Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

I have lost my Simon after 15 years

Discussion in 'Crossing the Bridge' started by stephenq, Feb 12, 2015.

1. stephenq

stephenq Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Jun 19, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    I rarely post about my own cats as I am generally busy trying to help others with theirs but some of you know that my best friend Simon who has struggled with IBD for years, finally developed an IBD related cancer in the past few months, an internal mast cell cancer.

We started a very specific chemo for mast cell cancer as soon as we got a clear diagnosis just over 2 weeks ago, but it wasn't in time and the disease got ahead of him, and on Monday he took a rapid and serious turn.  He was hospitalized briefly on Monday evening in an attempt to stabilize him and buy him a few more days at home, but it was to no avail and Tuesday morning we allowed him to give up his brave fight with the help of one of his many caring vets (we were lucky to have a small army of vets)

Of all my cats, Simon was the gentlest and kindest. He taught me to live in the moment, and how to be brave, kind and loving and I aspire to be more like him.  Below are 2 photos, the second photo is with his step sister Jenny, her paw on his, taken just a week ago.  You can see more photos of him (and her) at jenny's public facebook page, you don't need an account to view it at www.facebook.com/jennytheblindcat

Simon, my Angel

My sweet blind cat Jenny with her paw on Simon a week before his death.

misterwhiskers and feralvr purraised this.

2. kittywhiskers

kittywhiskers TCS Member Super Cat

Apr 23, 2014
    My happy place.
    I'm so very sorry for your loss of Simon.
    The picture of him with Jenny brought a tear to my eye.

RIP sweet boy. :rbheart:

stephenq purraised this.

3. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    Oh Stephen, I'm so sorry! I know that the pain is no less even if we have advanced warning, my heart goes out to you. Sweet Simon is beyond pain now, I hope you take comfort in knowing you did all you could to help that brave little soul. I'm sure he led a happy, fun filled life with you and your other babies, he was secure in the knowledge that he was loved and had your devotion. I know there is nothing I can say to take away the pain of a broken heart, but I want you to know I'll say a special prayer for you and for Simon. I wish him Godspeed in his journey to the Rainbow Bridge, where he will continue to love you and watch over you from afar. Take care and be gentle with yourself, my friend........ RIP sweet Simon, you were greatly loved and will never be forgotten!

pushylady and stephenq purraised this.

4. pushylady

pushylady TCS Member Veteran

Jul 26, 2005
    Canada
    Stephan I'm so sorry to hear Simon lost his battle with cancer. He certainly had a good life with you, and surely knew what it meant to be loved. He sounds like a wonderful soul to have known.
    Rest in Peace sweet Simon. :rbheart:

stephenq purraised this.

5. betsygee

betsygee Don't believe everything you think. Staff Member Moderator

Mar 17, 2013
    Monterey, CA, USA
    I'm so sorry.  He must have been such a special kitty.  My heart goes out to you.

stephenq purraised this.

6. snugglecat

snugglecat TCS Member Super Cat

Jul 31, 2013
    Washington state
    I'm so sorry for your loss of such a sweet handsome boy, my thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.

RIP Simon [​IMG]

stephenq purraised this.

7. jcat

jcat Mo(w)gli's can opener Staff Member Moderator

Feb 13, 2003
    Mo(w)gli Monster's Lair
    My condolences on your loss of Simon, Stephen. He must have been such a precious little soul, so hard to lose. May he rest in peace, and you, your partner and Jenny soon be able to think mainly of all the good times with him. :rbheart:

stephenq purraised this.

8. doenotodo

doenotodo TCS Member Kitten

Jan 14, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    My heart-felt sympathy goes out to you.  I too lost my solid black 15 year old cat, Mama Kitty last April, 2014.  She was so sweet.  I know one day we will be together again.

stephenq purraised this.

9. cat nap

cat nap TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 31, 2014
    Canada
    My condolences, StephenQ, at this difficult time.

Having a cat like Simon, who taught you to 'Live in the Moment, be brave, kind and gentle', is such a good legacy to have.

I know you have to go through all these feelings of grief, right now, so just know my thoughts and prayers, are with you, and that I wish you strength. [​IMG]  

stephenq purraised this.

10. ldg

ldg TCS Member Veteran

Oh I am so sorry to hear Simon lost the battle. :bawling: :heart2: What a brave little soul, and what a dedicated daddy. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

stephenq purraised this.

11. oneandonlytara

oneandonlytara TCS Member Kitten

Feb 7, 2015
    My Simon and I send our deepest condolences.

stephenq purraised this.

12. huntersdad

huntersdad TCS Member Kitten

Jan 29, 2015
    Owego, NY
    Please accept my condolences for your loss.  It is true that as soon as you get a pet you have signed on the dotted line for heartache but no matter how hard it is at the end the good times will be in your memories soon.  I can tell how much you loved each other - RIP Simon~

stephenq purraised this.

13. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I am so sorry that Simon lost the battle.  He was a brave fighter and you were right there helping him.

stephenq purraised this.

14. keyes

keyes TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jan 11, 2013
    So sorry for the loss of your Simon.  They do leave in a hole in your heart when they depart.  You did all that you could for him and at the end you did what was right for him. 

stephenq purraised this.

15. mrsgreenjeens

mrsgreenjeens Every Life Should Have Nine Cats Staff Member Advisor

Aug 13, 2009
    Arizona
    My heart is breaking for you right now [​IMG]    Your only consolation is knowing that now he is free of his pain, but that certainly doesn't make his passing any easier on your heart.  Only time will help ease that pain.

Run free at the bridge, sweet angel, [​IMG]Simon [​IMG].

stephenq purraised this.

16. pinkdagger

pinkdagger TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 24, 2014
    oh Canada~
    Oh no, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] You all put up a tough fight, and you gave each other 15 wonderful years.

stephenq purraised this.

17. cocheezie

cocheezie TCS Member Super Cat

Jan 6, 2014
    Great White North
    My condolences to you and to your cat family. Relationships like yours and Simon's are rare. The two of you were fortunate to have found each other and you both made the most and best of it.

stephenq purraised this.

18. riley1

riley1 TCS Member Super Cat

Jul 11, 2014
    Greendale, Wi
    Oh, Stephen, I am so sorry for your loss!  Having had almost the same situation 24 days ago I really feel for you. It is so hard seeing them  uncomfortable & going down hill.  Still I saw you posting & helping others while this was going on.  Couldn't have done that myself.  You were lucky to have him for 15 years but I know saying goodby is still so heartbreaking.  I am glad you have 15 years of wonderful memories of Simon & your other kitties to help you through this.

RIP Beautiful Spirit Simon

stephenq purraised this.

19. stephenq

stephenq Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Jun 19, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    I am so grateful for your comments.......you have no idea.

20. Loving Mickey

Loving Mickey Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty Top Cat

Jun 13, 2014
    Stephen, I am truly sorry on the loss of your precious Simon. I know the pain you must be feeling over his loss. We all have a special cat in our lives and when they must leave us, the loss can and is devastating. You are always trying to offer others your words of wisdom and help so much. I only wish I had some magic words to help you now. However, I know that those words just don't exist. I am happy that you and Simon had each other for 15 wonderful years though. May those sweet memories remain in your heart always.
    The picture of Simon with Jenny is truly so sweet!
    RIP Sweet Simon!
    I hope you and my Mickey (who passed last July) are happy and playing, together!

stephenq purraised this.