I have no choice. Is locking new kitten in the bathroom cruel?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, an enzyme cat urine remover works much better. i really think she doesn't like the litter. You might have to just get a clumping clay litter and see how that goes. There is always a reason a cat refuses the box, and litter is the top one. The only reason clumping clays are 'bad' is that if a very young kitten ate some, like they often do, it can harden in their stomachs and hurt them. Silver is old enough not to do that. Remember too, kittens can't hold their urine/poop for very long so if a litter box is not readily available they will go on the floor. Keeping her in that small room would help train her to go in the box. She may be too excited when she gets to leave that small room that she forgets where her box is.
I used the non clumping clay litter when Lelia was a younger kitten partly for that reason. I think I switched to clumping around the time she was one, maybe a couple months before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She may be too excited when she gets to leave that small room that she forgets where her box is.
This might be the reason. When she's ready to get out, i will try putting the litterbox somewhere else (probably have to be in my room, then slowly move from there) to see if she will use it.

I will hold out shopping for litters because they all come in a big bags. I wish there are trial version like just half a liter hahaha. But my take is she does use the pellet litters when she's in the bathroom, so it could be that she can't find it or too excited to go outside.

Anyway on the brighter news, silver's appetite has been improving very much. Like last week she barely ate, now she jumps everytime she saw me bringing her plate in and chomp down on food quickly. I haven't measured her yet, but by touching i think she's a little bit thicker too. It used to be directly bones under her skin, now soft fatty layers seems to have built up.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she was an outdoor cat she is used to using sand or dirt for her litter box. I would start with that and if she uses it then slowly begin adding in a fine grain litter, something soft like swheat .

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use floor soap, then some alcohol. No i didnt scoop her up because i am afraid i will startle her and associate the box with being forced into it. I just scoop the poop with old papers then throw one bit into the litter box, after that i let her roam a bit then put her back in the bathroom and we played a bit then have dinner.
I don't think she will associate being put in the box with a bad thing. She will associate it with where she needs to go. You do it with puppies too. See them going potty inside, you scoop them up and quickly take them outside. Then praise the heck out of them when they finish up outside.

Boone and Gracie got the hang of the box by the end of Day 1 but I did grab one of them mid-potty and stick them in the box. He/She only stayed for a few seconds but literally after that, no more accidents on the floor. The other must have seen where to go potty and followed suit. If Rivel and Silver were getting along, she would learn from Rivel. Since they aren't, she will have to learn from you.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she will associate being put in the box with a bad thing. She will associate it with where she needs to go. You do it with puppies too. See them going potty inside, you scoop them up and quickly take them outside. Then praise the heck out of them when they finish up outside.

Boone and Gracie got the hang of the box by the end of Day 1 but I did grab one of them mid-potty and stick them in the box. He/She only stayed for a few seconds but literally after that, no more accidents on the floor. The other must have seen where to go potty and followed suit. If Rivel and Silver were getting along, she would learn from Rivel. Since they aren't, she will have to learn from you.
Well so far in the bathroom she always poop in the box. Sometimes she pees on the floot in opposite end, sometimes she pees in the box. I don't know why, but i will figure it out later. At the very least she uses the floor instead of bed or sofa outside, so i will figure the solution once i let her out.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so today i decided to move on and start to visually re-introducing rivel and silver. I borrowed a chicken fence and with some creativity with some plastic board, i created a gate between the living room and the bathroom.

It's ok so far. Rivel is still taking the presence's of new cat worse than silver taking Rivel's.

But considering it's going ok so far. Rivel hiss a lot but silver is just chilling.

Mealtime is still sensitive, because rivel won't eat anywhere near the bathroom and been in somewhat of a tantrum when she hears meows while they were eating. But it is still better than last week and i didn't have to worry about physical contact turning violent.