I Got My Feral In The House Today!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it okay to get wood wet though? I'm so terrible at cleaning, I never know what products to use. I usually just end up vacuuming, but I probably should use something that cleans better.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 3 feral boys that I recently brought inside, need their room cleaned every 2-3 weeks. The amount of litter that is tracked drives me crazy. Of course this means bringing in the vacuum. I have a small one that is more quiet than most. I have lots of tracking mats so I first take all of them outside to shake. I then vacuum all of the carpet space. The cats don't like it and hide behind the love seat. Now they are getting used to it. I have been doing it every 2-3 weeks for 5 months. They hide, but some back out for meals. If you do it consistently she will get used to it. She may never ever like it, but she will learn that the noise goes away. It's all part of the routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sick of the litter everywhere too!
I just recently found a litter called Slide and it says it's 100% dust free
It is larger granules, It has cut down on the dust and the tracking too.

I saw a cat in my front yard today, I was in my car, I had to drive away.
I can't take on anymore, I feel bad tho. sheesh.

@ maggiedemi Is it really nice wood?

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that Slide litter too, but I can't afford it. I get big 40 pound boxes of store brand for $10. I might be imagining this, but when I added baking soda to the litter, it seemed to be less dusty...Jeez, your yard is like feral kitty central! Since I took in my two from the woods, I haven't seen anymore. Probably because they quit shooting the coydogs and coyotes. They used to hire people to go in and thin out the population.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really can't afford it either, but I'm overwhelmed by the dust.
I have a piano in wallis' room I need to get rid of. There was a huge layer of dust on it, it has slowed down now. Hopefully they will come out with more of the 100% dust free litter.

I went home at lunch to see if the kitty was still there, no go.
I got issues!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of getting this litterbox to contain the dust. But it's awfully expensive if they don't like it:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they ever used a covered one?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet. But I figured it might be okay because the cover is see-through.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walli seems to be warming slightly, she came into her room during the day.
It was very loud outside from the airshow and she sought refuge inside.

She played once in front of me while I was outside, I fed her in the room yesterday while she was in there (hiding)

Joey is mellowing a bit, I will attempt socializing in December/January
Joey isn't biting me as much, he really wants to see Walli.
I wan't to put up another catio for Joey, so they can socialize outside.

Walli is completely healed from her urinary episode!!!
this makes me so happy, I was very stressed about it.
I found a dry food believe it or not that got her through it.
It's a prescription food that prevents crystals from forming, that and putting a quiet moments cat treat in her canned food every night.
Big Pee balls! yay!

I need to get the TNR neighbor cat thing behind me, it is taking too much of my focus, I need to focus on the things I'm already dealing with better.
I have 2 weeks to go till that is over, trapping is on the 14th and the women are suppose to take over the feeding also, either way I will not be feeding the neighborhood cats anymore, I don't have the personality for it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad Walli is healed, and peeing large clumps again. :thumbsup: And that Joey is starting to mellow. Hopefully when Dec/Jan comes around they'll both be ready to "re-meet and greet". :catrub: And eventually become best buds. :catlove:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad things are going better for you, you seemed really stressed for a while there. Yeah, two cats is plenty to worry about. I hope Joey & Walli can become friends soon, it will be great for them to have a buddy.

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats absolutely are not fond of change. Yours have gone through a big one. It has only been two weeks since they were brought in, and that is not a long time in a cat's world. I think it is great you are getting them another condo, that will provide a welcome distraction. I can feel your love and concern, just keep thinking it is for THEIR safety and comfort you are doing this.
All cats look out the window and yearn to be out there, it is full of adventure and lots of interesting things to look at. Even cats that have NEVER been out want to be. Looking out the window gives them something to do to keep from being bored. So try to look at it as giving them entertainment instead of being kept from enjoying the outdoors. But it is also full of vicious dogs, mean tom cats, cars and cat hating people. Children want what is dangerous too, but it is up to us to keep them safe and to teach them what is expected.
I don't know where you live, but is it possible to build them an outdoor enclosure to give them some time outside? Or even one of those fancy chicken coops they have now, I often look at them as cat enclosures!
I know how you feel, you want them to be happy. But they can learn to be happy indoors too, all they really need is your love! It just takes lots of time for a cat to adjust, in your case up to a year.

Walli, thank you so much for loving that little one. It is going to be quite the experience to get your little one to adjust, it just takes lots of time and patience. Don't expect great things to happen right away. Your little one will most likely hide for a couple of weeks, but eventually will adjust. I have had them hide for over a month, just coming out at night to eat and use the litter box. Talk quietly to yours and leave yummy treats, they can't resist!

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Giving cats some outdoor time..but keeping them safe..

I spoke to a young mother with her children at the petstore this week and
she had no idea that cats like to look outside if they are an inside cat.
She was adopting a kitten..so I mentioned kindly a few suggestions
which she did not like..so I felt sorry for this kitten going home with them
I did mention that I just had from trying found out how to make an indoor kitten or cat happier..and was sharing it with she and her children.

I just want to mention a large soft chair by a large window where any cat can sleep and look outside by the window is wonderful...

I also like the idea of the chicken coop so a cat or cats can smell the fresh air, feel the wind on their faces
and enjoy looking at the trees and squirrels etc...is important..

A fenced structure in top, bottom and sides with a couple of places to sit up high inside it...to look out..

would be great in the shady part of the yard..for a few hours a day weather permitting...

I had to bring 2 cats inside that were outdoor cats due to domestic dogs...of neighbors..my cats miss the outside air and watching the birds and it has been 3 years...they never adjust totally so I decided to do what I can to make them happy and to still enjoy fresh air and nature a few hours each week..

I suggest ..
even if it has to be in a 42 inch wire cage....from the pet store
where you can have a divider between the cats....some cages come with that...

place a water bowl and put two cats
in side..

on a shady porch with fleece blankets on cool days or
a bedsheet on summer days...letting them get out in the locked cage
for a hour a day...or a weekend day for 2 hours...or 3 hours..

in a cage or fenced in structure out doors at times...
Here are mine today on a 63 degree morning ..shade with blankets
hotter days they get a bedsheet for each side of the cage..

I never let the sun reach their cage...I keep checking on them so they never
get over heated...the sun can be on them within 20 minutes of the last time I looked at them on the porch so I set a timer to go back to see if they are okay
and not too hot..I also turn a fan on if it is warm months where it is blowing on the cage...

Attachments

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Walli has a catio she can get to from her room, we moved her to this room after the fumigation.
I am going to work on another catio for Joey so they can socialize outside, they are still separated, I've been very preoccupied with the Ferals on my street, I can now focus more on my cats.
Joey is a bit aggressive (playfully) but it started a fight between the 2 when he first came to us.
So I need to take it slow for this to work, I can't risk failure at this point otherwise I would have to rehome Joey for Wallis sake, she can't stay in her part of the house forever. I do have a large crate, I might be able to put Joey in that to socialize them until I can get another Catio built.
thanks for the inspiration!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little funny about Walli, I put toys in her room and she takes every one of them into the catio in a corner, so weird, I go into the catio every couple months to clean it out, I will move her toys back in her room I guess.
So weird I wonder if she is communicating in some way.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Walli play with the toys or just stack them in the corner?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I had the camera in the room I saw her playing with them
I don't have the camera up, thinking about putting it back up.
I had put it up to watch her litter habits during the urinary problem.
Do you know what it means for her to put all her toys in 1 place?
I think she does play with them in the catio.
a little night surveillance might be in order!