IBD/anemia on steroids... Suggestions for weight loss

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,
It's been a while since I've posted, it's been a few months after my two older cats passed and adjusting to the new home life.
Now that I actually have time to focus on my baby girl Sadie, I'm trying to be proactive in her care. She has been on steroids for IMHA, and also has very mild IBD. Luckily, she can eat chicken, salmon and duck - just no other fishy products. I've weened out all foods that trigger her, and her favorite is either Stella and Chewys freeze dried raw chicken, or Wuerva Chicken and pumpkin.
She had a rough bout last spring that caused us to raise her steroids back up to 5mg a day, but we've finally tapered down to 1mg a day. She's doing really well, but has some extra "princess" chub I'm trying to help her get rid of. 🤣 I checked on the cat size scale and she's about a 7.
We've been playing every day, and her diet is a lot more regular as well. She doesn't overeat, I think it's honestly just weight from the steroid increase last year.
Is there anything else I can be doing with her to help her loose some ounces? I can't really feed her special weight loss food because of the IBD, but am trying to think of ways I can help her.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same as with us two-leggers...decrease in calorie input and increase in calorie output. Maybe some broths to try and fill her up with more liquid?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same as with us two-leggers...decrease in calorie input and increase in calorie output. Maybe some broths to try and fill her up with more liquid?
Lol isn't that the truth...
Hm, that might be a good idea! I usually feed in the am before work, then when I come home and one more small feeding before bed. Of course hubby WFH so he give her "snacks" when she bugs him. Maybe I'll buy some bone broth for him to give her when she gets a hankering. Thanks for the suggestion!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She doesn’t get anything kibble or dry, right? What do you give her the pred in?

I would honestly count your blessings that she is slightly pudgie instead of very thin like my cat withIBD/ lymphoma.

it is great that you play with her. You can try reducing her diet by 5% and see where that puts you. But, if it was my cat, I wouldn’t.if she is doing well, sometimes it’s best to not rock the boat.

Does she need the pumpkin? Some cats are very sensitive to carbs and as long as they get some carbs it will be hard for them to lose weight. But only you and your vet know if she truly needs the pumpkin.

Can you post a picture of her for reference?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how much you have researched IMHA, but steroids may not be the only option. It is an immune-mediated disease, which from my understanding will require ongoing care/treatment. I kind of agree with the idea not to 'rock the boat'. What does your vet say about your cat's weight?

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
She doesn’t get anything kibble or dry, right? What do you give her the pred in?

I would honestly count your blessings that she is slightly pudgie instead of very thin like my cat withIBD/ lymphoma.

it is great that you play with her. You can try reducing her diet by 5% and see where that puts you. But, if it was my cat, I wouldn’t.if she is doing well, sometimes it’s best to not rock the boat.

Does she need the pumpkin? Some cats are very sensitive to carbs and as long as they get some carbs it will be hard for them to lose weight. But only you and your vet know if she truly needs the pumpkin.

Can you post a picture of her for reference?
No dry kibble at all. And I have it down that I can pill her with my finger - we do it at breakfast and dinner, so she eats some wet food, I pill, then she eats the rest. ☺ She is such a good girl.
We do the pumpkin every few days as it actually seems to help her - it keeps her regular and I don't have to worry about IBD flares either too loose or too hard. It's not that much though, it's mixed in with the wet food. And I don't give it every day. More like every other day.

It's been a 4 year journey with her IMHA... About a year or two in we found she also had the IBD. To your point, while I've thought of trying another immunotherapy, I was too scared to rock the boat.

The vet said she would feel better if she lost a few ounces, but honestly I think I'm just going to tell her let's see if it happens naturally. I really don't want to press my luck right now lol.

Here is the princess Sadie pants, my polydactyl torbie girl. ❤

Attachments

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, just back for a quick update!
The vet was open to my concerns with weight loss for Sadie. She understood the concern, and agreed we should go at this slowly and try not to rock the boat too much.
We slowly implemented some newer foods (tiki cat mousse) to help keep her on a grain free wet diet while reducing the carb content in her food. She likes them, so that's a plus.
The good news is that she has lost about 4 ounces these past few months! (She was 15.4 lbs in January) The vet thought that was good progress, not too much and not too fast. So we'll just keep going at it slowly and see how the next few months go.
Here's my snuggle buddy enjoying a post play nap with mama. ❤

Attachments