I Found A Litter Of Kittens In My Garage And I Don’t Know What To Do

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know you're having doubts now, but you really did the best thing by bringing them all indoors. I've been doing TNR with feral colonies for a few years. The kittens that I'm able to catch or coax indoors all do fine. The ones that I can't get to almost all die. Even if they survive outside they just get trapped in the cycle of hunger-fear-disease-danger that other feral cats are in.

You've given them the best chance possible by taking them in. Just hang in there.

That's great news about getting them to pee and drink a little formula.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you are doing as well as can be done at this moment. You had also got marvellous advices and comments.

One more remark. Cats usually dont abandon their kittens because a human touched them - contrary to the myth.
So your helping the kittens didnt caused the momma to hide. And if she take courage and comes down, she will probably continue to take care of them.

Here she was too shy, too feral, to adapt and copy. Most do, even most of the semiferales. You hadnt the luck with you, and now its you whom keeps the kittens alive. On the positive note, the survivors will of course be entirely socialized and human friendly. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for helping me through this. Definitely glad I found this website. When I got home last night I saw that the mama cat came down from her hole and ate, but she didn’t take care of her kittens. They were cold and wet and I had to quickly warm them up then get some food in them. I’ve had them upstairs because it’s easier for me up here and I have been sort of successfully caring for them. Should I put them back downstairs again though? Is there any chance mama will try to care for them again?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like you are their mother now. I've never known a cat to abandon her kittens and then accept them back again late. If it's easier for you to take care of them upstairs then you should keep them up there with you. Little kittens need feeding every few hours, so much better that you can do that without disturbing the mother cat again.

Are they all drinking the formula now?

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like you are their mother now. I've never known a cat to abandon her kittens and then accept them back again late. If it's easier for you to take care of them upstairs then you should keep them up there with you. Little kittens need feeding every few hours, so much better that you can do that without disturbing the mother cat again.

Are they all drinking the formula now?
It’s been hit and miss. Sometimes they latch and drink their full meal. A lot of times they’ll start but just lose interest after a few moments. There’s a couple kittens that just look smaller and weaker and one of them has a shakiness to their head I don’t like. I’m going to bring them somewhere in a bit to see if I can get some help. I’d love if someone who was more experienced would just take them off of my hands but I doubt there will be many volunteers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps handraie the weaks whom risk ro be abandoned or risk to be pushed off?

The alteenative is to rotate them: two wekest on biggest off sleeping and change after 2 hours

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make a few phone calls to shelters to see if they have fosters lined up, or can put you in touch with rescues. We're starting to get into busy kitten season, so everyone gets overloaded. Perhaps at least, they could help you with tips on the kittens' care.

Or maybe try some vet clinics. A lot of times vet techs will foster the babies.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you contact rescues, ask them about help getting the mother cat spayed too. Sometimes it is free through a TNR program. TNR programs will tip the cats ear. I believe it is best to wait a little while until the mother stops lactating. And maybe they will loan you a trap.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If momma cat has not been nursing her babies, her milk may be drying/hardening... which could be very painful at this point. So that may be another factor in her continued distance from the babies.

At this point, I think you're in charge. Keep at it, you may be able to save them yet. Definitely reach out to local resources for help; vets, rescues, shelters, as others have mentioned.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things going? Did everyone make it through the week?
I’ve lost orphaned kittens before, even with the vet involved and plenty of help from others. Sometimes some just don’t thrive without the mother. Don’t be hard on yourself if it happens, you’ve done everything possible! It’s so easy to get attached even after only a few days and hard if they don’t make it. I’ve lost baby birds too, both wild and domesticated, sometimes for no apparent reason. Sometimes they are just too weak to survive. Just keep your chin up and take care of the surviving ones or try to find help. It’s a very overwhelming job especially for one person, to take care of unweaned kittens.

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well not to depress anyone, but in spite of my best efforts and the humane society’s, none of the kittens made it. They said the kittens had a genetic abnormality that made them not able to take in enough milk and they suspected it could be due to inbreeding. (It wouldn’t surprise me considering my neighbors let their cats breed freely and do nothing to prevent this kind of thing from happening.) I really appreciated all the help I received from this forum though.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry too, I know how hard it is to lose them. You did all you could! Maybe you can catch that female and have her spayed. One town where I lived had a program where the non-profit came out and set traps, then spayed and released any cats they caught. I think the local Humane Society usually has cage/traps you can take for a deposit and they will usually spay/neuter any ferals free of charge that you bring in if they’re in the traps.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry. There is nothing you could have done, but at least you tried. It must have been very upsetting for you.

:hugs:

What happened to the mother cat? Is she still in your basement? I think getting her spayed and then releasing her is probably the best option. At least she won't have to go through this again that way.

Rest In Peace Little Kittens.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear the kittens didn't make it. :( Kittens have a high mortality rate, which I guess is why they have so many in a litter.

You were a blessing to them, taking them in. You did the right thing. Never forget that. :grouphug2: