I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About the cat tree, are your boys scratchers? Ruby is, and I have to replace her 2-level cat condo pretty much every year, because she scratches it to smithereens. So that would be my only concern about spending a lot for a cat tree, that you'd have to throw it out if/when it got too ratty looking.

And about Charlie's excess energy in the mornings, has it always been that way? Or just since Finn moved in.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About the cat tree, are your boys scratchers? Ruby is, and I have to replace her 2-level cat condo pretty much every year, because she scratches it to smithereens. So that would be my only concern about spending a lot for a cat tree, that you'd have to throw it out if/when it got too ratty looking.

And about Charlie's excess energy in the mornings, has it always been that way? Or just since Finn moved in.
Finn does scratch, but he has other scratchers, too. I figure I can always re-wrap it with sisal if he tears it up. My living room is what you look on when you walk in the front door, that's why I want something that's not an eyesore. This thing is a monstrosity, but it's also not ugly, and that's where the boys spend most of their day. See, I'm already justifying it, I can tell..

Charlie doesn't have excess energy in the mornings, he's pretty sedate. He just has excess meanness in the mornings when I let Finn out of his room. ;) He's never mean to me, just Finn. But he has been less interactive with me over the last year. He's become happier overall with Finn in the house, I think. Just not in the mornings. :headshake:

I think I'd go for it, but Then I seriously LOVE sales lol!
I knoooow! I LOVE a good deal! Especially on something that will be used daily for years to come. I just need to be sure that this tree won't lend itself to unnecessary jumping from heights that are too high. I don't want to further damage joints, especially with 16+ lbs behind the landing. Or am I over-thinking it..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or am I over-thinking it..
Maybe not, --has your vet seen Charlie regarding the possible arthritis? Maybe have a chat with your vet - this is a valid concern, I think. I've taken to lifting Poppy-cat down from the kitchen counter about half the time (he loves drinking from the filtered kitchen sink faucet), since he's about 14 pounds and not a spring chicken any longer and I was thinking about the stress in his joints when landing on the floor...

It's about three feet down from the counter to the floor for him, and carpeted with a carpet pad underneath, which isn't that much padding, really. Maybe you could sew (or velcro?) extra padding onto those platforms, if when you receive it you don't think there's enough padding.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie doesn't have excess energy in the mornings, he's pretty sedate. He just has excess meanness in the mornings when I let Finn out of his room. ;) He's never mean to me, just Finn. But he has been less interactive with me over the last year. He's become happier overall with Finn in the house, I think. Just not in the mornings.
Charlie's next phase of teaching?- "don't bug me in the morning. I'm not a morning cat."

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finn does scratch, but he has other scratchers, too. I figure I can always re-wrap it with sisal if he tears it up. My living room is what you look on when you walk in the front door, that's why I want something that's not an eyesore. This thing is a monstrosity, but it's also not ugly, and that's where the boys spend most of their day. See, I'm already justifying it, I can tell..
It's really quite nice, and I'm sure the boys would love it. :catlove:

Charlie doesn't have excess energy in the mornings, he's pretty sedate. He just has excess meanness in the mornings when I let Finn out of his room. ;) He's never mean to me, just Finn. But he has been less interactive with me over the last year. He's become happier overall with Finn in the house, I think. Just not in the mornings. :headshake:
Maybe it will get better when he and Finn aren't separated at night, and are instead bonding over their attempts to push mom over to the very edge of the bed. :catman:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I have to agree that Charlie might have morning pain. He obviously knew he was pushing it because he kept looking up at you. It seemed like he wanted Finn to move over. I was wondering if afterwards he took the warmest spot in front of the fire. The warmth might help. This is worth investigating. Perhaps a morning heating pad? He may also just want his morning time with you. Just follow the clues.
My only concern with that awesome cat tree is that right now, one might push the other off and if Charlie does have joint issues it might hurt. Does Charlie normally jump up on stuff? If he is a natural at climbing , I wouldn’t worry. My Smokey has never been a good jumper. The kitchen counter is a stretch for her. Even when she was young she just could not make huge leaps. She’s my short stuff! Lol She a fireball on the floor though! Others here can leap tall buildings in a single bound. :lol: One of my great loves was Uff. Uff stood for Unidentified Flying Feline. So named because as a tiny baby he seemed to have wings. Gauge Charlie and his skills before the purchase. Declawing is debilitating. That may be a large part of his touchiness. The CBD oil may help and the dasuquin mentioned by Furballsmom Furballsmom I totally love that cat tree though. Maybe you could place it next to the lower one you already have to provide other avenues to descend until those two have totally settled. In my house a cat tree that high would mean cats jumping from there onto my head!:flail:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My only concern with that awesome cat tree is that right now, one might push the other off and if Charlie does have joint issues it might hurt. Does Charlie normally jump up on stuff? If he is a natural at climbing , I wouldn’t worry.
Charlie isn't much of a climber, but he does get to the top of the tree that I bought for Finn and has claimed that top perch. It's only about 5" tall, though, if that. And he always jumps down where he has a step-down. However, he's been known to jump down from heights that are too high, before. I keep an ottoman in my room next to my bed because my bed is very very high. He will sometimes choose to forego the ottoman and jump down to the ground, and that's just too high. I can't even get onto my bed without hoisting myself up with my hands and jumping a little. So I'm a bit concerned about him taking a flying leap from that, although he doesn't tend to jump off very high things if he can help it. I'm conflicted on what to do. Such a great tree. I have ordered some of that joint supplement for Charlie - hoping that it will help.

