I Got My Feral In The House Today!

CheetahLover5859

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, Joey is 11 months old! Regardless of his being neutered, he is at the age between a kitten & being fully grown, in musculature too, to hold his own in defending territory & competing for females. In a world colony, he would be 'play-fighting' very roughly with other young males. He won't reach this size as he's neutrered, but his boisterous Tom instincts are still there. Litters where there is only one Tom can be a nightmare for the sisters who get pounced on. Walli is at a distinct disadvantage here, the best thing for Joey is another boy...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Catio is a Cat House on the Patio, she can go in the catio from her room.
The Baby gates are secure, We have 4 on top of each other - 100% secure.
The Baby gates are up so we can re-introduce the 2 cats.
Walli is 5-6 year old Feral, She came first She is VERY Feral. We had to capture her about 3 weeks ago because we had our house fumigated, It was a setback but we are on the right track now.
I will exchange blankets so they can smell each other!
We cannot handle Walli yet, I think we are 2-3 months away from letting the cats be together (I hope) I don't care how long it takes as long as they can become friends.
She is so Feral, she is not food motivated, I have read also to feed them on either
side of a gate, but that will not happen for us yet. I wish!
Thanks so much for replying to my story, It is something that is always on my mind. I feel bad bringing in a stray, Walli would be doing much better without another cat, but I'm hoping Joey will be a friend for her, She needs a friend!

Joey is very playful and hyper right now, hope he calms down soon, he has calmed some since the neutering.

CheetahLover5859

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I was wondering, I am in the UK, so Catio was something new, I was thinking a cage on a terrace or balcony etc, some of us call the patio, if paved, a patio, others a terrace if raised, just 'garden' if it's a concrete area before the grass, I wasn't sure if it was a special 'brand' of container Lol!!
I have only had truly feral kittens, captured in cages on 'brown-field' sites; I had them in that 'window' when they could get used to humans. I had to feed them behind a screen in the cage that a feral society lent me & leave the room for a long time (they were only 6 weeks old - the mother was beyond adaption to humans & went to a farm with other mums). I had other adult cats, Toms & one female, so kittens were the best at the time - and there were a lot of them. After a few weeks, they would feed without the screen & even more weeks when they would feed, scaredy-cat style, in front of me, legs splayed, as if ready to take off or as if I would steal their food (no chance, I'm Vegan Lol!).
It isn't that Walli isn't food-oriented, it's her fear that is stopping her eat, it's a private thing that makes her vulnerable in unfamiliar situations. A threatened cat with a newly-caught mouse in their mouth will drop their dinner no matter how hungry they are.
It isn't relevant to you, but at the time I had those kittens, I also had two German Shepherd dogs, who would chase 'interloper cats' out of the garden (but with closed mouths, not to hurt them, just make them leave, I had trained them); the dogs had the same instinct in the street or in parks where there were squirrels (but on a lead then), but ignored cats in other houses & any new ones that made their way here, didn't even make eye contact. They mainly kept away from the cats, especially spitting ones, their language is different - dogs like to get up close to faces, cats don't & in their world that is aggression; it was an eye-opener that new cats, feral/strays, felt that US were more of a problem than dogs. I emphasise that there are no wild dogs other than foxes in Britain, no Wolves or Coyotes.
I'd like to say how chuffed I am (that means pleased/gladdened if not an American saying) that you have not only taken in this little Sweety but that little stray Joey too! That is what I have always done. I can no longer walk large powerful dogs, so it's just cats now. It's been really heartening hearing from you, I hope I've helped in a little way & given you hope for the future, they will be friends though Joey will be too boisterous for her now maybe. She will enjoy the comfort of another cat, if you could keep us all posted about developments that would be lovely too. Meanwhile, a big Purr & Meow & Yeowl from my Crew Lol....

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I am new to the Feral/Stray situation, I have made mistakes but I think I'm on the right track now, wish there was someone in San Diego to hold my hand! Walli deserves a better life, she has lived 5 years as a Feral, I'm sure she has had a litter or two, I hope she settles in to having a great life as a House Cat, I can't wait for her and Joey to be friends, she will love having a friend and then she will see I am her friend too!
Thanks so much! Stay in touch I know I will need help a long the way, that's why
I am here almost everyday, It's my lifeline right now!

CheetahLover5859

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don't seem to be making 'mistakes' the way I see it, just doing your best at the moment, it's difficult I know & I have a large house & have had big dogs at the same time...
Please keep me posted, that would be lovely, I wish Walli & Joey a great 'family' freindship, they WILL achieve it in time... and of course, where CATS are concerned, EVERYTHING is in their OWN 'cat' time... From 3000 miles away, good luck....

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was interesting and something to consider:
"At the back of him are bigger humans that all stand & stare at her, she may even distrust their nice, soothing tones & misread their loving smiles as she's feral. And they ALL appear in the doorway, with or without each other, when she is cornered with no way out!!"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Very interesting. :agree: Guess that goes along with the advice to "not loom over them" and to "get down to their level".

Hope things are going well with Walli. :hearthrob:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So there is a round tube that connects the Catio to Walli's room.
I put a couple treats in there and she came in and ate them during the day (she hasn't been coming in during the day) I'm thinking this is something I can use to motivate her. Also we have been using the baby gates at night to keep Joey separated from her. I think she may have come out of her room last night, Joey was smelling all over the living room, I am going to order a kitty cam this weekend. I know this doesn't sound like much, but I am watching for anything different. I am concerned about those 2 getting in a fight if they make contact, so I am being very slow and cautious till I can figure out how to socialize these 2.

CheetahLover5859

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This was interesting and something to consider:
"At the back of him are bigger humans that all stand & stare at her, she may even distrust their nice, soothing tones & misread their loving smiles as she's feral. And they ALL appear in the doorway, with or without each other, when she is cornered with no way out!!"
Something else to consider I think, I forgot to mention it before, is that in the animal world, standing square-on, showing your teeth with pulled back lips & a direct stare is a THREAT, a WARNING. Anoffside posture with closed mouth & looking away is better. Also, I have found reading to cats/dogs to be helpful, even behind a door at first if necessary. Letting them hear quiet conversations would be helpful if other family members live there, not just visit. They seem to like quiet deeper tones reading a book, magazine, anything.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walli was a little braver last night, I feed her before we go to bed as she doesn't come in till we do, I don't like her wet food sitting so long.
Well she was ready to come in as I was feeding her, I could see her thru the tube waiting to come in, She was sitting on the shelf that leads to the house, I know not much, but this is a 1st! I can see we are moving along slowly. but at least were moving!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I won't give up!
Can't wait for the day I post a pic of Walli and Joey sleeping together :)

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Walli, It's has been a while since I have checked in. Wondering how everything is going?
My little Tux has been gone a month now, he is with a rescue group in a foster...I am super sad and I miss him every day. I hope he has a good life, I try to stay in touch with them and so far he seems to be progressing and doing good.
Give an update when you can....Hope all is well.
Kathleen

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! I'm glad little tux is doing well, He deserves it!

Walli is still hiding in her catio, She comes in at night only, I have been giving her a catnip bag and she seems to be playing pretty good at night.
I feel so bad for her sitting in the same spot all day long, but I suppose she usually sleeps during the day anyway.

It's making it hard to socialize her and Joey, altho at night she has the run of the house and can see him at the baby gates, still haven't got that kitty cam yet, will do it this week for sure.
I need to be patient, I'm feeling guilty for her and have thoughts of her being better off being released, but I know I can't release her now, It would cause more problems.

Does it sound ok to give it another month before I make any decisions?
An extreme thought I'm having is forcing her into the house so we can socialize
but I know she is still freaked out by the crate/vet debacle.

Thanks for asking! I'm a bit tormented right now, I think the 1st step is to get that kitty cam so I know what I'm dealing with her and Joey. Not sure if you know but I found out Walli is 5-6 years old! She has done pretty well for herself surviving out there.

Joey is a very easygoing cat a little hyper but he is young.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the kitty cam is a great idea. I'm curious to see if they interact at all. No, please don't give up in a month! I think you can do this. Can you try putting Joey in the crate and setting him in her room? Have you tried this already, I can't remember.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also think the kitty cam is a good idea. It will, at least, let you know what Walli does when you're asleep.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not giving up in a month, I was asking permission to just let everything be as is :lol: I can't think of anything different to do right now. I need to give her space I think, but I feel guilty also.

I have put Joey in a crate in Wallis room before the crate/vet debacle
I don't feel like I can do that right now, plus it would have to be after we go to bed, as Walli doesn't come in the house till then. (She's still mad at me)
I will order the kitty cam tonite, sounds unanimous! Hopefully they are interacting in a small way. Thanks pals!