I finally caught me feral

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I wanted to update he was in his cage and I was able to get him to eat pieces of chicken if I fed through the cage. I felt like a lion trainer at the zoo. He will eat if I feed him that way. I am guessing he is afraid, the Feliway ran out the same day his tree arrived, and I guess that stuff was helping because that was about the time he started to become food shy? I got a refill yesterday so I hope it helps. Otherwise any tips on training a tiger?
Sometimes cats have their off days. It's good that he went into the cage and knowing that is is safe place. It is also good that you are feeding him and he's eating. For whatever the reason he's retreating, stay with him longer and visit him more often and keep feeding him. As long as he's eating, that is the most important for now.

Keep feeding him like a lion trainer and let him recompose. Always remember, it's one step forward and two steps back. At times, you may think he's doing ok and the next, he's back to square one. But just don't be discouraged by that.
Buddy has gone through quite a bit while he's outside before coming in. You just has to empathize with him.

Remember, one step forward and two steps back done with lots of love, patience and routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats have their off days. It's good that he went into the cage and knowing that is is safe place. It is also good that you are feeding him and he's eating. For whatever the reason he's retreating, stay with him longer and visit him more often and keep feeding him. As long as he's eating, that is the most important for now.

Keep feeding him like a lion trainer and let him recompose. Always remember, it's one step forward and two steps back. At times, you may think he's doing ok and the next, he's back to square one. But just don't be discouraged by that.
Buddy has gone through quite a bit while he's outside before coming in. You just has to empathize with him.

Remember, one step forward and two steps back done with lots of love, patience and routine.
Thank you, he has been through a lot for sure and I appreciate the reminder. although he is a cat, he has lived a different life for a long time and hes not quite like my other cats., Unfortunately he looks terribly sad, when I just approached to see if he would eat another lil piece of chicken he growled and ran behind the desk.He is totally uninterested in his cat food I even put it in the cage and he just growled at me about that also so I took it out.he makes sounds I have never heard from him before he came inside is that normal from stressed cats?, I have never had a problem with him in over 5 years besides his teeth recently and I am just worried , When is a vet visit something I should consider? Thank you this is breaking my heart.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you, he has been through a lot for sure and I appreciate the reminder. although he is a cat, he has lived a different life for a long time and hes not quite like my other cats., Unfortunately he looks terribly sad, when I just approached to see if he would eat another lil piece of chicken he growled and ran behind the desk.He is totally uninterested in his cat food I even put it in the cage and he just growled at me about that also so I took it out.he makes sounds I have never heard from him before he came inside is that normal from stressed cats?, I have never had a problem with him in over 5 years besides his teeth recently and I am just worried , When is a vet visit something I should consider? Thank you this is breaking my heart.
Ok, he could be stressed from your cat. Guess it's not the right time to introduce the cats as yet though the first time went off without any mishap.

Right now, as I mentioned, let him recompose and spend lots of time with him. Your cat could have reminded him of what happened to him when he was outside before and thus he's behaving this way. Cats have memories of their past especially bad ones. To take his mind off his past, spend more time interacting with him and try to regain his trust in you. This part you cannot leave out.

Making certain sounds is telling us his feelings. Either he's in pain or feeling discomfort or don't want to be disturbed. Just keep an observation on him and try to get him to eat. If anything unusual you detect, best is to get him to the vet and not delay as we do not know how serious it is but always hope it's nothing serious.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, he could be stressed from your cat. Guess it's not the right time to introduce the cats as yet though the first time went off without any mishap.

Right now, as I mentioned, let him recompose and spend lots of time with him. Your cat could have reminded him of what happened to him when he was outside before and thus he's behaving this way. Cats have memories of their past especially bad ones. To take his mind off his past, spend more time interacting with him and try to regain his trust in you. This part you cannot leave out.