when I got home tonight and let Finn out, Charlie was intent on slipping right past me and immediately entered Finn's room and sprayed his litter box. What IS that? Made me so mad, because he over-shoots the litter box and sprays the wall. I had to stand there and push his butt down until he finished. Why?? Finn could care less - he's off exploring the rest of the house.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where did you find that awesome cat tree? I just love the extra large perch on top as well as the other really wide perch. I have long cats and I know they would love something like this. Can you post a link?
I found it on Wayfair! And I have a Wayfair coupon that I can use. Do you see a place where he could jump down from that second shelf? I don't really see a step-down that protrudes far enough that a cat might use it - my concern is that they would just jump down from there. What do you think?
71" Bolles Cat Tree

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
when I got home tonight and let Finn out, Charlie was intent on slipping right past me and immediately entered Finn's room and sprayed his litter box. What IS that? Made me so mad, because he over-shoots the litter box and sprays the wall. I had to stand there and push his butt down until he finished. Why?? Finn could care less - he's off exploring the rest of the house.
Have you read this TCS article?
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found it on Wayfair! And I have a Wayfair coupon that I can use. Do you see a place where he could jump down from that second shelf? I don't really see a step-down that protrudes far enough that a cat might use it - my concern is that they would just jump down from there. What do you think?
71" Bolles Cat Tree
The only thing I see is that you could could position the top perch so it is facing the next level to make it easier to jump down. It would be nice to see a picture of all of the dimensions especially between perches. Thank you for sharing the link.

As to the spraying... ugh. Charlie is definitely marking his territory. I have a spraying cat too. Yet he only sprays in the litter box. My solution was to switch to all tall rubbermaid litter boxes. I then have puppy pee pads taped to the wall in case he really over shoots. So far that has never happened. When I clean the litter boxes, I do have to clean the spray off the sides each time. It's a really really hard habit to break. I figure my boy will never stop. Yet as long as it's done in the litter box, then I am ok with it.

Here is a picture of my set up. Remember I have 6 cats so I need lots of litter boxes!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too. It seems to be dominance and insecurity that takes effort on my part. I added more boxes and that made a huge difference. I give the sprayer extra attention when he does it. Positive attention. I do tell him no, no when I see it and he seems to understand. He stops. It’s an off and on thing. Mostly it happens if something outside, like the possum, has been around. You might check the outside at the times it seems to happen. Don’t I remember that there was one other cat that showed up at times? He may be spraying outside somewhere.
I am a little worried about your description of Charlie jumping down. You could surround the perimeter of the platforms with little hammocks of fabric so that he has to go down a level to jump.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie isn't much of a climber, but he does get to the top of the tree that I bought for Finn and has claimed that top perch. It's only about 5" tall, though, if that. And he always jumps down where he has a step-down. However, he's been known to jump down from heights that are too high, before. I keep an ottoman in my room next to my bed because my bed is very very high. He will sometimes choose to forego the ottoman and jump down to the ground, and that's just too high. I can't even get onto my bed without hoisting myself up with my hands and jumping a little. So I'm a bit concerned about him taking a flying leap from that, although he doesn't tend to jump off very high things if he can help it. I'm conflicted on what to do. Such a great tree. I have ordered some of that joint supplement for Charlie - hoping that it will help.

You could also buy two shorter cat trees- short enough to not be concerned about Charlie jumping off of height- and place them near each other, so there are lots of perch options. And two different cat trees with different types of platforms, hammock, ect. Horizontal space instead of vertical!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
As to spraying-
Is it posstible to let Charlie in Finn's room more so he feels like he's left his scent there and doesn't need to spray? It doesn't sound like Finn would be afraid of Charlie's scent when Finn is having his alone time there. Put some of Charlie's pee/poop in the litterbox in there so he already has that scent in there?
I don't have experience with this, I'm just thinking :headscratch::think: