I Think One Of The Newborn Kitten Is Sick

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help me. 2 weeks ago my cat gave birth to 5 kittens and sadly two kittens didn't survive :( only three are remaining and the other one looks small than the other two and i was concerned because of the eye discharge and keep sneezing. I am planning to take it to the vet this morning. I don't know what to do.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing what you need to do so far, taking the little guy to the vet. I'm sure there will be antibiotics involved. You may have to supplement feedings as well, so I'm going to tag a couple of members who have a LOT of experience with this, which I do not. @arouetta, StefanZ StefanZ , @catwoman707, you three come to mind right away. Please help this lady. One (well, all) of you knows just what to do to give this kitten the best chance for survival!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
W wifeofdave

Have you seen the vet yet?

The kitten likely has an upper respiratory infection (URI) and needs antibiotics.

As Mamany said, you may need to feed it supplementally with kitten formula and a syringe.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aside from teh vet report, please describe more of the circumstances. It will be easier to give advices re supplementing and such.
What country are you in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are doing what you need to do so far, taking the little guy to the vet. I'm sure there will be antibiotics involved. You may have to supplement feedings as well, so I'm going to tag a couple of members who have a LOT of experience with this, which I do not. @arouetta, StefanZ StefanZ , @catwoman707, you three come to mind right away. Please help this lady. One (well, all) of you knows just what to do to give this kitten the best chance for survival!
Thank you for the reply. I took my kitten this morning to the vet and the vet gave her antibiotics and cleaned her eyes.

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
W wifeofdave

Have you seen the vet yet?

The kitten likely has an upper respiratory infection (URI) and needs antibiotics.

As Mamany said, you may need to feed it supplementally with kitten formula and a syringe.
The doctor gave her antibiotics and advise me to buy "biomilk" if the kitten don't feed on mother.

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you have been able to get the little sick kitten to a vet. Please let us know how he gets along. Best wishes.
I took her to vet and the vet gave her antibiotics and cleaned her eyes. The vet advised me to buy "biomilk" to feed the kitten because she's thinner than other kittens.

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aside from teh vet report, please describe more of the circumstances. It will be easier to give advices re supplementing and such.
What country are you in?
the kitten is thinner and smaller unlike the other two. Her eyes keeps discharging and keeps sneezing that's why i took her to vet. I'm from the Philippines :)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that being smaller and weaker than his/her siblings the little one is at disadvantage to get fed by their mum. Could you supervise their feeding and make sure the little one gets a fair share?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you get the milk?

Supplement the kitten using a needleless syringe or a dropper.

Feed the kitten on its tummy with head up, never on its back. Put drops slowly in the side of the mouth, allowing time for the kitten to swallow and breathe in between.

Keep the milk and the kitten warm while feeding. Give the kitten 1-2 mLs every 2 hours.

Let us know how this goes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I see the vet though essentially as we; gave antibiotics and recommended supplement feeding.

The question is, what this bio-milk is for something? Usually we dont recommend cow milk, but goats milk is OK. Or some sort of kitten mother milk replacement = kmr...

I wrote usually we dont recommend cow milk, but it seems raw milk from cows of old types, is much less dangerous than pasterized low fat milk from cows of modern type. By the same reason, buffalo milk seems OK.
So possibly this bio milk is one of the few exceptions to this main rule...

Its good to weigh the kitten every day, so you see if it gains. The minimum daily gain is 6grammes, but most healthy kittens gain 10 grammes or even more.

W wifeofdave

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides the supplement ordered by the vet it is essential that the kitten gets a fair share of mum's milk. Are you certain the little kitten is getting it.?

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be that being smaller and weaker than his/her siblings the little one is at disadvantage to get fed by their mum. Could you supervise their feeding and make sure the little one gets a fair share?
Sadly this kitten and her another sibling died. There's only one remaining kitten in the litter and she went missing. I'm currently finding the kitten right now.

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides the supplement ordered by the vet it is essential that the kitten gets a fair share of mum's milk. Are you certain the little kitten is getting it.?

This kitten and her other sibling died. Only one remains in the litter abd she's currently missing.

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if the last remaining kitten in the litter went missing or just her mother cat hide it. I keep looking for it everywhere in the house and i still couldn't find it. I'm scared that something might happen since she's the only remaining kitten (her 4 siblings died). Btw, she's only 3 weeks old and 2 days. Give me some tips please

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about the little ones who didn't make it. I hope you have found the missing kitten. I know it happens sometimes that the mum takes her little ones away and hide them. I suppose this is what happened because a kitten so young cannot go away by himself. The best way is to try and follow her since she is sure to "visit" the hidden kitten. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us informed.

Last edited:

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about the little ones who didn't make it. I hope you have found the missing kitten. I know it happens sometimes that the mum takes her little ones away and hide them. I suppose this is what happened because a kitten so young cannot go away by himself. The best way is to try and follow her since she is sure to "visit" the hidden kitten. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us informed.
't

Is it possible that the kitten doesn't cry? Because I don't heat any that's why I'm scared and I have no clue where the kitten is.

wifeofdave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already found the kitten. Glad she is alive!