I Got My Feral In The House Today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things are going very slow but progress has been made, actually somebody telling you to spend more time with your cats inspired me, I have been so confused and overwhelmed with my situation, I just grabbed a book went in to be with Walli and discovered she actually likes me being in there. I give her treats while I just read my book and I talk to her, I have been thinking so much about Joey and her, I missed the simplicity of just being with her.

Joey is still very feisty and we are working with him but I think we have awhile to go before socializing the 2 cats, I will focus on Walli, she needs me more, we are able to play and socialize with Joey so he is fine, they get to see each other now but that is all.

I think sitting calmly with cats are key, not when you are rushed but when you just have time to be with them, they will like it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's just something about reading aloud to a cat, especially a feral, that seems to work more often that not. Perhaps it's hearing your voice in a totally non-threatening manner...you aren't even looking directly at them. It's a great tool!

Solcita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad things are still progressing and she is OK with you in the room! I think if you spend more time with her you will stop being an intruder and will become a part of her "home".... Does it make sense?

Our ferals love hanging out with us in the living room whenever we can. That's why we cannot leave the mesh door only as they will be jumping in 3 seconds to come our way. Yesterday was the first time that Kato and Mini1 took a totally relaxed nap in the living room while with us.
If I had space in their room I'd definitely set up my computer there to work most of the time, but as it's a hallway it's not possible.

And I feel your pain about Joey and Walli lack of interaction. It's not the ferals part of the family causing us stress but out own cats refusal to accept them. One will attack them at simple sight (she is like that with ANY animal since very young age). We actually think we should make a room for her and let the ferals free inside the house as Chihiro does tolerate them ... So I wouldn't be surprised if Ponyo moves to the hallways and Kato and kittens become free inside the house... Mmmm thinking it right now lol.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
keep posting it really helps reading about what others are going through. Your thread is the one that got me in her room!
I would like to put something in her room for me, like a tv or my computer, not sure yet. Thanks Solcita!!

Solcita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to put something in her room for me, like a tv or my computer, not sure yet.
You do have a bed... what about sleeping there one night??
I did think of sleeping with the ferals but they are too playful during the nights I bet I wouldn't sleep much!!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have been sitting with Walli almost everyday, She likes treats but is not really a food motivated cat, I'm a little worried about the treats, Greenies hair ball treats, I was wondering if there are some healthy treats out there? She is not a big meat eater otherwise I would just treat her with meats.

She doesn't play (yet) ha ha! so I can't treat her with play, she is really liking me giving her treats so I kind of want to stick with giving her treats.
just something that may be healthier. I really don't know if the greenies are bad but I assume so.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beats me. I know that there are good ones out there. My girl turns her nose up at EVERYTHING but Temptations, so I have to just really restrict her treats...Kitty Crack. It really, really is. But she'll actually sit up and beg for them.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think just use whatever she will eat. You can buy some other varieties and try them on her. My cats like Blue Wilderness treats. I buy them in the large size container from Chewy or Amazon. They also sell them in a soft chew.

Have you ever tried baby food with her? Most cats love it. You could even try to put some on a spoon and have it lick it off. You need to get the Gerber stage 2 chicken or turkey. It's in the small glass jar around $1 per jar. Ingredients are water, turkey/chicken and modified food starch. You can even get an old rod, chopstick or something and duct tape the spoon to it so it's nice and long. Then you can try to get her to lick it off the spoon.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try the the soft chews! Thank you!
I tried putting baby food in her food dish, didn't touch it.
I may try it again tho, maybe I got the wrong one.

I'm not one to worry about what I feed my cats so much, but it's a delicate situation with Walli, she eats mostly dry food, she is starting to eat more canned
but I mostly throw it out!

Just want to be careful with her as Vet appts are for extreme emergencies only!

Thanks!!!!!