I Found A Litter Of Kittens In My Garage And I Don’t Know What To Do

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put a big cardboard box down their, someplace for the mom to feel safe with her nest of kittens, and then do not come to close to it, until the babies are bigger and ready for socialization. Keep visiting the mother and checking on them, but leave the box alone.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’re so sweet to take on such a huge responsibility! At all costs, don’t be like the feral mothers owner or ancestors owner and let them go around without being spayed/neutered. Lots of people like to take kittens but very few bother to have them fixed. They are often adopted by people who want something to keep their children entertained. I regret if that offends anyone and I do know there are many parents of children who are also responsible pet owners, I commend those parents for taking on additional ‘children’! The sad fact is that those kittens and that feral mother are now depending on you to make sure that they don’t add to the already overwhelming amount of unwanted cats in the USA. The last time I checked there were almost 100 each of cats and dogs per human in the USA. Many are euthanized, plenty are killed by cars or other animals and enough are brutally murdered to make it imperative to keep the population from increasing. There are tons of animal societies that have low cost spay and neuter programs. Make sure anyone who adopts your kittens pays you the cost of their spay/neuter and then use that money to get them an appointment at the humane society. I think it’s Petco that also has an adoption day for humane society cats. They can help you with your future plans. Good luck to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went down to check and found one of them off the blanket. I put it back and happened to glimpse mama in the rafters on the way back up. I decided to take my dogs (who get quite boisterous in the morning) for a drive. Maybe all the happy feet sounds of my dogs are pretty intimidating to her down there and the quiet will lure her out. I have formula ready and waiting but I think this mama would happily do it on her own if she feels safe. If I stay out for an hour or two does his seem like a good idea or should I be checking on the kitten sooner?

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would put a big cardboard box down their, someplace for the mom to feel safe with her nest of kittens, and then do not come to close to it, until the babies are bigger and ready for socialization. Keep visiting the mother and checking on them, but leave the box alone.
Great idea! It will give the mother a safer feeling than being exposed.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot you have dogs! Yes she’s probably freaked out by the barking and such. I think you’re on the right track though, leave them be and check them every couple of hours. Kittens will absolutely be crawling all over soon! Don’t forget to use soothing and happy speech when you’re down there to let her know you’re a friend. You might consider putting a radio down there for a few hours a day, tuned to classical music. They usually have soothing voices and music on those stations and it will help the kittens to adjust to humans later on.
I went down to check and found one of them off the blanket. I put it back and happened to glimpse mama in the rafters on the way back up. I decided to take my dogs (who get quite boisterous in the morning) for a drive. Maybe all the happy feet sounds of my dogs are pretty intimidating to her down there and the quiet will lure her out. I have formula ready and waiting but I think this mama would happily do it on her own if she feels safe. If I stay out for an hour or two does his seem like a good idea or should I be checking on the kitten sooner?

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You’re so sweet to take on such a huge responsibility! At all costs, don’t be like the feral mothers owner or ancestors owner and let them go around without being spayed/neutered. Lots of people like to take kittens but very few bother to have them fixed. They are often adopted by people who want something to keep their children entertained. I regret if that offends anyone and I do know there are many parents of children who are also responsible pet owners, I commend those parents for taking on additional ‘children’! The sad fact is that those kittens and that feral mother are now depending on you to make sure that they don’t add to the already overwhelming amount of unwanted cats in the USA. The last time I checked there were almost 100 each of cats and dogs per human in the USA. Many are euthanized, plenty are killed by cars or other animals and enough are brutally murdered to make it imperative to keep the population from increasing. There are tons of animal societies that have low cost spay and neuter programs. Make sure anyone who adopts your kittens pays you the cost of their spay/neuter and then use that money to get them an appointment at the humane society. I think it’s Petco that also has an adoption day for humane society cats. They can help you with your future plans. Good luck to you!
While I always spay/neuter my animals, I can’t say the same for my neighbor. They are very irresponsible with their cats and their dogs. Every year I have kittens running around my yard, but this is the first time I happened upon a newborn litter. I definitely don’t plan to let these guys go without fixing them first.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I checked there were almost 100 each of cats and dogs per human in the USA
30 billion cats and 30 billion dogs. . .impressive. As there are 2.3 billion square acres of land in the US, that makes a population density of over 10 per acre. So, um, no. Yes, cats, especially are very overpopulated but not by that much, lol.

Sorry, that's OT, the large number caught my eye and I just had to ;).

Everything seems to be going well so far. You might want to set up some kind of box or pen system so the kittens don't go crawling off somewhere.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she found a nice hidey hole, the danger is she may take her all her kittens to this hidey. In the long run its no real problem, but in the short run you wont have no access to them...

So really, if you do have a big dog cage, the best is perhaps to have her and them in this dog cage. Her having a little cat igloo or sideturned cardboard box for her privacy.

Make sure its clean and dont smell dogs... How to catch her and put into the cage, I dont know.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I always spay/neuter my animals, I can’t say the same for my neighbor. They are very irresponsible with their cats and their dogs. Every year I have kittens running around my yard, but this is the first time I happened upon a newborn litter. I definitely don’t plan to let these guys go without fixing them first.
You are really wonderful to do that! I get so upset when I see people letting their cats have litter after litter of kittens. They just have no idea or they just don’t care about all of the suffering they’re promoting!

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she found a nice hidey hole, the danger is she may take her all her kittens to this hidey. In the long run its no real problem, but in the short run you wont have no access to them...

So really, if you do have a big dog cage, the best is perhaps to have her and them in this dog cage. Her having a little cat igloo or sideturned cardboard box for her privacy.

Make sure its clean and dont smell dogs... How to catch her and put into the cage, I dont know.
Yes good point, give her and her babies a secure hiding place now so she doesn’t move the kittens somewhere you can’t access them! On a side note, I found out a few years ago that male cats will sometimes kill kittens they find. It must be similar to the behavior of male lions that kill the cubs when they take over the pride to bring the females into heat, thus propogating their own genes. I suppose that’s why female cats always leave the kittens in a safe area because of this.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
30 billion cats and 30 billion dogs. . .impressive. As there are 2.3 billion square acres of land in the US, that makes a population density of over 10 per acre. So, um, no. Yes, cats, especially are very overpopulated but not by that much, lol.

Everything seems to be going well so far. You might want to set up some kind of box or pen system so the kittens don't go crawling off somewhere.

M&M

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh that’s good to hear! I got that number from the Humane Society a few years ago, I’m glad to see it’s decreasing! Thank goodness for people like AMStraight87 who care!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On a side note, I found out a few years ago that male cats will sometimes kill kittens they find. It must be similar to the behavior of male lions that kill the cubs when they take over the pride to bring the females into heat, thus propogating their own genes. I suppose that’s why female cats always leave the kittens in a safe area because of this.
Yes, that danger is real. Although its mostly from toms new to the area and or this female. Toms whom are acquinted with moma are no real danger. Friends with momma are never or almost never any real danger. Quite the opposite, they will sometimes do coparenting. Not uncommon if biological parent, but happens also with say, a stud living in the same flat if they are good friends.
One animal behaviorist had even the hypothesis why females allow themselves to be mated by all toms present, is just to inhibit this. This way, they all know her, and thus wont be no danger to the kittens.
If true, it confirms they dont need to be biological parents. A mating is more than enough...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that’s good to hear! I got that number from the Humane Society a few years ago, I’m glad to see it’s decreasing! Thank goodness for people like AMStraight87 who care!
I doubt that particular number ever was true. . .I don't think that population density is physically possible. Maybe for mice, but not cats or dogs. Current population of cats is: 85.8 million pet cats, and perhaps as many as the same number of strays/ferals. The dog population is: 78 million pets, much fewer strays/ferals. So that's 1 for every 3 people (-ish). The number killed in shelters is under 3 million so that doesn't change much. I'm sure many die outside of shelters too but I don't think we're talking about billions here, or we'd be up to our ears in dead animals. If the Humane Society ever said such a thing they should be ashamed for not doing their math!

Hmm, if this is an ongoing problem, it would be a good idea to see if you could get the neighborhood cats TNRed. Is there a TNR group in your area?

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well things are not going very well. The mama cat has been hiding in a hole up in the rafters that I didn’t know existed and leads to under a room of the house and I’m not sure that she’s come out all day. I’m confident she can come out, though. The kittens are now moving and calling for her. I’ve been trying to feed them but they won’t take formula from a dropper or a bottle. I’ve looked up some videos and stuff to get tips but nothing works. I really don’t know what to do at this point.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a deep breath and try and relax first. It is important to do it correctly so that the kittens do not aspirate milk into their lungs. I would keep watching video's and read more suggestion on how to do it. I'm sure more experience people than me will offer better suggestions. Do you have an empty medicine syringe you could use? I prefer that over an eye dropper. Keep the kittens warm. Do you have a heating pad? If so, wrap towels around it, so the kittens will not get burned. Here's a video on syringe feeding:

Don't give up. Stay calm. Here's another thread that might help:

Orphan kittens refusing to be fed

Someone recommended using a sponge soaked in formula in this thread:

Very Little Newborn Persian Kittens

Last edited:

Amstraight87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take a deep breath and try and relax first. It is important to do it correctly so that the kittens do not aspirate milk into their lungs. I would keep watching video's and read more suggestion on how to do it. I'm sure more experience people than me will offer better suggestions. Do you have an empty medicine syringe you could use? I prefer that over an eye dropper. Keep the kittens warm. Do you have a heating pad? If so, wrap towels around it, so the kittens will not get burned. Here's a video on syringe feeding:

Don't give up. Stay calm. Here's another thread that might help:

Orphan kittens refusing to be fed

Someone recommended using a sponge soaked in formula in this thread:

Very Little Newborn Persian Kittens
Unfortunately, I couldn’t get anything to work still. I rearranged the kittens’ bedding and they’re laying in a little pile again so maybe they’re ok for now and mom will come down for some food soon and feed her kittens too. If not I guess I’ll try all over again tomorrow. I honestly never know if I’m doing the right thing but I do know their mother is their best bet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In nature, its quite common momma goes out hunting food, often several hours. So the kittens must manage themselves. And healthy hittens usually do.

Of course, with such friends they really dont need no enemies.... These not so strong do perish.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As long as they are warm and not likely to fall and hurt themselves looking for Mum, they'll be fine.

They won't starve over night, even if she doesn't come back and feed them. Don't worry about it for now, just give her some time alone.

If they seem very distressed in the morning you could try syringe feeding again.

I'm worried that the mother might try to move them up into the rafters though. Is there any way you could block off the hole?