I Got My Feral In The House Today!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually add a teaspoon or so of water to Ruby's canned food. Sometimes I mix it in. Sometimes I just pour it in the dish so it is around the food. Unless it evaporates, Ruby drinks it when she eats the food.

Does Walli know her name? Does she respond at all when you talk to her? I feel so bad for her, and you, that she's still refusing to live the life of a pampered, indoor cat. :catlove:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that the canned food is working. It usually works for me too, for their pee problems. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey MaggieDemi, Did Demi prefer the pill mixed in the food or the liquid?
also is there a particular food that works better at hiding the med?
Just want to be prepared, I got the UR Fine today I put it into her water
and I will put some drops in her food, doesn't seem to be a strong smell.
we'll see.

Rubysmama Good Idea to add water to her food, She knows her name, she likes me to talk to her, She is just not trusting us right now after the Vet/Crate for 3 days for the fumigation. I think she will come around, I think Joey will help her someday, He is calming down a bit too.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. There was no difference. I added a Tablespoon of tuna juice to their wet food with the antibiotic and they were okay with the taste. The liquid one I got at the vet. The capsule powder one I would have to tell you by PM where I got it. :D

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok let me know when you get a chance, never got a PM before but I will figure it out!
Thanks Pal!;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rubysmama Good Idea to add water to her food, She knows her name, she likes me to talk to her, She is just not trusting us right now after the Vet/Crate for 3 days for the fumigation. I think she will come around, I think Joey will help her someday, He is calming down a bit too.
I think you're right, once Joey gets to be a "grownup" cat and not a "kid", he and Walli will likely become besties. :catlove:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait! I tell Walli all the time how much fun she is going to have someday.
I long for the day I can post a pic of the 2 of them together.

Good news, Walli was on the bottom section of the catio in full view this morning and she wasn't just sitting there, I think she caught a bug and ate it!! hee hee and then she went into the house while I was sitting there, she has never moved while I was out there. This is how Walli rolls, veeeerrryyy slooooow.
So I put the UR Fine in her Water Bowl last night and I sprayed her bed with the Scaredy Cat, said prayers and Hope all is going to be alright.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small update on Walli, Her Urinary problem seems to be getting better
I have been giving her antibiotics in her food, thankfully she has been eating all her dinner that has the antibiotic in it. She has been in the bottom portion in the catio around 5:00pm lately and I can sit with her. This morning she moved all around the catio while I was out there, she even went into the house to eat breakfast while I was out there, very rare for her to move around while I'm there.
So it's been 2 months since the Fumigation/Crate Debacle and she is just now starting to move around more, this is Walli-Very Feral. I think about releasing her all the time, but I will not, she is 5-6 years old. I think this is old for a Feral plus we found out she has FIV and I don't think releasing her is a good idea.
I hope to someday extend her catio, and am hoping by winter she will be even more comfortable with us. The cost has been pretty high for all we have been doing other wise I would extend that catio now. Joey seems to be calming down but I don't think he is ready to interact with Walli, Joey is the problem not Walli (for the socializing). He is just so feisty!
Patience is key, when I'm not patient I am stressed!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear Walli starting to spend more time getting a bit closer to you. Yes, hopefully by winter time she'll be more than thrilled to be inside. And by then Joey will be several months older, and maybe just a tad less hyper. I do hold hope that someday you'll post a picture of Walli and Joey napping together. :catlove:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi pal. I got your PMs, sorry it took me so long to respond. How are Joey and Walli doing? Have you tried setting Joey in the carrier in the catio with her? Does Joey ever get a turn in the catio?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things are going ok, Walli is moving around a bit more, I am waiting till winter to figure out what to do next, it will take Walli that long!! plus she will prolly be in the house more. (hope) I may have to close her off from the catio come winter, not sure yet, just at the thinking stage on that one.
last 2 days she is waiting at the entrance from the catio to the house for breakfast, this is new. One day she was coming in the house before I left the room! This has never happened she is usually hiding in the catio.

No, Joey has not been able to be in the catio, still working on a plan to socialize
I can't risk a fight at this point. Walli is slow in her steps so I have to give her time. You hear about those Ferals that take a year? I know This will be Walli.
I'm working on patience for myself, as I have been really stressed. I need to work on Joeys Hyperness, (because I can work with him) He is basically the problem with the socializing he is such a spaz, he would run up to Walli and pretty sure they would have a fight again. He is kind of an aggressive kitty and I know Walli is pretty mellow, she use to sit outside and check out my Cat Patchy without a problem, she passed last october she was 18yrs old.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
.......last 2 days she is waiting at the entrance from the catio to the house for breakfast, this is new. One day she was coming in the house before I left the room! This has never happened she is usually hiding in the catio.
Good progress here as she is waiting for breakfast at the entrance of the catio. Next to do is place the food at the entrance of the catio and everyday, inch her food further and further away from the catio entrance into the house away from the catio.

This will let her know that the house is also her territory and she is free to roam and check out the house and also this will boost her confidence.

Don't give up, you are doing great! My guess, by winter she should be comfortably be in the house.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great update! Wonderful that Walli is starting to wait for breakfast. That gives you an opportunity for more bonding, and letting her know you're the food lady. ;)

Hopefully once Joey gets past his 1st year, he'll start to be a bit more mellow, or at least less hyper.

Sorry about your Patchy.:alright: Eighteen years is a long time. I'm sure you miss her. RIP sweet girl.:angel:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about Patchy. :( Well if you're worried about the cats punching each other, my cats never hurt each other, I didn't even have to monitor them. The bars on the carrier and on the gated room are crisscrossed, so their paws just bounce off.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! you guys are great, would be lost without you!
I'm more hopeful than I have been, I'm just starting to relax a bit, probably helpful to Walli too!

I'm hoping Walli is getting a little food motivated, because she is not.
It's like a Mexican Standoff!

@tabby tom I feed her on the other side of the window, in the bedroom
she has a shelf that leads to a bookcase, it's right by the window.
I have been thinking too, I may need to change this, because it allows her to just be in the catio more.
I should make a drawing of what I have her in, I love all the advise, it gets me thinking!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I told you this before, but what worked for my cats is words. They love learning new words and it seemed to make us understand each other better. It's weird because I never taught my childhood cats any words, other than their names.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What words do you teach them?

She might know breakfast time and supper time :lol:
Oh and Hi Walli!