I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Charlie! Charlie won't touch chicken. He's turned his nose up at the most premium shredded chicken cat foods and he walked away from shredded chicken that I cooked for him. Can't blame him...I'm not a fan of chicken, either. :p
I haven't tried turkey, though. Now Finn will eat anything that doesn't eat him first. He's still a street cat and all food is a delicacy for him. Hope it stays that way for a while!
Honeybee won't touch cooked meats either. Raw is all she likes...so she gets temptations..we have greenies hairball ones and they help keep the poop moving-the only complaint is the new bags got an ounce smaller but the price didn't go down..we use Temptations in our house..it's what works for our girls-When Bee is sick-that's all she will eat-we tried the freeze dried and they make a mess. I like the temptations because I trained them to take them gently from my fingers without biting me.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Buffster7 Buffster7 , I have a picture and update on the microchip feeder.
Got the plastic back part this morning and put it on. And, Gracie is all acclimated to it, it only took a couple of days (she had no issue whatsoever with the cover opening and closing.)
I put some food in it this morning along with the kibble and showed it to her, she went over, it opened as it should, she ate, walked away as soon as done and the cover closed right away. She came back about a minute later for more food and lingered a little and the cover stayed open till she walked away a little further, so I think it has a range for the microchip, it wasn't as soon as she took her head out from under the arch.
The back cover is very sturdy and secure so I'm glad I didn't try to do something myself even though it was extra $$$.
Gracie eats mostly at night so I'll see more in the morning.
Here's a picture of the feeder with back cover, and Moo came over to check it all out:

MooFeederBack.jpg

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Buffster7 Buffster7 , I have a picture and update on the microchip feeder.
Got the plastic back part this morning and put it on. And, Gracie is all acclimated to it, it only took a couple of days (she had no issue whatsoever with the cover opening and closing.)
I put some food in it this morning along with the kibble and showed it to her, she went over, it opened as it should, she ate, walked away as soon as done and the cover closed right away. She came back about a minute later for more food and lingered a little and the cover stayed open till she walked away a little further, so I think it has a range for the microchip, it wasn't as soon as she took her head out from under the arch.
The back cover is very sturdy and secure so I'm glad I didn't try to do something myself even though it was extra $$$.
Gracie eats mostly at night so I'll see more in the morning.
Here's a picture of the feeder with back cover, and Moo came over to check it all out:
Oooh, thank you for the update! I wondered how long the cover stayed open - I can completely see Finn pushing Charlie out of the way and Charlie allowing it. If I could program the WoPet feeder to operand then teach Charlie how to use the chip feeder, then maybe...hmmmm. When you refill the feeder, how do you get it to open for you - is there a release button that you can push, or do you have to have a spare chip to open? Thanks so much for catching me up on the latest!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to share some positive moments with you guys. Things aren't perfect with the boys, but I do think they're making progress! Finn had one time out this morning, and I really think those time outs help! After he came back out, there was another instance where I saw him catch himself right before he jumped Charlie and think the better of it. So yay for time-outs!

Now on to the good stuff - last night I could see Charlie really wanted to sit in his chair, which Finn has all but taken over. He tried to jump up, but Finn was all teeth and pushed him off. So I scooted Finn over and placed Charlie back in the chair and stroked them both for a while til they settled. They both stayed there!
Whoa.jpg

And THEN today - this was after the tussle and the time-out, I had started working on a project and was engrossed in it and forgot about the cats. When I finally thought about them and realized how quiet it had been for so long, I walked through the house looking for them. This is what I found!
what?!.jpg

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh, thank you for the update! I wondered how long the cover stayed open - I can completely see Finn pushing Charlie out of the way and Charlie allowing it. If I could program the WoPet feeder to operand then teach Charlie how to use the chip feeder, then maybe...hmmmm. When you refill the feeder, how do you get it to open for you - is there a release button that you can push, or do you have to have a spare chip to open? Thanks so much for catching me up on the latest!
There is an open/close button for putting more food in. Gracie has used it 3 times while I've been watching a movie this evening, so far so good. I have it set on the quickest closing time, there are 3 settings- slow, medium, and immediate, I'm on immediate.
Moo has gone to check it out, but she doesn't realize there is food in there. I have 2 ArfPet auto feeders for Moofles (not chip, just timed), and try as she might she can't get into those so I am confident she can't get into the chip feeder while it's closed.

And for you Charlie/Finn update post, how great!! It sounds like things are getting handled, and the boys are learning, and even with tussles and things it's more positive! Yay for all of you.

This evening watching the movie Waffles chose downstairs, so Moo and Gracie were with me and Gracie decided to walk around about 30 minutes ago, once I thought Moo looked a little too crouchy so I did a visual barrier with one of their pads to lay on and she settled, then when Gracie went in to one bedroom I followed Moo and she just looked and walked back- no reactions from Gracie so things are moving along.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
And I forgot to add that Mooshoo is very respectful of Waffles's food bowl, won't go near it till he walks away, so I'm thinking this will work and she won't barge in with Gracie. I've seen Gracie be able to say "stop it" with Moo listening.
Just now, Gracie went to the feeder, stuck her head in, it opened, she moved her head away, it closed, she moved her head back, it opened, she ate 3 bites and walked away and it closed. So it's working so far when she keeps changing her mind! :flail:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This evening watching the movie Waffles chose downstairs, so Moo and Gracie were with me and Gracie decided to walk around about 30 minutes ago, once I thought Moo looked a little too crouchy so I did a visual barrier with one of their pads to lay on and she settled, then when Gracie went in to one bedroom I followed Moo and she just looked and walked back- no reactions from Gracie so things are moving along.
This is GREAT progress!! I love how smoothly things are going for your crew thus far! And I love how sensitive the feeder sounds like it is - she moves her head away and it closes! I really cannot afford to buy one of these right now, but I'm tucking it away for future reference. Who knows what my future schedule will hold. If I end up finding a job with 10-hour shifts, I'm going to have to come up with a solution for when I'm gone. It's a real dilemma. Thank you so much for your updates! Fingers crossed that your integration continues to go this smoothly - loooooove it!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As always, very good advice, Jcatbird! Thank you! I'm eagle-eyeing Charlie constantly now. His weight is still dropping, but I had already cut back his food serving in an effort to drop some weight from his joints. He's also a lot more active now with Finn. I just need to make sure it's not kidney-related. When I smelled that pee yesterday, my radar went up. I'll make notes on the cats for the vet visit tomorrow. If nothing else, it'll be another chance to bond over the trauma of it all. ;)

Good insight on Finn not always feeling safe. He puts on such a cocky front that I do often forget that he likely still feels threatened. I feel bad because he literally spends half his life in that room. I have him in bed every night til 8 due to his incessant crying and agitation that starts up in the evenings. I feed him his last meal, then turn on his music for cats, and he settles down. I wonder if that incessant crying is because he knows he gets one more meal and he wants it NOW, or if it's restlessness from living on the streets and that's when he got active?

I do need to get a cat superhighway made somehow, but man they are SO expensive! I don't allow the cats to jump on my counters or tables, so other than the 2 cat condos/trees I have, there isn't much height or climbing for them to do, and I can only exercise them so much before we all get bored. I do think they need more stimulation, more climbing, more hidey holes. I'll get to it. Thank you thank you for your input, always!
Not sure if you already fixed this- still catching up..

You can use the top of book cases and make your own shelves=just need some screws, a drill and some L shape things that go on the pieces of wood-and then on top of book cases put a cardboard box or cat dog house-check out market place on facebook-always people trying to get rid of pet supplies= or get your friends to help you..only need 3 or 4 little shelves drilled into the wall next to a book case or other tall cabinets=mine like to go on top of kitchen cabinets-but they haven't done it in a long time=we put ratty old towels up there for them to sleep on..

in the master bed-I put a cat tree in front of book case, then dog house ontop of book case sideways=Lilah LOVES it=she always goes up there to take a snooze.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
This is GREAT progress!! I love how smoothly things are going for your crew thus far! And I love how sensitive the feeder sounds like it is - she moves her head away and it closes! I really cannot afford to buy one of these right now, but I'm tucking it away for future reference. Who knows what my future schedule will hold. If I end up finding a job with 10-hour shifts, I'm going to have to come up with a solution for when I'm gone. It's a real dilemma. Thank you so much for your updates! Fingers crossed that your integration continues to go this smoothly - loooooove it!
Thank you! Yeah the main thing with mine is caution, and it's been not bad thankfully. One reason I chose Gracie, she'd been in a colony/pavilion at the shelter so knew she had been with other cats.
This feeder IS pricey. Such a drawback. A shame things so workabe have to cost like this.
Keep us posted on your boys!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, thank you! I'll look up the Dasuquin for sure! That's another reason I really want to get Charlie's weight down - his joints. And he is declawed (not by me) which I hear causes arthritis. I've never heard of it - going to do a search for it now.

I love that cat tree! I have it in my cart and for some reason I just can't pull the trigger. Maybe it feels excessive or like I'm going overboard. But I found a good deal on one and it would be about $80 more than my previous. And that's a LOT more cat tree for $80 difference. I need to either be talked off the ledge or pushed off it, one or the other. :lol:
where did you get that tree? Chewy or ? Love the tree!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha - that's exactly what it feels like! Charlie just jumped into bed. He's kind of giving Finn a stare down. Going to try to turn lights out and see how this goes...I might be back tonight, but I hope not til tomorrow! ;) :redheartpump:
The girls seem to not be as fighty whenever we dim the lights..

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
where did you get that tree? Chewy or ? Love the tree!
I found it on Wayfair, but it's also on Amazon and on Cat Tree King or King Cat Tree's site (can't remember the name of the site at the moment). I opted against it in the end because I didn't see enough "step down" and Charlie is aging and overweight with joints that are sore sometimes. I was torn, but that was the deciding factor for me. It IS a beautiful tree, isn't it?
The girls seem to not be as fighty whenever we dim the lights..
Well now, this is good to know! Finn has been a real pill today, poor guy. We will see what tomorrow holds, but until then, I'm dimming the lights! I never put 2+2 together on that. How is Lilah doing?

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finn was a pill? That innocent little baby? Hard to imagine! ;) Just when you think it’s safe to leave the room!🦈 How did you choose the name Finn?
I must have been in an Irish mood that day, because I was choosing between names like Finnegan and O'Malley!

Now I've gone and really stepped in it. I guess moving a litter box is kind of a big deal? I had all my supplies from my pediatric clinical rotation taking up space in my hearth room. I finally got it boxed up to store and so made a space in the corner for the litter box - it's just on the opposite side of the room, but it's nice and hidden from sight now. Well, last time I walked by, Charlie was laying down in the litter box halfway buried in it and Finn was stalking it. I didn't get evil vibes so I left them. Wonder if this is going to be a problem, though - Finn walked around the house wailing and Charlie apparently felt the need to claim it.

Never mind...they just came to join me on the bed and lay down. I will say that this can of compressed air is my magic weapon. Finn always wants Charlie's corner of the bed and gets really mad when he jumps up and Charlie is already there. I keep the can of compressed air beside me on the bed; all I have to do is lay my hand on it and Finn stops, looks at the can, looks at Charlie, then comes and lays down beside me. I have only had to spray it up in the air one time, the first time I ever brought the can out, back When Finn was climbing in my plate trying to eat my food. He never tried to climb into my plate after that. Now I just keep the can on the bed at night, and when Finn goes to attack Charlie, I just lay my hand on the can and he stops in his tracks and settles right down. :wink:

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
I must have been in an Irish mood that day, because I was choosing between names like Finnegan and O'Malley!

Now I've gone and really stepped in it. I guess moving a litter box is kind of a big deal? I had all my supplies from my pediatric clinical rotation taking up space in my hearth room. I finally got it boxed up to store and so made a space in the corner for the litter box - it's just on the opposite side of the room, but it's nice and hidden from sight now. Well, last time I walked by, Charlie was laying down in the litter box halfway buried in it and Finn was stalking it. I didn't get evil vibes so I left them. Wonder if this is going to be a problem, though - Finn walked around the house wailing and Charlie apparently felt the need to claim it.

Never mind...they just came to join me on the bed and lay down. I will say that this can of compressed air is my magic weapon. Finn always wants Charlie's corner of the bed and gets really mad when he jumps up and Charlie is already there. I keep the can of compressed air beside me on the bed; all I have to do is lay my hand on it and Finn stops, looks at the can, looks at Charlie, then comes and lays down beside me. I have only had to spray it up in the air one time, the first time I ever brought the can out, back When Finn was climbing in my plate trying to eat my food. He never tried to climb into my plate after that. Now I just keep the can on the bed at night, and when Finn goes to attack Charlie, I just lay my hand on the can and he stops in his tracks and settles right down. :wink:
Finn, we got your number!
It's funny- over here there used to be couch wars with Waffles and Moo, Moo wanted Waffles' couch spot on the cushion on my right and Waffles would make her leave. Now she refuses to leave, and Waffles has resigned himself to Moo's previous spot on top of the couch next to my head. Moo has now claimed the spot on the cushion on my right. Silly things!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I got to get some for Lilah-maybe this will be the magic tool to stop her from chasing Bee.

I haven't let them mingle...not for another month. Right now Bee is sleeping on her bed or her cat tree in her room when the baby gates are up-which means she's getting more comfortable.

Lilah slept in her tree for quite some time last night=I am thinking ina few months=they will just stick to their ends of the house. I got to put more air in the bed in Bee's room cause it was kind of soft this morning when I went to lay next to her-I put her special red velvet blanket and my new purple robe on top of the bed and she loves to sleep on them, she's also a biscuit kitty and makes biscuits on any fleece material..the purple is pretty stunning with her on it, makes her orange colors pop out.