Making certain sounds is telling us his feelings. Either he's in pain or feeling discomfort or don't want to be disturbed. Just keep an observation on him and try to get him to eat. If anything unusual you detect, best is to get him to the vet and not delay as we do not know how serious it is but always hope it's nothing serious.
Thank you Tabby Tom . He is up and about this morning (that's an improvement over yesterday) , he was calling for me when he heard me wake up and he was trying to get out of his room when I brought his delicious bowl of chicken and tuna chopped together for him. He would have run out of the room if he could, but I fear that wouldn't be a good thing, as much as I would like to let him out I don't think I would would find him again, the house is pretty big and 3 levels. I'll let you guys know if he eats, I left him a bowl of his normal wet food in addition to the chicken / tuna mixture. He was hesitant to come out of his kitty studio when I was was sitting with him, so I left him alone and God willing he eats something. 🤞

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For less than a month inside, I would consider that you are making good progress! Does your new guy have a cardboard box cave? He may like extra privacy even though he is longing for the great outdoors.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call the vet this morning
. He did have 3 teeth pulled and from what I have been reading, a follow up to insure the healing went well in many cases is the process. Maybe I am wrong but it is what I have read and it would make sense to me so I am going to call them because he didn't eat a thing this morning

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For less than a month inside, I would consider that you are making good progress! Does your new guy have a cardboard box cave? He may like extra privacy even though he is longing for the great outdoors.
Yes. He has a condo tree and a 1 floor apartment as well as boxes. I was caring for him outdoors for a long time and I like to think I know his personality pretty well, even when he was having tooth pain outside, I was able to get him to eat pureed food. I kinda get the inkling something is amiss. I am going to have to drag him to the vet again, not really what I want to put him through right now, but I am concerned. How I am going to catch him, I have no idea. This has been a real struggle for over over 6 months and I guess we are not out of the woods yet. 🙏

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am going to have to drag him to the vet again, not really what I want to put him through right now, but I am concerned. How I am going to catch him, I have no idea. This has been a real struggle for over over 6 months and I guess we are not out of the woods yet. 🙏
I guess you have to bring him in to the vet for a check but there's no choice for him and hopefully, after this, it'll be much less vet visits.

First, call your vet and relate the situation to the vet and also tell them that it's difficult to catch him for trap him and so you can't like really fix a appointment to see the vet. Ask them to allow you to come as and when it's possible without an appointment.

Next is to get ready his cage. Drape a towel big enough to cover the whole cage but leaving the entrance open and not covered. Feed him in side the cage if you can. Once he's eating inside, prepare to close the door to the cage without freaking him out. I think this is the only way to trap him and also get to the vet fast without an appointment.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh - it sounds like the challenge of gingivostomatitis. I brought 2 older semi-ferals who now have that terrible condition. When the vets removed some teeth and gave them shots of long-acting antibiotic as well as a corticosteroid shot, they showed great improvement and behave like tame cats. However, the injectable antibiotic seems to be unavailable and the most recent vet simply sedated them, gave a good teeth cleaning and sent them home with oral antibiotic that hurt their mouth so much that now one has reverted to hiding from me and the other cat won't go near me if she smells the medication. They refuse to eat any food with the antibiotics in it. So far, the best that I can do is to give them a marshmallow root/slippery elm decoction that allows their slurry to be eaten less painfully. If I can arrange a day off that isn't Sunday, I might be able to ask the vet hospital if I can take them in for a pain management shot and steroid shot. I am very interested in what your own vet might suggest/do.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh - it sounds like the challenge of gingivostomatitis. I brought 2 older semi-ferals who now have that terrible condition. When the vets removed some teeth and gave them shots of long-acting antibiotic as well as a corticosteroid shot, they showed great improvement and behave like tame cats. However, the injectable antibiotic seems to be unavailable and the most recent vet simply sedated them, gave a good teeth cleaning and sent them home with oral antibiotic that hurt their mouth so much that now one has reverted to hiding from me and the other cat won't go near me if she smells the medication. They refuse to eat any food with the antibiotics in it. So far, the best that I can do is to give them a marshmallow root/slippery elm decoction that allows their slurry to be eaten less painfully. If I can arrange a day off that isn't Sunday, I might be able to ask the vet hospital if I can take them in for a pain management shot and steroid shot. I am very interested in what your own vet might suggest/do.
Yes. I just got off the phone with the vet. You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what she said. She is going to take a few pictures of his mouth to show me. You got the treatment right as well. Anti Biotic injection and long acting steroid injection. Before I was able to trap him and get him to the doctor I was trying to treat him with a homeopathic remedy, I'm going to post the picture here, I usually have to put his food in the blender with a little water and I would mix it in, he had no problem with it. Although he wouldn't eat unless I blended the food, but he ate everyday whilst I was giving him this. So you mentioned that the steroid shot and antibiotics worked, the vet doesn't have a way to procure it right now due to a shortage or is it a medical reason. I'll check back after I get him. If I can help in any way let me know. My regular vet was not in today, but the doctor who saw buddy today seemed more knowledgeable and a lot more helpful than the regular guy maybe we can help your vet Acess the medication? This is the homeopathic treatment I was using with success while bud was outside I'm probably going to order more myself. Just crushed it in with the food or slurry. BestLife4Pets Oral Health for Cats and Dental Care Supplement – All Natural Anti-inflammatory Pain Relief for Stomatitis Gingivitis and Gum Disease - Easy to Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CWGV5FT/?tag=thecatsite

