I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a definite answer that I'm sure about, but IMO could be it's just comfortable; he feels a little stressed and it smells like him and it's in a corner and feels secure; or he's decided to guard it against Finn. I really don't have knowledge, just thoughts.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your words are always soothing, Jcatbird! Thank you. I am so pleased that they were able to de-escalate tonight. Finn joined me up on the bed for story time - when I go check your thread and look at your pics. Charlie is now laying on his back on the floor beside us. Finn did jump down to check him out, and Charlie swatted him a couple times and jumped up. Finn chose to join me again on the bed instead of responding to the swats - that's a success.

Also, I love the way he will tuck his little paw into the crook of my hand any time he can. The pic looks contrived, but this is what he does - he just likes to make contact with my hand with his paw. I love it. :redheartpump:

View attachment 313436
I am tempted, I just don't know if I'll be able to be around it without stepping in. The thought of a full fight terrifies me. All I know is that when I leave them alone all day, they appear to get along better than when I'm home all day. Which tells me that:
1) either they're working it out when I'm not around
2) there's competition over me when I'm around, or
3) my interference makes things worse.

First of all, if you ever learn how to pose a cat, you’re gonna be rich! Sit, stay kitty! :lol: I know the photo was Finn’s idea. He’s so adorable. Do you ever think that they know how to work us? Lol I know mine do. I wuv you Mom! Am I your favorite? Mom, I really NEED some of your chicken. I feel weak from hunger. How about the pic of Banjo? The smell was sooo bad I’m gonna faint! I’ll
Post it here for pearl99 pearl99 Banjo had a cat bum stuck in her face and it isn’t her favorite cat! She made a face, acted ill and immediately laid back as though faint. Like I’m going to fall for that! They may not think just like a human but they certainly understand how to get us to react. Banjo is the top Drama Queen here and she knows how to get a reaction out of me. They all do.
E9832C33-F533-4954-BAB3-CF59C409B0D9.jpeg
4AB2BCC7-6CBC-497E-901D-1A3844608066.jpeg

They survived outside by reading their environment and the creatures around them. They are smart and creative. Lol Muffin once hurt her paw and screamed as though it was broken. Scared me to death. I was so shaken I was ready to make the vet meet me at his office on a weekend. I know she did hurt it but she was also being chased by another cat. She felt she needed my protection and she acted in a way she knew would get me to her side immediately. I held out a nasty pain pill and she voluntarily ate it out of my hand! She acted pitiful until I put her in a comfy room with lots of treats and pampering. Suddenly the paw worked again. They aren’t purposely “playing” us. They are doing what they know will give them the best opportunities in life.

Buffster7 Buffster7 You asked about the 1,2 and 3 above. Probably all three to some extent. Sometimes we do need to intervene. It can be hard to tell. From that video of them in the chair, I would have let it continue further. It’s a wait and see kind of thing. I can’t say it would not have gotten worse but I do think you are going to have to watch and see at some point. Charlie in the litter box? It may be a form of withdrawal. I see kitties do this when they want to stay invisible, They can also do it just because they enjoy playing in the litter. They also do it during urination problems. My guess would be he was dodging Finn. If he is urinating okay then probably just hanging there in the peace. My best suggestion , if they fight over a chair, no favoritism. If you put one down, put both down, settle them both in place or ignore it and let them settle it. I know it’s hard when you have seen fur fly but you’ll never know unless you see it through further. Does any of this help?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have a definite answer that I'm sure about, but IMO could be it's just comfortable; he feels a little stressed and it smells like him and it's in a corner and feels secure; or he's decided to guard it against Finn. I really don't have knowledge, just thoughts.
I bet you are right - guarding against Finn. I had heard he got kicked out of his original home for being a bully and guarding food dishes and litter boxes. :( Poor guy, so conflicted. He wants a friend, but then...the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. :lol:

Jcatbird Jcatbird I had just typed the above when your response posted and gave me pause. Dodging Finn..Hmmmm. Finn has been really pouncy for a couple days. It is SO HARD to understand these two..which one is the instigator, which one is being victimized - things are not always what they seem! And right now as I'm typing this, feeling sorry for Charlie, he comes tearing out of my room with his tail trying to keep up, very obviously trying to engage Finn. So I guess he's not feeling too victimized.

