I Got My Feral In The House Today!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
you had posted something about moving her food away from the catio so she could feel more at home, can you elaborate on this?
Oh, that part.
"Good progress here as she is waiting for breakfast at the entrance of the catio. Next to do is place the food at the entrance of the catio and everyday, inch her food further and further away from the catio entrance into the house away from the catio.
This will let her know that the house is also her territory and she is free to roam and check out the house and also this will boost her confidence".

Use this slow introduction of territory owning if you want her to move into the house. By doing so, it expands her area and also get use to a newer place bit by bit instead of just being fed at the catio and she'll have less courage of venturing out.

Once she feels comfortable eating away from where she's eating right now, she knows that she owns part of the new space and eventually she'll have no fear moving around.

This was what happened to one of the member whom I asked to him do that was how he got the feral kitty into the house by feeding him nearer and nearer to his door everyday till the feral kitty got use to it and eventually went into the house.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I am definitely NOT trying to bring my ferals in, but Little Bit got brave this afternoon as I was dishing out kibbles, and actually walked into the dining room (the back door is through the dining room). Hekitty quickly advised her that she is allowed at the threshold and no further!

Joey is JUST STUNNING!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! Joey does not act like he looks!
He is a big energy ball!
Thanks Tabbytom! I'm glad I reread the the thread, I am putting in her cat tree today and I'm going to put in an additional piece of furniture so I can change her feeding spot, makes sense actually! Won't do that today, one thing at a time for Walli. baby gates next week, altho I might put the new feeding thing in before baby gates.
I was able to make a makeshift cat door to keep the cold out yesterday!
It should be a little warmer, till I can get a real cat door up. It's just plastic with weights on the bottom, but I'm putting it on both sides so should work some, At least it won't be a big gaping hole.
Sounds simple but it took me half the day!

Mamanyt very wise knowing when not to bring in a Feral!
the Feral Cat lady in my neighborhood has Ferals in her yard and a cat fence so they are protected, she says she will not bring in a Feral that does not love her, they go back outside, very wise!
They are very well taken care of.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks Tabbytom! I'm glad I reread the the thread, I am putting in her cat tree today and I'm going to put in an additional piece of furniture so I can change her feeding spot, makes sense actually!
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Yes, please don't rush things. Do it gradually as many thing are coming her way like cat tree and baby gate and so on. Remember, it's always one step forward and two steps back.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that! I do need to slow it down.
I put the cat tree in her room, just me moving around in her room is enough
thanks for the confirmation to slow down.
I don't think she has gotten on the cat tree yet.
I did get to sit with her a couple times this weekend.
She is warming up to me slightly, so this may be what I need to do for awhile.
all the commotion does have her on edge a little tho.
Oh Walli! if you only new what pets and scritches felt like!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't think she has gotten on the cat tree yet.
I did get to sit with her a couple times this weekend.
You can try enticing her with a feather wand and let her play catch up the cat tree or with treats.

It’s a good sign that you are able to sit with her guess she’s getting use to you.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
putting camera in today, going to close her in tonite and open the door to expose the baby gate after she eats dinner.
I will open her window so she can go outside in the morning.

:lol: tabbytom tabbytom ! mistakes will be made!
looking like that's how I roll!

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does the cat wants to be inside? I would just release her back outside after she’s fixed. Unless if she prefers to be an indoor kitty. But I know a lot of cats that just prefer being outside.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going back outside is not an option, She has been in the house for a year now, some things happened that set us back so we are trying the best we can, I do think of that sometimes tho, but it's not an option now. She is a 5-7 year old Feral, She prolly has lived enough outside.
I do understand your point tho!

Last night went pretty good, I only heard 2 mreowrs
Mistake #1 already happened, I didn't follow my plan to shut the door to the baby gate this morning when I opened her window, I left it open a crack. I was outside with her and she went to go inside to eat breakfast but came right back out and mreowred, never heard he do that outside.
so I went and closed the door and made her go inside.
I'm a dummy she was going to go in and eat on her own after
the big change-sheesh!
She seems to be more forgiving of my mistakes lately tho
She will prolly hang out in her catio today, we are expected to get rain tho in which case I may make her go in.
just a little noise near the catio can get her in!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't!
She came back in the house on her own, and is now sleeping in her warm room! She must not have been too traumatized I kind of expected her to stay out all day!

She's prolly pretty tired, prolly been up all night!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still doing ok, This is going to take some time.
My back yard isn't much to look at and was wondering if putting a bird feeder out there for when she is in her Catio is a good idea, or would it frustrate her.

Wondering what putting a bird feeder in the yard is going to do, will I get the crows? will I get too many birds? Going to think before acting this time!!!