I Love My Cat, But I Miss My Personal Space

Tsnap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so I've had my rescue cat Lucy for about 4 years now. She's great - really sweet and loving.

BUT, I'm slowly starting to feel smothered and annoyed. She's literally always there, almost always wants to sit on my lap, often wants some kind of attention, follows me around, etc.

It was cute at first, but now I just feel like I never get to be alone. She's an indoor/outdoor, so the only break I get is when she's outside for a few hours.

Has anyone else struggled with this? I want to try and figure out a solution where I can get more work done and have my space back without going crazy.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your insight

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

What a darling, loving cat!
Try interactive, self-entertaining toys, and also try playing with her to the point that she gets a little worn out. She's a bit bored and you're the way she has to ease that :)

https://thecatsite.com/threads/cat-toy-failures.416394 - something here might end up working for her

and also;
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

20 Best Interactive Cat Toys: The Ultimate List (2018) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Cat Enclosures

Building A Cat Enclosure

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Funny... the opposite happens with my cat. He's an orange tabby and he keeps his distance and is very selective about when and where he interacts with me. We should trade cats. I want more affection and you want less.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Rocket is the exact same. I swear that she hears me sit down and comes running for my lap (if she is inside at the time). Eating dinner can be challenging when she is near because she spends half the meal reaching up and pawing at me. Heaven forbid I don't go to bed on time because she sits between me and whatever I am watching or reading until I go to bed. There are definitely those moments when I want to scrape off the velcro kitty for a little space (especially when it is hot and I don't really want a living heater on my lap).

But the little contented sighs out of her when she shifts in her sleep, the excited look on her face as she runs towards me, and knowing that there is someone who loves me unconditionally makes it worth it. When I really need some space I tend to just close the door on the room I am in and deal with the pitiful looks when I reopen. On the rare occasions I can't shut the door I firmly remove her several times until she gets the hint. Luckily for me at least, Rocket was feral and absolutely hates being picked up. So physically picking her up usually gives me a little bit of annoyed kitty ignoring me for daring to pick her up.