And it's good to know that you would have let them continue on the chair. I need a chaperone. Someone to force me to butt out whenever I intervene! Ahhhhhh thanks for your input, ladies!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
. I wuv you Mom! Am I your favorite? Mom, I really NEED some of your chicken. I feel weak from hunger. How about the pic of Banjo? The smell was sooo bad I’m gonna faint! I’ll
Post it here for pearl99 pearl99 Banjo had a cat bum stuck in her face and it isn’t her favorite cat! She made a face, acted ill and immediately laid back as though faint. Like I’m going to fall for that! They may not think just like a human but they certainly understand how to get us to react.
So you guys, Jcatbird Jcatbird and Buffster7 Buffster7 , here is a picture of Moo after she was falling asleep watching Gracie then went over to the chair. Talk about them knowing how to get us to react, I felt sooo bad. "Mom, don't you love me anymore? Make her go away."

MooMad.jpg

Last edited:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my word, that FACE! :loveeyes::redheartpump: Makes me want to go bury my face in his flank and comfort myself him. Awwww Mooooooo!!
Boy does she remind me of Finn! I still can't get over how benign their interactions are. And here I thought females were supposed to be more territorial than males.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dodging or guarding against is sort of the same. Avoiding him. Lol Neither is really a victim. It’s a combination of play and position. President and Vice President. You can’t vote. :lol: Neutral party.
Oh okay, I thought guarding meant guarding the litterbox from Finn. But you meant guarding himself from Finn. I had recalled that a neighbor told me he got kicked out of his original home for bullying their cats and guarding (blocking) the litter boxes and food dishes. He used to do that to my dog, too - he would stretch across the front of her food and water dishes and prevent her from accessing them. She was terrified of him, so she would go without if I didn't catch it. I assumed he was guarding the litter box, but with the way they had been sparring, he may very well have been hiding out there.

Today he tried to reclaim his chair when it was unoccupied. Finn wasn't having it; he jumped up and chased Charlie right out of it. Charlie is now snoring on my chair next to Finn's chair. I feel bad that Charlie seems to have lost his chair, but glad that he is snoring on my chair. There used to be "Charlie's chair" and "my chair" in the hearth room. Now it's "Finn's Chair" and "Charlie's Chair"...I am SOL, but I'll take the floor gladly if it means peace! And LOL @ President/Vice President with me as neutral party! That made me grin!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my word, that FACE! :loveeyes::redheartpump: Makes me want to go bury my face in his flank and comfort myself him. Awwww Mooooooo!!
Boy does she remind me of Finn! I still can't get over how benign their interactions are. And here I thought females were supposed to be more territorial than males.
I'm glad my girls are not fighting! I've backed off the intro some since Waffles acted much differently after the uplanned meeting. Giving him time to reboot and regain some comfort. Waffs had gotten to putting his paws on the shelf and standing on back legs when Gracie was in the cubby quiet to kind of say hi cautiously, not now! Everybody taking a break.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Today he tried to reclaim his chair when it was unoccupied. Finn wasn't having it; he jumped up and chased Charlie right out of it. Charlie is now snoring on my chair next to Finn's chair. I feel bad that Charlie seems to have lost his chair, but glad that he is snoring on my chair. There used to be "Charlie's chair" and "my chair" in the hearth room. Now it's "Finn's Chair" and "Charlie's Chair"...I am SOL, but I'll take the floor gladly if it means peace! And LOL @ President/Vice President with me as neutral party! That made me grin!
Glad Charlie has a chair. Sometimes they do switch things around when one claims the other's space. Moo has mostly taken Waffles pineapple cave, but Waffles has other options. A change from Waffles claiming almost everything!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie has been known to have short coughing spells; he will usually crouch on the ground and "air honk" if that makes sense. I've kept an eye on it and it's a rare occurrence. Tonight, however, he just had an awful sounding coughing fit. It scared Finn so much he fell off the bed. Have you guys ever seen a cat cough like this? He was just sleeping on the bed and then started coughing. I'm concerned.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will try to send to vet and call the receptionist to ask if he can take a look at the video. This reminds me that I really need to look into pet insurance. Charlie might be too old for pet insurance, but Finn is young enough. Charlie's acting fine now and just ate his dinner. But that can't be normal?

