I Got My Feral In The House Today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Things are still pretty much the same, Joey is addicted to playing still.
Walli still hiding from me, occasionally she lingers in her room before dashing to the catio when I feed her, I am considering keeping her in her room during the winter so I can socialize her to me.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I want her to run around the house!!!!
Jump on the counters, chase Joey, steal his toys etc..:lol:

Solcita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
W walli
I am so so glad I found your thread.

I have been feeling like a rescuer failure because our ferals are not "socializing" with us as fast as everybody else's or how "socializing your feral cat manual" was not working for me... kept thinking of how I was waisting their time, how I should look for a foster to socialize them and giving them a chance, or even releasing them even when two are kittens, feeling guilty for "caging" them, etc... and now I see we are not alone! I read the entire thread in a go!! I feel I already know you, Walli and Joey! (I hope your mom is doing better btw)

I totally understand the issues with homing both cats at the same time and the added stress.
We trapped a young mom and her two 8-weeks female kittens, while also having two resident cats (one deaf) indoors.
Our house is not big but we did our best to separate two areas for them. Of course, no matter how much space you give the ferals, it's still tiny comparing with the outside.

One of the experienced rescuers I spoke with here in Japan, kept one of her feral mamas after rehoming the kittens. She was an adult cat, and now is totally indoor, who has a good relationship with the rest of her cats, but not with her. She says the cat lives happily under her bed most of the time (so she doesn't see her very often) but she knows she interacts a lot with the other cats.
As you know, not all cats are meant to be lap cats... so maybe Walli is like that and she will never be the cuddle type considering the 5 years of feral life. But she can get used and comfortable living (safely) indoors, specially now that she has the catio and can freely come and go.

It's amazing how you have two opposite cats, a very shy Feral one, and a very friendly one... Comparing your situation to ours, as we cannot separate all 3 cats (we tried releasing mom after neutering her and it was a disaster, we also let her go outside as she longs but it was also super bad...), we have to have them all together.
After seeing mom is still young and so sweet, we thought that we could give the kittens for socialization (didn't find a foster though) and try to socialize the mom, but she doesn't want to be apart from her kitties and her yelling and crying is disrupting our neighborhood, so we let them be together hoping she gets ready to be separated from them.
Most of our stress comes from socializing the kitties for adoption (going very slow because of our cautioness towards mom), also maybe hopefully socializing mom knowing the kittens presence is also a dangerous factor (will she attack if she thinks we are harming the babies?) and at the same, keep our own cats as comfortable as possible (they are stressed as well and fighting each other). So we are battling many different fronts at the same time in a 50sqm house, which makes it incredible stressful for us.

In your case, there's no actual need to keep both cats... what about rehoming Joey as he is so friendly and young (and bet doable), and focusing your efforts and finances towards Walli? Wouldn't that make it all less stressful for you and Walli?
In an ideal world, I would not hesitate to keep all 3 cats, they are ADORABLE. And I'm already thinking the logistics of moving more to the suburbs to make it affordable to expand the living space... But I think giving them up for adoption whenever they are ready is the most logical thing to do, not only for them (as they could get a lot more attention and space than here), but also for our cats.

Hope everything is going smooth there!! Hang in there and do not give up!!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Solicita! Cats are not always easy going they can cause us people who care
lots of stress, I agree with you rehoming as many as you can is best.
I don't know much about kittens but I think after awhile the Mom won't be so attached?
I do think about Rehoming Joey if it doesn't work out, I want to give Walli a chance to have a friend because I don't think she will ever be a lap kitty as you say.
I have learned through all this every situation is different and you need to stand up for your situation and make your decisions and don't apologize, I am a type of person to beat myself up for doing things wrong, but I am becoming a stronger person through all this, there is no manual we take it one step at a time.

I have met some ladies in my neighborhood that are crazy cat ladies :lol:,
the support alone is priceless.
If you ever just need to talk don't hesitate, it helps - No judging!
just fyi, I'm half Japanese what part of Japan are you in?
My Mom is from Fukushima

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is building an outdoor shelter an option for the Feral?
I know it gets cold there but if your able to build a winter shelter
and have a covered area it would work.
Keep me posted I can try and help brainstorm at the least!

Solcita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a small world!
I have been living in Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture since April 2013.
I am Nikkei (Japanese descendant from both sides), but I was born and raised in Argentina, so I'm totally foreigner, but I don't look like one.

I still have mixed feelings about the next steps with Kato mostly. I firmly believe the kittens will end up being socialized enough to be given up in adoption.
Kato on the other hand, I'm not so sure, but not because of her but because of our limitations with our own cats who are not very welcoming, even when they were totally OK with her outside in the backyard.

Norachan suggested having a catio outside so she can be indoor/outdoor but in a controlled environment. Our neigborhood is not dangerous, we live in a rather quiet area, BUT sometimes cars and motorcycles do go speeding a little bit even when our strees are super thin... also we have a lot of wild life here, but they are not supposed to be a threat for the feral adult cats.
The neighbors do like cats, our cats are actually the reason people liked us at first, when they saw how we treat our cats (like our own children), they started approaching us.

We used to live on a second floor before when we moved our cats from Argentina (they were 100% indoor, living in an apartment without a balcony), so we built them a catio in the balcony and they LOVED it. Our oldest would spend hours outside.
catio.jpg

Then we moved downstairs, and they LOVE going out to the backyard, but never built the catio because we would put them a long rope in their collars and they would behave, and they were never outside unattended. But we stopped letting them out when Kato started coming over like 3 months ago, as we were afraid she would bump into them and fight each other.

Currently we used the materials from the old catio to make Kato and her kittens a big cage, but they currently have it open 24/7 so they come and go as they pleased. The litter box is now enclosed and it's outside the cage. The kittens mostly sleep in there, but Kato likes to sleep in different places. They still don't have a free pass of the house because of our cats and because Kato tries to go out in the backyard to escape, which I wouldn't mind... but then she starts crying and yelling calling her kittens to come out (but they don't have interest in going out) and making hubby stressed thinking how our landlord will kick us out if a neighbor complaints.
44603371_302653647131636_1223368073591914496_n.jpg

What I love is that now that she is indoors, Kato can sleep and relax... while sleeping outside with her kittens she was always on high alert, I could see that she never really slept at all and any small sound would make her jump... while now I could be playing with the kittens and she doesn't even open an eye...

I understand your decision towards your cats... I hope they do become friends with each other... As Joey gets older and more passive, he might be a good companion to Walli :)
Ganbare!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey that's a pretty nice area for Kato and her kittens, you could actually use that to your advantage to socialize your cats to Kato if. you re home your kittens, how old are the kittens? Are you able to touch Kato?

I use to live in Yokohama on the Navy Base when I was a lot younger
I went to Elementary in Nigishi and then Middle School in Yokohama
Lived in Japan one othe time when I was little in Atsugi and Tsuruma

Gambare to you too Solcita!!
I don't know if you can get it there but you can order it
it's called Quiet Moments Cat Treats and it helps cats calm down
it breaks up pretty easy, I sprinkled it in Wallis food when she was stressed out and it helped she wouldn't eat the treats by itself tho.
It's safe enough to give every day too if needed.
check it out online if you can, let me know if you can't find it!
My Obachan use to call me Toreshi! (Tracy)

Solcita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanx! The kittens I think are around 10 weeks old by now... And no, we canno touch Kato... I don't even try though, I'm hoping for HER to come to me.

WOW! We were neighbors! I have been living in the same neighborhood since I arrived, in Minami-ku (around blue line subway) and we are already deciding to move next year closer to Kamakura and the beach... where we can get a bigger place, even when the commute to Tokyo would take longer. As long as we live close to a JR station I don't mind... I mostly work from home anyway, so I don't mind a long commute as I normally go only once or twice a week. This week we are working out every single day, but that's pretty unusual.

Regarding Quiet Moments, I haven't heard of it... and I don't see it in Japan...
What we did purchased was felliway, and it's not doing much... so I don't think we will buy the refill, as it's not helping our own cats...
But what I do use with Kato (and she and the kittens really love) is Silverine powder... Kato totally relaxes with it and the kittens go mental...
I am using it now with one towel glove I'm trying for them to like, as I hope to be able to grab them with it someday...

How is everything going there? Is Walli showing her face more often?
What about Joey? Is he getting more relaxed?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link for the treats
  1. NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Plus Melatonin Cat Soft Chews, 60 count
Things are the same, I am going to try and keep Walli inside so we can socialize
still in the works, I am considering a cat behaviorist for Joey, got someone coming in a couple weeks, just a friend that's good with cats.
I hope some day to visit Japan again, my sister is going next year.

fyi Feliway didn't work for us either, guess it works for some tho

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well something is going on with Walli!
she stayed in the room last night and I got to sit with her.
small step but I think were back to being on our way like we were before the fumigation. bad thing is I'm away for the weekend and have a pet sitter coming in hope she doesn't go backwards steps when I get back.
I really need to focus on her and make her a priority in the busyness of my life right now

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
update on Walli & Joey
I was able to play with Walli for a couple minutes! she got scared and ran to her catio, but she is being braver about coming inside.

Joey is so cute, he lays down in front of her door a lot! it's so cute.
I dont trust him yet tho, I crack open Wallis door now at evening.
(It's a sliding glass door with a pet screen, also has a curtain)
so she can hear and see him, I close it during the day in case he is being a spaz while we are not home. Going to put the camera back up.

My goal is to get that curtain opened up and have the sliding glass door opened
and just have the pet screen between them, I know it sounds super cautious but this is how fearful Walli is, I will not have another fight/failure. Slow is the only thing that is going to work. I feel guilty bringing Walli in when she wasn't ready
but I can't let her go.

Does anyone know if walli being in the bedroom and catio only could make her
frustrated? she has been in her bedroom and catio since May.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone know if walli being in the bedroom and catio only could make her
frustrated? she has been in her bedroom and catio since May.
Honestly, I don't know. But I'm going to tag Jcatbird Jcatbird who has several former ferals living in her home, so she should know all about keeping cats in small areas of their own, and how they react when given more space. And meeting rambunctious kittens. ;)

Here's her wonderful thread, if you want to check it out. It's super long, so maybe start at the last page, and work your way backwards, as you have time.
My Feral And Rescued Cats

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Thanks for the referral here.
Hi! Wow! You have certainly come a long way! Awesome! You are getting support from others and now helping others. I am so pleased to see how far things have come. I hope all is well with you and your Mom.
As for Walli, Does she act frustrated? Is she pulling at the door or trying to run out? If not then she is probably fine being in the bedroom and catio. I have had some that prefer smaller spaces and feel more secure that way. I had to encourage them to expand their horizons. Moving slowly with them is usually a very good thing. When my kitties have desired doing more then they make it very clear by banging doors, meowing, tearing stuff up or just running around or out of the room at the first opportunity. Feliway does not work for all cats. I have read of using floral drops and other things to calm. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Can suggest something here and so can Furballsmom Furballsmom I think you are doing extremely well with them. Just take it slow and calmly. Baby/ kitten steps! Great job already! Yay! :hyper::rock: