To Disguise Traps For Trap-savvy Cats: Paper Sacks Or Cardboard Box

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got this tip on Facebook, which I think is a good idea to try with trap savvy cats:

Prince Edward County Pet Food Bank
11 april kl. 20:42 ·

Trapper tip! If you seem to be having trouble trapping a cat that won’t go near a trap, try disguising it by placing it in a paper sack or even inside a cardboard box. Cats love boxes and paper sacks. It works!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an interesting idea--thanks so much for sharing! I thought I'd seen/read/tried every option re:trap-savvy cats---but this is a new one for me! And it makes sense re:cat behavior). Only thing I wonder - if it's a windy day, would the bag rattle & scare them? Wonder if it helps if the trap fits basically perfectly into the bag (so I'd think you'd have to cut bags down &/or piece a few bags together & tape them together/etc.)?

I hope someone tries this soon & posts how successful it is!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also helps to lay a small hand towel on the bottom of the trap and place dirt, leaves and twigs on it so it feels natural when the cat walks on it.

I would think that a trap savvy cat would still avoid a trap even if it's in a bag, but I'm curious if anyone has had success with the bag method?