they get old:doh:

I haven't noticed any difference if Leroy eats chicken or rabbit so the IBD flare ups might not even be protein-related.

Leroy is being "normal" today. He woke me up for breakfast. He didn't want to come into the bathroom but I think he's still wary of getting Pepcid which he's not getting anymore. He ate breakfast just fine. Then he went back to bed and he's still there now, just moved under the covers. Tonight he gets another dose of Cerenia and B12. Leroy isn't lip smacking but the vet still wants me to give Cerenia. I'll give it before dinner so it has time to work.

I dug out an old notebook that will work. It's a small one, about 6" by 8". I just need to go to Staples to get bigger discs and some specific refills. I think a weekly calendar format would work best but we'll see :think: There's a phone app for bullet journalling but that's too tech-y for me. Google has templates but I don't want to have to turn on the computer to add or edit info or use my phone.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Leroy and Emma are still babies!! Artie was 8 when I adopted him, and he will be 14 in a couple of weeks.

My flow sheet is weekly. I think it is easier that way. I am not computer oriented. It was just enough for me to make up a weekly med chart for him, and add my comments. It has worked for a while now.. perhaps about 8 months, easier to keep track of.

Glad Leroy is eating!! :cheerleader: How are his poops? :hangin:
The smell from IBD is enough to choke a horse!!:crackup:

Yes, this allergy could be from an additive, but who knows what? anything is possible..

I think the 'stars' line up to give animals with special needs to 'special' people.. like you and me... yup, always.. My last cat, as a kitten, I was feeding through a doll's baby bottle, and eyedroppers.. that was before kitten feeding bottles were in existence.. She went on to develop diabetes!!! Yes, we are 'special' people..:flail::devilish:

Leroy seems very smart. He was very fast to coordinate the bathroom with the Pepcid.. nasty tasting substance..

The Cerenia is, 'just in case'... and to calm his tummy down a bit, so he can eat.
Glad he has an appetite.:yess:

As far as Emma goes, Do not Jinx yourself!! or her!! I try not to be superstitious;
however, sometimes, I wonder..........

Glad your having a good day..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's still having normal poop, if a little soft and stinky :barfgreen: Probiotics would help but I'm wary of adding anything to his diet right now :paranoid:

I got my sample of EZComplete. I just need to find meat to use it with. There isn't much of a selection at the supermarket: beef, pork, chicken, turkey:ohwell: The turkey is Shady Brook Farms brand which adds extra stuff so I can't use that. I'll have to try another supermarket.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Stinky poop is something I had to learn to live with. It really stinks up the litter, when it sits for a while. YUCK! :confused: :gaah: It is a stinky 'present'.

Glad the E-Z Complete arrived.
I did not know Shady Brook contains 'other' stuff. That is not good :gaah::noway:
Probably a salting solution, instead of brining, to make it more tender and tasteful.

Did you consider trying pork? or are you not using it as an option... Just to try something different..It could help, a different novel protein could work..:rolleyes: :ruminating:

Yup, I think a hand written notebook will be easier to write notes in.. or a handwritten calendar. It is easier than bringing out your phone or computer for each entry.
At least, that is what I do. It is also easier for me to refer back to...

The Cerenia must really be helping Leroy with nausea. :bliss:

Gotta go...

:vibes::vibes::vibes: for a good day!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not tried pork other than when NV had a canned pork formula. I found a local butcher shop that sells raw meat for BARF / raw diets for pets. I need to go check it out. The web site says that they can get any type of meat, offal, and bone except for green tripe. Hopefully prices are reasonable:crossfingers: I could try an ethnic market but who knows what additives may have been added. Labels are either in very poor English or no English at all.

Leroy also doesn't cover up his poop:doh: :barfgreen: But I'll take normal stinky poop to diarrhea or no poop at all.

The pill cutter just crushes half a pill :rolleyes: Today's dose of Cerenia is powder so I'm just going to mix it in with Leroy's dinner.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley: LTS3 LTS3 I've been reading your thread but when it comes to treating IBD, you and artiemom artiemom know a lot more than I do, so I've just been reading and learning. The vet thinks my Chula might have IBD so you both are teaching me a lot. Anyway, I wanted to offer my support for you and the little guy. :bouquet: :hugs::hugs::hugs: I hope he feels better soon. :heartshape:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know if I would trust an ethnic butcher.. it is just me, because I can only speak English, and not know what they may be saying or implying.. not being racist.. just uneducated...

FYI, Cerenia is a very bitter pill. I use an empty gel cap for it, although, Artie is getting 1/2 a tablet..

Now, When the Vet had me cut his Cyproheptadine into 1/3 of a dose which was already 1/2 of a pill. Doing that makes my head spin. I end up using the pill cutter, only going halfway down and spitting that with my fingers and a needle nosed old manicure tweezer. Try getting THAT into a capsule??

I think I would use a local butcher. Is there a good one near you? At least, that is what I would do...

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks margd margd :)

I ended up getting a normal sized notebook at Staples, the same kind I already have in a smaller version. I figured it would be easier to put in print outs. I've started putting in all the info starting from the vet appointment last week. I think I'm going to return the colored pens I bought. I didn't realize that they are medium ballpoint:doh: I prefer rollerball or very fine tip. Staples oddly didn't have much of a selection and the huge multi-colored packs were like $30. I'm going to have to find some online.

Leroy ate dinner with the powdered Cerenia just fine :D He seems ok at the moment:crossfingers: No nausea or crouching. No poop yet but maybe he'll go after I clean the box before bedtime.

The butcher isn't that local but I can get there by bus. It's a few blocks from the Lechmere T station and has been around since the 1930s.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, LTS3 LTS3 . Sorry I'm late getting to this thread; I somehow missed the notification.

Since I don't raw feed, I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I'm doing my best.

He was crouching on the floor which I'm paranoid about now :paranoid: Not meatloafing, just crouching down on all fours.
In Jasmine that means she's about to either barf or spit up a hair ball.

Too many changes at once can make things worse..
Not to mention that they make it impossible to narrow down the possible causes of changes in Leroy's condition, in either direction. You need as much data as you can get!

Flagyl --horrible tasting stuff--just warning you. I was not prepared for it being so nasty.. even compounded into a flavored liquid. gross.
It doesn't just taste horrible, everything tastes horrible as long as it's in the system. I've been on it before, for yeast infections.

I was reading the RawIBDKitties web site and it says that vomiting hairballs is not normal.
Really? How else is a cat supposed to get rid of the nasty things?

Lately he's makes himself comfy on the bed after he has his snack. Of course, he's in my spot so I have to push him over:rolleyes:
Well, duh. It's your spot; therefore it must be the best spot. ;) Also, of course, it's the spot that smells most like Leroy's favorite human, which makes it his comfort place.

artiemom artiemom downplays her record keeping ability, but the fact is that she makes such careful observations that she figures out what works best for Artie before the Good Vet even has a chance to do so. Knowing you, LTS3 LTS3 , I feel certain that you will do the same.

Regarding the length of the endoscope, when Roger had to have a colonoscopy I took him to the hospital where they were doing it because, of course, he had to be sedated and therefore needed a ride. So I was sitting in the waiting room, reading a really boring magazine, when the doctor came out and asked if I was Roger's wife. When I said "Yes" he said "You have a really tall husband" (Roger is 6'7"). I bit my tongue and didn't say "Thank you for that diagnosis, Doctor," and he continued, explaining that the scope he was using wasn't long enough to complete the job so Roger was going to need to go down to X-Ray so they could finish up. (For some reason Roger is not fond of this story.)

However, I agree that, given the variation in size between different cats they really ought to make feline endoscopes long enough to reliably do what they're supposed to do. I wonder whether they could use a dog endoscope?

And finally, I agree intensely with your desire to avoid FaceBook, LTS3 LTS3 . I also stay off of FB, and I refuse to do business with companies which do all of their marketing through FB.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :catrub:

:alright: :hugs: Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret I think you are exaggerating a lot, when describing me.. I am just obsessed with keeping Artie well, while trying to understand, (if possible) this disease and it's impact on him...
NVet and his Secretary, are awesome with their support and encouragement, allowing me to do so..

LTS3 LTS3 let us know how the day has gone.. keep us updated..

I feel that even though not many people are comment, replying.. there are a lot of people reading this thread...watching and waiting..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy was his usual self this morning: whining and walking all over me to wake me up :doh: He ate breakfast and drank some water. Then he proceeded to crouch on the entryway rug. At least he wasn't staring at the floor or off into the distance. He was alert and even let Emma play with his tail.

More normal poop this morning :clap:

artiemom artiemom downplays her record keeping ability, but the fact is that she makes such careful observations that she figures out what works best for Artie before the Good Vet even has a chance to do so. Knowing you, LTS3 LTS3 , I feel certain that you will do the same.
My brain is beyond fried at the moment :thud: A lot of :censored: :argh:to deal with at work and stuff. With my previous cat I had a binder full of all his blood glucose numbers and trends. I haven't had the energy to start something similar with Leroy although getting the notebook yesterday and putting the past week's info in is a start. I know the vet will pretty much let me take control of how to manage Leroy's issue. He's just there to prescribe meds and make recommendations and suggestions.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leroy was his usual self this morning: whining and walking all over me to wake me up :doh: He ate breakfast and drank some water. Then he proceeded to crouch on the entryway rug. At least he wasn't staring at the floor or off into the distance. He was alert and even let Emma play with his tail.

:dance: :bunnydance: :celebrate:

My brain is beyond fried at the moment :thud: A lot of :censored: :argh:to deal with at work and stuff. With my previous cat I had a binder full of all his blood glucose numbers and trends. I haven't had the energy to start something similar with Leroy although getting the notebook yesterday and putting the past week's info in is a start.
:hugs: And yet, here you are on TCS, giving us updates on Leroy. This is actually a good start on that kind of record keeping. Sometimes I think it would be useful to ask the Good Vet to sign up as a member here so that he can check Leroy's threads and Artie's thread and be in the loop all the time. But then I think "No, LTS3 LTS3 and artiemom artiemom need to feel free to vent here, and knowing that the vet would see it would inhibit them." :sigh: Solutions are never easy, are they?

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

My brain is beyond fried at the moment :thud: A lot of :censored: :argh:to deal with at work and stuff. With my previous cat I had a binder full of all his blood glucose numbers and trends. I haven't had the energy to start something similar with Leroy although getting the notebook yesterday and putting the past week's info in is a start. I know the vet will pretty much let me take control of how to manage Leroy's issue. He's just there to prescribe meds and make recommendations and suggestions.
Great update!!! :yess::yess::yess::yess: Go Leroy!!! :yess: You can do it!!! :cheerleader:

Of course your feel brain dead! :eek:
Between all the junk going on at work, and now having to deal with your buddy's medical issues... well, it is enough to just :gaah: :runaround: :shocked:

Try to take a bit of time for yourself. I know it is difficult to do, but, now that Leroy is kind of stable; do something kind for YOU.. listen to music, read, watch a good movie, funny show.. something just to recharge yourself... kind of step back and just be-- until it is time for the next thing... You have to take care of yourself, in order to take really good care of Leroy, and Emma. :bouquet:

Starting a notebook is a great beginning.. just go from there.. the ideas will come.:hangin:

No offense, but I think the Vet does a bit more than just make recommendations and prescribe meds.. at least with me.. He has so many ideas.. and so much knowledge!
:dance: :bunnydance: :celebrate:

:hugs: And yet, here you are on TCS, giving us updates on Leroy. This is actually a good start on that kind of record keeping. Sometimes I think it would be useful to ask the Good Vet to sign up as a member here so that he can check Leroy's threads and Artie's thread and be in the loop all the time. But then I think "No, LTS3 LTS3 and artiemom artiemom need to feel free to vent here, and knowing that the vet would see it would inhibit them." :sigh: Solutions are never easy, are they?

Margret
Margret Margret Wouldn't THAT be something! :bliss: :dizzycat:
Having a Vet on line here, monitoring his patient's progress.. :crackup: :flail:
:hellocomputer:

On his behalf, I do not think the Vet has one minute to do anything!! He is always
running!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've known the vet for years now. He has admitted that he lets me take control of my cat's illness because I'm so proactive. I always run things past him first.
I need a week off from work but that's not going to happen anytime soon :thud:Too much going on in the next few weeks plus we're down a person for who knows how long :livid:

I added pages with current diet, medicines, and supplements. It's never going to be as nice as the ones you see online but I suspect those were professionally done and photo staged because lines are perfectly straight, letters are exactly aligned, fonts are fancy, colors are just so, etc.