Attachments

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess you have to bring him in to the vet for a check but there's no choice for him and hopefully, after this, it'll be much less vet visits.

First, call your vet and relate the situation to the vet and also tell them that it's difficult to catch him for trap him and so you can't like really fix a appointment to see the vet. Ask them to allow you to come as and when it's possible without an appointment.

Next is to get ready his cage. Drape a towel big enough to cover the whole cage but leaving the entrance open and not covered. Feed him in side the cage if you can. Once he's eating inside, prepare to close the door to the cage without freaking him out. I think this is the only way to trap him and also get to the vet fast without an appointment.
I got lucky. He was in his condo so I put the condo in the crate/cage it's pretty big and took him right over.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. I just got off the phone with the vet. You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what she said. She is going to take a few pictures of his mouth to show me. You got the treatment right as well. Anti Biotic injection and long acting steroid injection. Before I was able to trap him and get him to the doctor I was trying to treat him with a homeopathic remedy, I'm going to post the picture here, I usually have to put his food in the blender with a little water and I would mix it in, he had no problem with it. Although he wouldn't eat unless I blended the food, but he ate everyday whilst I was giving him this. So you mentioned that the steroid shot and antibiotics worked, the vet doesn't have a way to procure it right now due to a shortage or is it a medical reason. I'll check back after I get him. If I can help in any way let me know. My regular vet was not in today, but the doctor who saw buddy today seemed more knowledgeable and a lot more helpful than the regular guy maybe we can help your vet Acess the medication? This is the homeopathic treatment I was using with success while bud was outside I'm probably going to order more myself. Just crushed it in with the food or slurry. BestLife4Pets Oral Health for Cats and Dental Care Supplement – All Natural Anti-inflammatory Pain Relief for Stomatitis Gingivitis and Gum Disease - Easy to Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CWGV5FT/?tag=thecatsite
Hi. I just wanted to give an update. Bud responded well, he is behaving like a cat again. Eating & Drinking normally. He has expanded where he feels comfortable a bit. Found some new hiding spots and will venture out a little when I am in the room. Thank you all for your help & concern!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi. I just wanted to give an update. Bud responded well, he is behaving like a cat again. Eating & Drinking normally. He has expanded where he feels comfortable a bit. Found some new hiding spots and will venture out a little when I am in the room. Thank you all for your help & concern!
That's great to hear! Keep it up Bud!