I Found A Litter Of Kittens In My Garage And I Don’t Know What To Do

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to capture the mom and put her in the basement with her kittens because my garage isn’t a safe place for them to be. I put food, water, a litter box with dirt because I think the cat is feral and some blankets for the babies to lay on. I’ve checked on them a couple times and the mom hasn’t moved or eaten at all that I can see.

The babies are all alive still but it’s been like ten hours. I bought some formula and just tried to feed them a little with an eye dropper and they mostly were not receptive and didn’t release their bowels when I wiped them with a cotton ball dipped in warm water. Maybe this means mom is taking care of them? Maybe I should just back off and hope for the best? I’m so scared I’ve traumatized the mom into not being able to take care of her babies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, can you call a vet and talk to them? Most will provide an after hours emergency number in the message if you dial the regular number...do you know anyone with a camera so you could see what's happening? If she were feral you would have had more trouble, I think...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, can you call a vet and talk to them? Most will provide an after hours emergency number if you dial the regular number...
I talked to a vet earlier today
Hi, can you call a vet and talk to them? Most will provide an after hours emergency number if you dial the regular number...
Well I talked to someone at my vet’s office today and they seemed to think I had done everything I could and were confident the mom would go to them. I’m just feeling constantly torn between going down there and trying to care for them myself or just backing off and hoping the mother will calm down and do it herself. I feel awful about the whole thing and wonder if I should’ve just left them in the garage.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi there A Amstraight87 Thanks for helping this family.

Were you able to handle the mother cat at all? A true feral cat would have taken off as soon as you got close, or would have attacked you if you tried to touch her. If you were able to get close or handle her enough to move her I guess she is a stray or semi feral at least.

If the mom is in the same room as the babies she is probably taking care of them. What happens when you go into the room? Is she with the kittens or hiding somewhere else? Are the kittens all heaped together sleeping or moving around crying?

If you see her with them or if the kittens are sleeping in one big pile then she is looking after them. If they are distressed, crawling around and calling for Mum it means they are hungry.

Just leave her to it if the kittens are quiet. She'll do better without any interruptions.

You absolutely did the right thing by moving them. They are much safer in an enclosed space like a basement.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's also a website by The Kitten Lady, the menu drop-down has kitten info, there might be something there for you.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you’re doing a great job already! Just watch them like Norachan wrote, and be prepared to jump in with KMR if necessary. Thank you for caring! :heartshape:

Please do keep us updated!

EDIT: fixed a typo

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the kittens warm, round, squirmy, and mostly contented? If so, she's caring for them. If they're cold, lethargic, or fussy you'll have to step in.

Sounds like you're doing everything all right so far!

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there A Amstraight87 Thanks for helping this family.

Were you able to handle the mother cat at all? A true feral cat would have taken off as soon as you got close, or would have attacked you if you tried to touch her. If you were able to get close or handle her enough to move her I guess she is a stray or semi feral at least.

If the mom is in the same room as the babies she is probably taking care of them. What happens when you go into the room? Is she with the kittens or hiding somewhere else? Are the kittens all heaped together sleeping or moving around crying?

If you see her with them or if the kittens are sleeping in one big pile then she is looking after them. If they are distressed, crawling around and calling for Mum it means they are hungry.

Just leave her to it if the kittens are quiet. She'll do better without any interruptions.

You absolutely did the right thing by moving them. They are much safer in an enclosed space like a basement.
I would definitely qualify her as feral as it was quite a hassle to catch her and she bit me in the process. The kittens have been mostly quiet and are always piled up so it’s very encouraging to hear that probably means she’s caring for them. Mama cat is always in the same corner when I go down there (not far from the kittens) and hasn’t eaten the tuna or wet cat food I put out for her so thats why I’ve been concerned she’s not been moving and trying to take care of them. She ate chicken I had in the garage for her last night though so I really hope she will eat again tonight. I’ll give her lots of space and hopefully she’ll adjust and maybe learn to trust me a little bit later. Thanks so much for responding. I’ve been wracked with guilt over this for hours.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're totally awesome, hang in there!!
Take a look at the Kitten Lady's website, but it sounds like everyone here, and you, are doing dandy.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that she eats. Have you tried goat milk, sardines, even kitten food, for her? More chicken, unseasoned, if that's what she'll eat for now, that's fine.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like she is doing a good job of taking care of them. Don't check on her too often, as long as she has water and a litter box she'll be fine. If the food is there she will eat it when she is hungry. You could try leaving a bowl of dry food for her to snack on too.

