Ibd / Digestive Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An idea: could you possibly go in late tomorrow, drop off Leroy at the hospital, he can have his ultrasound during the day, you pick him up on your way home and speak with Vet at that time??
Nope :sigh: We're short staffed as it is. It doesn't help that the supervisor's BFF comes in maybe 9:30 or later. One person on the team has been pulled back to the other team because they're down 3 people. In theory someone from the larger team can help out but it's unlikely that would ever happen. The department keeps emphasizing helping others out but that's just BS:censored:

Leroy will have to wait until Friday. Vet is going to see if I can drop Leroy off in the morning and pick him up later.

Try not to beat yourself up over giving Leroy the S. Boulardi.. honestly, this flare could have just been on the verge of beginning. You probably did not do anything wrong by given the S.B....
This is the insidious cycle of IBD: vomiting, inappetence, diarrhea... meat loafing...
until it is under control; even then, it is a crap shoot, day to day.
I just feel that if I hadn't given S. boulardii, Leroy would be ok until his ultrasound next week:frown:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not beat yourself up!! You were trying to help. Honestly, I do not feel this is all caused by the SB. I think this flare was on the verge.

If it wasn't the SB, it could have been anything.. and everything..

If the SB was a causative of this episode, then Leroy was on the 'verge'.. it just happened to tip things. It is ok.. you were trying. This is really what IBD is all about.. You are just in the beginning stages of it. The first attack.

fingers and paws crossed :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: that his tummy will calm down a bit, along with his poops.. and his appetite will increase. :crossfingers: :hugs:

Are you getting anything for his nausea, appetite, or is the Vet waiting until after the ultrasound?
Vet may also want to add an antibiotic: Flagyl --horrible tasting stuff--just warning you. I was not prepared for it being so nasty.. even compounded into a flavored liquid. gross.

I was not with this particular vet when Artie got his initial diagnosis; however, I think the treatment is pretty much the same ~~ pepcid, cerenia, steroid, flagyl.. along with close follow-up.. I may be forgetting something, because it has been a few years. Just need to calm down his tummy.. oh, and possibly an probiotic. And then the possibility of a biopsy.. No steroid if you are considering biopsy. This Vet may not push for a biopsy. The EVIL Vet, I had at the time, you know, Evil Vet, insisted on a biopsy.

Just wanted to let you know what is ahead.

As far as work: I really despise the phrase "Team Players" and "Team"... infuriates me.. when in actually, it is not a 'team'.. it is each one out for themselves.. :disturbed: :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

When I was working and my dad was still alive, I originally got a lot of flack about taking time off for my dad~~~ and I was on FMLA for his care!!! My boss was really harassing me..wanted to know what time my dad appointments were, and actually told me I leave work, and could return back to work!!! OMG.. My father was in his 80's!! a doctors appointment wiped him out for the entire day!! I had to be there for him.. It was MY time which I had accumulated over the years-- by not taking vacations and not using sick time!!! I was furious!!

I ended up lying and stating different duration of time.. and I always called, well after the appointment ~~~ always said we had to wait for the doctor, exam or that my dad was too sick to leave him alone; or called when it would be foolish for me to get back to work. I extended my time off. and I complained very nicely about her micromanaging my time, to her supervisor. :cloudy:

That made me a NON-"team player".... but gave me more time with my dad.

When I was on workman's comp, I got the same treatment. She even predicted the travel time back and forth to doctors appointments.. It was absolutely ridiculous. A form of harassment.. but difficult to prove in court.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The prescriptions weren't ready when I went to pick them up. The vet forgot but did put them in when the front desk called him. He even came out to talk to me about Leroy. I have Cerenia (1/4 tablet SID), mirtz (0.12 ml SID), and sub q fluids (100 ml SID). I'm to stop the liquid Pepcid for now. B12 injections are to continue as prescribe which is weekly at the moment.

I opted for a Lyft ride home. I wanted to get home as quickly as possible. It's not doable with taking 3 public transit busses during rush hour, which would take at least an hour and a half :headshake:

Leroy was somewhat perked up when I got home. I could tell he had more diarrhea just by the smell walking through the door :cringe: And Emma decided to leave a hairball on the entryway mat :doh: I was reading the RawIBDKitties web site and it says that vomiting hairballs is not normal. Guess I have to put Emma on probiotics and digestive enzymes at some point in the future.
Leroy whined for dinner which was a good sign. I gave him one NV medallion, no HT / Alnutrin mixed in. He ate it all :yess::woo: Emma got Leroy's breakfast which I had saved in the fridge. It just has FortiFlora, freeze dried giblets, and canned food gravy mixed in. I called the vet and asked if I still had to give Cerenia and fluids tonight. His response was just Cerenia, tomorrow no Cerenia or fluids if Leroy continues to eat.

The mirtz is just in case the Cerenia doesn't help and Leroy still isn't eating by Thursday morning. I saw on the Yahoo Group that someone has mirtz compounded as a transdermal gel and it works wonders. I don't think vet hospital pharmacy has the ability to do that. Applying a gel would be a lot easier and stressful than syringing a liquid or popping a pill into a cat. Can I hide the mirtz in food?

Leroy has taken Flagyl before when he had an upset tummy and mushy poop caused by a new brand of raw food I was trying. He hated taking it. He foamed and drooled.

The ultrasound is scheduled for this Friday. I have to drop Leroy off in the morning and pick him up whenever he's ready, probably in the afternoon.

Leroy might want his usual snack soon. I was planning to give him the Cerenia with the pill gun and then chase it down with the snack. I opted not to get the Pill Pockets because I didn't know if Leroy had an appetite to eat them.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
It really sounds so positive!

Leroy feels better and is eating on his own!!
You have all the meds you need that is great. Vet is awesome!

I am not certain about the dermal mirtz patch. Just not familiar with it.

Poor Emma. I would think she is stressed, also, because of Leroy.
Just take one day at a time about Emma. Do not automatically jump to conclusions.

Yes. You can hide the Mirtz in food. Anything he will eat.

Sounds as if Leroy's tummy is calming down. Finally

Keep us updated as to what happens overnight!!!

Glad you got a Lyft home. You do not need anymore additional stress.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long does it take for Cerenia to kick in? I gave 1/4 tablet about half an hour ago and Leroy ate his snack. Now he's lip smacking again:doh:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, I would give it a couple of hours. Leroy has been feeling very poorly, so it may take a bit longer.

Personally, Artie's dose is 1/2 of a 16 mg pill daily as needed.

Give it a bit longer

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
You do have to give it on an empty stomach. I wait 30 minutes before feeding

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:doh::doh: It'll probably still kick in, just later with all the food in his stomach. If Leroy eats tomorrow, he won't need another dose.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Cerenia eventually kicked in last night and Leroy stopped lip smacking. Poor guy was ready for bed before I was :frown: Normally he's zooming around while I'm getting ready for bed. Lately he's makes himself comfy on the bed after he has his snack. Of course, he's in my spot so I have to push him over:rolleyes:

This morning he woke me up demanding to be fed :woo: He didn't want to come into the bathroom with me but I think he was afraid of getting Pepcid. I've stopped giving that per the vet. Leroy's appetite was good :clap: He didn't poop but that's ok. The poop will come out at some point today. Leroy was crouching by the time I left. His tummy must still hurt somewhat. I mentioned that to the secretary when I called her today with an update. She hasn't called back yet with the vet's response.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds so good.. a great update!! :yess:

You go Leroy!!! :clapcat: :gingercat: He must be so exhausted.. :sleep2: He needs his rest.

Many times, I have found that when the secretary does not return a call, that means the Vet will call, personally.. makes it kind of easier, in case either one of you have questions.

Now, on to the ultrasound! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have normal poop :woo::woohoo::poop: It's a little softer and a million times more stinkier than normal but I'll take it.

I didn't get a call back from either the secretary or vet. It's ok. I'm all set for tomorrow and Leroy is a bit better than he was a day ago.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
How was Leroy during the night?
Good Luck with the Ultrasound. :crossfingers::crossfingers: :goodluck:

Keep us updated! :goldstar:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be a PITA, but is there an update on Leroy? anything? Or would/have to wait for a bit longer? Until the really end of the day, when you can speak one-on-one with Vet?

Just concerned, and worried....

Not pressing.. whenever you feel up to it.. I understand completely.. ((hugs))

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted about Leroy's possible IBD on the Raw forum but thought I'd post here too.

I'm just looking for what others have tried to successully treat their cat's IBD. Leroy is currently on NV raw (both rabbit and chicken), liquid Pepcid, and will start B12 injections this weekend. I'm going to add probiotics back to his diet as well as a S. boulardii product. Someone mentioned digestive enzymes. What brand is a good one to try?

Raw is supposed to be great for digestive issues but Leroy has been eating raw his entire life. Can commerical raw still cause similar digestive issues as canned and dry foods? Do I need to change the diet from NV to a recipe?

How likely would a food allergy cause digestive issue and how soon would that happen? Leroy currently has a healing bald spot on his head that was caused by an allergy to the Blue Ridge chub of chicken I was feeding along with the NV (mixed with Alnutrin). The vomiting of clear liquid and gurgly stomach and lip smacking didn't start until the last few containers of Blue Ridge :think: I think I made up the Blue Ridge / Alnutrin mixture up in early December. I normally use HT but the pet store didn't have HT at the time so I bought Blue Ridge. Leroy has eaten Blue Ridge in the past with no issue at all.

Are there any non-FB IBD forums you recommend?
Oh my god, your cat has the name of my dog and all his issues to boot! (Down to the meowing for food!)

But from experience, at least with doggo allergies (my cat doesn't have allergies to my knowledge), some of the symptoms would sound like they'e from allergies but others don't. When Leroy was sick, he'd have similar stuff and we ended up cooking his meals and getting him allergy tested. He was raw himself because of the allergies.

Im sure the other signs point to allergy too, but I never experienced it. Might be different for cats, but that was my experience with a dog with 16 allergies (Leroy)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy's home now. The ultrasound confirmed what the vet felt during the appointment: thickening of the intestines, the jejunum specifically. The only way to tell if it's IBD or small cell lymphoma is either an edoscopy or exploratory surgery. The vet is leaning towrds endoscopy even though that may not even be helpful since the jejunum is the very last part of the small intestines and the scope can't reach that far. He's leaving it up to me to decide. For now I'm to continue the meds as discussed: Cerenia daily, mirtz and fluids if needed, B12 weekly. The vet is in tomorrow if there are any issues with Leroy. I briefly talked with the vet as he was leaving for the day.

TortitideBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Leroy's home now. The ultrasound confirmed what the vet felt during the appointment: thickening of the intestines, the jejunum specifically. The only way to tell if it's IBD or small cell lymphoma is either an edoscopy or exploratory surgery. The vet is leaning towrds endoscopy even though that may not even be helpful since the jejunum is the very last part of the small intestines and the scope can't reach that far. He's leaving it up to me to decide. For now I'm to continue the meds as discussed: Cerenia daily, mirtz and fluids if needed, B12 weekly. The vet is in tomorrow if there are any issues with Leroy. I briefly talked with the vet as he was leaving for the day.
Wait, is it not possible for a cat to get a colonoscopy? (Or is endoscopy used in that sense?) Wouldnt that be easier than an endoscopy to find the thickening? (Though even then, I would guess it'd go only to the illeum..)

I hope he's going to do fine!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it is but a biopsy can't be taken with a colonoscopy. The biopsy sample is needed to determine IBD or small cell lymphoma.