"i Only Want To Trust, And You Know It Don't Come Easy"

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi everyone!

I have been feeding stray/feral cats at store parking lot for six years now and have seen cats come and go. Two years ago a rescue team swooped in and trapped 20 of the cats but couldn't catch one stubborn tom cat. He was just too smart for their traps, he would sniff them and then just kept walking. I don't know if this tom is old but he sure is beaten up looking with cauliflower ears, one blind eye, and scars from head to toe. I have manged to befriend him and he comes up to me rubbing, purring, and allowing me to pet him. This is quite the honor because this cat has trust issues when it comes to people. I want to take him home with me, get him neutered, check over, and give him a good life. But HOW? How can I get him into my car without losing his trust or ending up in the ER?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I want to take him home with me, get him neutered, check over, and give him a good life. But HOW? How can I get him into my car without losing his trust or ending up in the ER?
Hi there and once again, welcome to TCS! :wave3:

Thank you for giving time and love for this tom cat. I'm sure he feels your love and care and therefore he shows up to you rubbing (leaving his scents on you and said in his way 'I own you now'!) purring and allowing you to be petted is one sure sign that he has trusted you.

If you do not have a cat currently at hoe, it'll be easier to get him home and be socialized maybe not by everyone but most importantly is you as he has already put his trust in you.

Getting him to the vet to have him checked over is just one time and it could be a trying time for him and you. It may not be easy at he vet but if you have a vet that's has experience in handling feral cats, it'll be much better and easier. Try not to get to newbie vets that have no experience with feral cats as they would not know how to handle them.
It'll be traumatizing for the cat as it is his first visit to the vet, first car ride, first time in a carrier and first time to a new home with all new surroundings and environment as compared to what he is used to.

But before you plan on capturing him, have a word with your feral friendly vet first and tell him or her that you are capturing this feral cat on which day and time so that once the cat is in your hands, you can immediately drive to the vet and get the vet to see thence without waiting and this will tremendously reduce the stress and anxiety for you and your cat.

In your home, prepare a safe room for him before hand. Make sure that there's no escape route and nothing dangerous in there to hurt him if he happens to struggle to get out.
Get the necessary litter box, water bowl and some tasty food and a cardboard box for him to retreat into and plug up all hiding holes.

Meanwhile, leave a piece or two of your clean unwashed garments where he is in the parking lot so that he'll continue to have your scent around him. Also do the same for the safe room.

You may want to enlist the help from these rescue teams. Once you are able to get him in a carrier, quickly bring him to the vet with all the prior arrangements with the vet done.

After the ordeal is over, it'll take some time, could be days, weeks, months or longer to have him regain his trust in you and in all that's surrounding him. But just don't give up and most importantly is to have patience, commitment, routines and give him all your love.

He has grown to trust you and I think there shouldn't be too much of a trouble getting him indoors.

Feel free to ask questions and other members may pour in with their knowledge in this area and once again, thank you for having a heart for this feral cat :clapcat:

He's a lovely boy! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Jeez, I hope I get at least one cat who can give me some feedback here.
Sometimes it takes awhile to have a thread answered as we have members all over the world and we are all in different time zones and those that are online may not be able to answer your queries and therefore it takes awhile to have a thread respond.

Don't worry, just :hangin: on in there and someone will come along and give you some tips :thumbsup:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does take time for us to see a new thread. So sorry! We are here though and evenings usually bring more people in to read.
I have brought in a lot of ferals. You have earned your way into his heart! That is the biggest hurdle. I used a for feedings. As the cat eats, I stay and keep them company. It takes awhile for them to trust going inside. Sometimes tossing treats into the back of the carrier gets them to run in a minute the first few times. I put the most tempting foods at the back of the carrier. A large carrier seems less scared to them and also will work better. Once the kitty is used to eating there and trusts you sitting next to the entrance, you just shut the door. Make sure it is securely latched and cover it with a towel or something. He’ll be scared but then you just take him , either ,straight to the vet or home. This has been the least traumatic method I have found and worked with cats that could not be trapped. It is my “go to” method. It may take a bit of time but from then on , use that carrier as his bed, feeding place and safe spit. It will come in very handy over the years if he always retreats to the carrier if he wants to hide. Vet visits are much easier if his safe place is always with him. My rescues all have their own little carrier house now.
I am sure that others will be posting to you very soon with more tips. You’ve already been. given some great information by tabbytom tabbytom
I hope this helps!
I think you are awesome for all you have done for that colony and now for this sweet boy! Thank you for caring and helping! :welcomesign::rock:
Great photo! Poor kitty needs you! That is a beautiful cat.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have done this a few times with stray/abandoned cats that come into my yard. I hope it works for you.
I use a regular animal carrier with the food bowl holding the door open . I feed the stray cat this way and finally place the bowl inside. Eventually the cat sometimes sleeps inside! :catlove: I close the door and carry the cat to another part of the patio and leave for a few minutes - then I return with sardines, open the door and watch. It's one way to eventually get a stray cat into a carrier .
Good luck :hellocomputer:

ComeBackKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might check to see if there is a vet or vet practice specifically for cats. That can make all the difference in the success of the visit.

I had a cat who needed 7 men, a blanket and squalling so loud she make the other animals yell, to get her shots. I did the walk of shame from each new vet’s office. Obviously I couldn’t go back.

I went to a cat clinic and there was magic. This small vet took her out, examined her and gave the shots. Miss Kitty purred the whole time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there and once again, welcome to TCS! :wave3:

Thank you for giving time and love for this tom cat. I'm sure he feels your love and care and therefore he shows up to you rubbing (leaving his scents on you and said in his way 'I own you now'!) purring and allowing you to be petted is one sure sign that he has trusted you.

If you do not have a cat currently at hoe, it'll be easier to get him home and be socialized maybe not by everyone but most importantly is you as he has already put his trust in you.

Getting him to the vet to have him checked over is just one time and it could be a trying time for him and you. It may not be easy at he vet but if you have a vet that's has experience in handling feral cats, it'll be much better and easier. Try not to get to newbie vets that have no experience with feral cats as they would not know how to handle them.
It'll be traumatizing for the cat as it is his first visit to the vet, first car ride, first time in a carrier and first time to a new home with all new surroundings and environment as compared to what he is used to.

But before you plan on capturing him, have a word with your feral friendly vet first and tell him or her that you are capturing this feral cat on which day and time so that once the cat is in your hands, you can immediately drive to the vet and get the vet to see thence without waiting and this will tremendously reduce the stress and anxiety for you and your cat.

In your home, prepare a safe room for him before hand. Make sure that there's no escape route and nothing dangerous in there to hurt him if he happens to struggle to get out.
Get the necessary litter box, water bowl and some tasty food and a cardboard box for him to retreat into and plug up all hiding holes.

Meanwhile, leave a piece or two of your clean unwashed garments where he is in the parking lot so that he'll continue to have your scent around him. Also do the same for the safe room.

You may want to enlist the help from these rescue teams. Once you are able to get him in a carrier, quickly bring him to the vet with all the prior arrangements with the vet done.

After the ordeal is over, it'll take some time, could be days, weeks, months or longer to have him regain his trust in you and in all that's surrounding him. But just don't give up and most importantly is to have patience, commitment, routines and give him all your love.

He has grown to trust you and I think there shouldn't be too much of a trouble getting him indoors.

Feel free to ask questions and other members may pour in with their knowledge in this area and once again, thank you for having a heart for this feral cat :clapcat:

He's a lovely boy! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:
Thank you for replying back! I do have a vet who is willing to work with me so I have a place to take him. There are five cats altogether over at that particular parking lot and I have already rescued one female who was so sick and weak that she was staggering around, therefore making it easy to reach down and pick her up. I will set up traps for the other four females, but the male is going to be a tougher nut to crack.

I just don't know how to get him into my car. One friend suggested I put the food in my car seat and see if he falls for that. I am at the point of grabbing him and taking my chances. I have asked my vet for sedates to put in his food, but he says there are no sedates that would take hold any quicker than half an hour.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You might check to see if there is a vet or vet practice specifically for cats. That can make all the difference in the success of the visit.

I had a cat who needed 7 men, a blanket and squalling so loud she make the other animals yell, to get her shots. I did the walk of shame from each new vet’s office. Obviously I couldn’t go back.

I went to a cat clinic and there was magic. This small vet took her out, examined her and gave the shots. Miss Kitty purred the whole time.

Thank you for answering my thread? But how do I get him into my car? He's too smart for live traps and if I try to grab him I could destroy the trust and not to mention get really hurt. I picked him up one time when he wasn't in the mood, due to the fact that he had just been in a fight, and when I didn't listen to his body language (like stiffening), he whirled around and almost got my thumb.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering my thread. But how do I get him into my car? He's too smart for live traps and if I try to grab him I could destroy the trust and not to mention get really hurt. I picked him up one time when he wasn't in the mood, due to the fact that he had just been in a fight, and when I didn't listen to his body language (like stiffening), he whirled around and almost got my thumb.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering my thread? But how do I get him into my car? He's too smart for live traps and if I try to grab him I could destroy the trust and not to mention get really hurt. I picked him up one time when he wasn't in the mood, due to the fact that he had just been in a fight, and when I didn't listen to his body language (like stiffening), he whirled around and almost got my thumb.

Oh shoot, I didn't mean to put a question mark behind the first sentence, I don't know how to edit on this site.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have done this a few times with stray/abandoned cats that come into my yard. I hope it works for you.
I use a regular animal carrier with the food bowl holding the door open . I feed the stray cat this way and finally place the bowl inside. Eventually the cat sometimes sleeps inside! :catlove: I close the door and carry the cat to another part of the patio and leave for a few minutes - then I return with sardines, open the door and watch. It's one way to eventually get a stray cat into a carrier .
Good luck :hellocomputer:

Thank you! I had not thought to use a carrier and I have a small dog carrier that would be perfect.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Lisa Pierson, a vet specializing in feline nutrition, also does rescue work. She has a page devoted to making and using a drop trap. It may give you some ideas!
Feral Cat Management/TNR Folding Drop Trap/Remote Control Trap
Thank you for the link,Tobermorey. :) I had not thought of a drop trap before and I am going to check them out at the store. You would think animal control would help in matters like this but my local animal control will only intervene if somebody has been bitten by a dog.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh shoot, I didn't mean to put a question mark behind the first sentence, I don't know how to edit on this site.
I think that after you’ve been a member for five days and reach 20 posts, you'll have the option to edit your messages. If you tap or click on the three horizontal lines in the lower left of your post, you’ll see the “edit” option. It’s time limited to about two hours after you hit “Post Reply.”

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that after you’ve been a member for five days and reach 20 posts, you'll have the option to edit your messages. If you tap or click on the three horizontal lines in the lower left of your post, you’ll see the “edit” option. It’s time limited to about two hours after you hit “Post Reply.”
Thank you for that help information, I hate looking dumb when replying to people. LOL!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tricky situation of trapping this cat and transporting him and the only way besides sedating him is to use a humane trap. Here's a link to one of our Advisor on how to trap a cat using a humane trap disguised with cardboard boxes :-
to-disguise-traps-for-trap-savvy-cats-paper-sacks-or-cardboard-box.393048

Saw drop trap gif idea :-
View attachment 291377

Thank you very much! Nobody had ever suggested that before and I am going to try it, I just wish I had started doing something like that when I first met him. Would you believe it took three years to get him to the point where he would allow me to pet him?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re doing fine! We all learn everything as we go. I have vision issues and often make typos that I don’t even notice. I blame them on the cat! Lol
It is not surprising that it took three years to pet the kitty. He is acting out of survival instincts. He’s a very savvy cat. I really hope you don’t just “get him in your car.” Once you shut the door he would probably hide under the seat and if you drive with him loose in the car, it’s dangerous for you both. He may panic or even get under the brake or accelerator pedal.
A drop trap is a good way to get him. Make sure you have a way to contain him in it for transport or a secure way to get him into a carrier. I find that feeding in a carrier is a good way to make the transition from freedom to being secured inside.
You’re doing a wonderful thing by helping all those kitties. We’re all hoping you get the Tom quickly and without risk of being scratched. Good luck!