Did the bite break the skin? If it did I strongly recommend that you go to A&E and get a tetanus booster and some antibiotics. Cat bites can be really nasty, please don't leave it too long if she bit you hard enough to draw blood.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, is your bite ok? Norachan posted just before I did, so you're in good hands :)

Last edited:

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The bite is very shallow and seems ok. I’m keeping a close eye on it. Thanks everyone for all the advice. I’m admittedly a dog person (but I love all animals) and only had some basic internet research to go off of. Here’s the babies and I hope to get to post more pictures of them growing big and strong.
:hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about a video baby monitor? Maybe someone can loan you one for a few weeks? Or even a used one? I don't know that you'd want to invest in a brand new one. I know our realtor used a video system for their puppies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When you are down there, talk a lot to the momma in a friendly low voice. Such talking is a natural language for cats, reminds of a friendly tom courting.
Dont look directly at her eyes. Look on the ears or the flank instead.

You can also try to make the movements of friendly cats greeting each other: yawn. Standing on all fours, strech on yourself...

Being low, sitting low or even laying down, is helpful too. You arent towering as much as otherwise...

After a whole she will understand better the situation, will adapt and copy. Cats mom are here exactly as human moms:
The welfare of her children is more important then the "freedom".

As soon she understands you are their friend and protector, helping the kittens, she will copy. She may remain shy, but you wont have difficulties fostering the kittens...

Tx for your help!

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well mama cat ate last night and the kittens seemed great, but I didn’t see her anywhere. I have an unfinished basement so I figured she found a good hiding spot in the rafters or on the vents, but now a kitten has been calling for about ten minutes, and I’m starting to worry. Should I give her more time since I was just down there about a half hour ago and she might be waiting till it seems safe? Or could something be wrong?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking them in and providing safety! Perhaps she'll tend to the crying kitten in a few more minutes. Otherwise, I would go in and sit quietly in an opposite corner from the kittens to see if you see momma peekng out anywhere. If she doesn't appear to be around and the kitten is still crying, try to supplement a little KMR.

You're doing a great job!

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure the kittens can’t get into anything dangerous. If your basement is unfinished, think carefully about where a cat might get stuck. If they can stick their head in anywhere, they can get in. A feral can get into trouble trying to escape so try to cat proof the area. No plastic bags, electrical outlets covered; pretend you’re leaving a 2 year old human down there and that should help. I think if the babies are crying, the mom may hide until you leave. Make sure to speak soothingly and talk about how safe she and her kittens are anytime you’re in there, don’t be silent like a predator would be. If you’re handling the kittens now is she still coming to them? Maybe she smells you and she is hesitant but I think eventually she’ll go back. You can’t keep her in your basement indefinitely so start thinking about responsible future owners who will absolutely get those kittens fixed at 8-9 weeks (to keep them from developing marking habits) Once she’s done nursing, any animal societies and I think also the Humane Society will fix feral cats (the mother) for free if you use their trap cage to bring her in. In Hawaii they snip the ear so you can see at a glance if the feral is spayed or neutered.
I would definitely qualify her as feral as it was quite a hassle to catch her and she bit me in the process. The kittens have been mostly quiet and are always piled up so it’s very encouraging to hear that probably means she’s caring for them. Mama cat is always in the same corner when I go down there (not far from the kittens) and hasn’t eaten the tuna or wet cat food I put out for her so thats why I’ve been concerned she’s not been moving and trying to take care of them. She ate chicken I had in the garage for her last night though so I really hope she will eat again tonight. I’ll give her lots of space and hopefully she’ll adjust and maybe learn to trust me a little bit later. Thanks so much for responding. I’ve been wracked with guilt over this for hours.