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I will try to send to vet and call the receptionist to ask if he can take a look at the video. This reminds me that I really need to look into pet insurance. Charlie might be too old for pet insurance, but Finn is young enough. Charlie's acting fine now and just ate his dinner. But that can't be normal?
My thought was it could be from a respiratory infection, bronchitis...or it could be nothing but an isolated coughing spell, but I don't know, just would be safe and check with the vet.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My thought was it could be from a respiratory infection, bronchitis...or it could be nothing but an isolated coughing spell, but I don't know, just would be safe and check with the vet.
I sure hope it's nothing but a coughing spell. What can the vet do other than an x-ray I wonder? I don't really want to shell out money for an x-ray if it's just a coughing fit, but also don't want to delay treatment if there's something going on.
The cats have both been scratching around in the litter a LOT. So much so that I've been keeping an eye on the size of the pee balls to make sure one of them isn't getting a UTI. With all that scratching, it has to stir up dust. I use Dr Elsey's which is supposed to be low dust, but I think it still makes a lot of dust. And I moved one of the Feliway diffusers by the litter box - could the fumes from the diffuser and/or litter be irritating to his lungs at all? Hmmm

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t go buying trouble, it comes for free. It can be anything from allergies to hairball to a bug. Just get the video to the vet. An x-ray is possible but I would just guess a round of antibiotics or a wellness check to listen to his chest. They may say to watch it and keep track. Try to notice when it occurs. Was he just in the litter box? He was sitting in there the other day. Have you always used that brand? You can try to listen some yourself to see if you hear wheezing or a rattle. You also just started back using one of the calming products on one of them I think? Maybe stop that? Send the video in regardless of what else you do. It can be something to compare to later even if the vet doesn’t think he needs to come in.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don’t go buying trouble, it comes for free. It can be anything from allergies to hairball to a bug. Just get the video to the vet. An x-ray is possible but I would just guess a round of antibiotics or a wellness check to listen to his chest. They may say to watch it and keep track. Try to notice when it occurs. Was he just in the litter box? He was sitting in there the other day. Have you always used that brand? You can try to listen some yourself to see if you hear wheezing or a rattle. You also just started back using one of the calming products on one of them I think? Maybe stop that? Send the video in regardless of what else you do. It can be something to compare to later even if the vet doesn’t think he needs to come in.
As always, calming words. Thanks, Jcatbird. I have always used that litter. It says low dust, but I know when I had Finn's litter box in the guest bedroom next to an armoire, I couldn't believe how much dust collected on that armoire - easy to see with the dark wood. And when I clean the litter box that's in front of a French door with sunlight shining in, there's always a cloud of dust that arises when I scoop. I have to say that when I used that large Omega covered litterbox, Charlie didn't spend nearly as much time in there; he got in, did his business, and hopped out. Now with this larger, open one, he likes to scratch around and play like it's his sandbox. Still, I prefer the open box due to size and the cats not being in an enclosed box with that dust.

I will keep an eye on him and if it happens again, I will make an appointment. I'll send the video to my vet today as a precaution, but I don't know what a vet can say whenever viewing a video like that other than, "Bring him in if you're concerned." Charlie is playful and is eating, and he and Finn have been chasing each other around the house this morning. I'm feeling much better since I've been watching him act normal all morning. If it happens again, though, I'll be on it like ugly on ape.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I will keep an eye on him and if it happens again, I will make an appointment. I'll send the video to my vet today as a precaution, but I don't know what a vet can say whenever viewing a video like that other than, "Bring him in if you're concerned." Charlie is playful and is eating, and he and Finn have been chasing each other around the house this morning. I'm feeling much better since I've been watching him act normal all morning. If it happens again, though, I'll be on it like ugly on ape.
Sounds good. I just usually say "check with vet" cuz I'd hate to be wrong and have it be something bad. Glad to hear he's acting normal!