I ordered this small 45 inch tree off Wish=it's JUNK. I can't figure out how to return it-that will teach me not to order from other companies=I love that big tree-I have an 8 foot ? high tree I got off craigslist-the guy wanted 125 but let me take it for 100 because I was cuddling his cats and they normally hate strangers but I had them eating out of my hands lol..This tree is 150+ pounds-and not a mailorder type=we have a few small companies who build nice trees in the 80s and 90s but I haven't been able to locate anyone in my area so I usually watch the craigslist posts-the other tree I have is Lilah's it's 7 feet tall and each shelf is a U shape. Evidently this is extremely HARD to find-I drove to Cambridge Mass to pick it up. 125 bucks. Best money ever spent. I don't want to buy any mailorder trees after having these fine quality trees. I suggest checking marketplace on facebook or Craigslist.

Lilah absolutely loves her grey tree-she's always sleeping on one of the shelves-sometimes it's the lower ones, other times up top..she also has a dog house on top of the book case the tree is in front of-sometimes she's in there too..I learned she loves to climb because she was climbing up this huge scratching post and balancing on top of the 6 inch platform-she's 15+ lbs and BIG so then I dragged this grey tree into the bedroom=she IMMEDIATELY climbed the tree and owned it...she wouldn't climb it when it was in the dining room against the wall. The only thing I need is a cement big brick for the base-it kind of rocks when she climbs up the sides=it doesn't fall over=but could see it falling over LOL

Lilah pulled down Bee's apartment earlier this week-my BF sent me this picture the following day=said the dog house fell, landed on one of the platforms-she jumped in-it went crashing to the floor-the opening was against the wall so she couldn't get out...what a NUT. She loves to be in trouble! She's got so much energy at times, then other times sleeps all the time...nutty CAT!
20191214_132031.jpeg

See troublemaker? 🤣🤣🤣

Here's the grey one and her dog house. Cloth dog houses are great for them to use.
There's 3 other smaller cat condos in the bedroom. She crawls inside the one next to the bed..Lilah can squish herself in any small hole! Sorry about the junk next to tree. My skis that she knocked over in the master bathroom.. and some pieces of paneling I've got to reattach to the wall..
20191215_172818.jpg

Last edited:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got to get some for Lilah-maybe this will be the magic tool to stop her from chasing Bee.
It doesn't seem to phase Finn from a distance (the compressed air). I picked it up when they were going at it one day to see if the sound would deter them, and he was so intent on Charlie that I don't think it would have made a difference from across the room. When Finn first started spending time with us, he had NO manners and would literally climb in my dinner plate. I tried everything - saying no sternly, putting him down, and then putting him in his cage til I was done eating. Then I thought of this compressed air that I had in my desk drawer. Sprayed it up in the air when he approached my plate and that "hissing" sound made him run. Ever since then, all I have to do is put my hand on the can and he stops in his tracks. I'm not sure what he would do if I sprayed It while he was chasing Charlie, probably ignore me, and it might scare Charlie. Is the chasing that Lilah does a playful chasing? Or is it chasing with intent to tussle?
I ordered this small 45 inch tree off Wish=it's JUNK. I can't figure out how to return it-that will teach me not to order from other companies=I love that big tree-I have an 8 foot ? high tree I got off craigslist-the guy wanted 125 but let me take it for 100 because I was cuddling his cats and they normally hate strangers but I had them eating out of my hands lol..This tree is 150+ pounds-and not a mailorder type=we have a few small companies who build nice trees in the 80s and 90s but I haven't been able to locate anyone in my area so I usually watch the craigslist posts-the other tree I have is Lilah's it's 7 feet tall and each shelf is a U shape.
Oh my word, I've heard some horror stories about Wish! Some of the items people have received are so awful that it's almost comical. I've seen the pictures! I'm sorry you got duped - hope that you aren't out a lot of money. :(
Here's the site that had the high quality trees. Looks like they've sold out of most of their trees now, though. You can still find them on Amazon: Products
Here's the grey one and her dog house. Cloth dog houses are great for them to use.
Interesting that you say that. My wicker dog crate is still in my bedroom in the corner. It's too pretty to get rid of, even though it's large, and I don't really have a place to store it. The cats have discovered it, and Charlie chose to sleep in it the other night rather than on the bed! Who knew that dog houses and crates could be so enticing for them.

My boys are doing better today. I was gone for most of the day, and they got into a tussle when I got home. I had to just let them go through it. Time-outs DO help when Finn becomes too persistent with pouncing Charlie, but if we get in a routine of me interfering, it never improves the situation. So I watched from a safe distance while they wrestled today. Lo and behold, they finally tired of it and went their separate ways, and there's less of a crackle in the air. It is sure a fine balance between allowing them to work things out, and then finding chunks of fur laying around.