I Finally Caught Her!!! (i Could Use Some Advice Now Though)

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Happy New Year.

I live in southern New England. We just got socked with 15-18 inches of snow yesterday, but I'm happy none-the-less.

This past July someone dumped a VERY pregnant cat in my neighborhood. She is a small and young brown tiger. She looked less than a year old, and probably her 1st heat. I tried catching her back then but one day she showed up and was no longer pregnant, so i stopped trying to trap her for awhile. I knew her babies were somewhere close though I could not find them. I decided to make sure the Mom was well fed.
Over those weeks we developed a routine. At 7am I would put 2 cans of wet food outside my door. If she wasn't waiting she would appear within minutes. My neighbor leaves dry food out for any strays (or skunks) but good wet food won me the prefered feeder designation from her. At first she constantly watched me while she ate, any sort of body movement she would bolt.....but as the days went on she would eat without looking up at me. I started talking to her while she ate, not making eye contact, just letting her hear my voice all the time. If I moved towards her she would walk away then stop, then return if I retreated. So we established a 10 foot rule. She started coming around in the late afternoons for more food (kittens were somewhere getting bigger). So for four or five weeks this was our routine, 2x's a day feedings at 7 o'clock. I would tell her about my day as she ate, then watched as she would stroll off into the late summer dusk of night. When I named her is when I knew I was in trouble, Laureline.
On a heavily rainy night in late August I awoke at around 3am thinking I hear a cat crying outside my window. I grabbed my flashlight and looked around from my bedroom window. I thought I saw a little black and white kitten soaked and crying near me neighbor's porch. I put on a pair of pants as fast as I could and ran out the door to get this kitten somewhere safe. In the minute it took me to get out there she was already gone. I literally went back to bed thinking I might have just imagined the whole thing. Really bizarre.
One night towards the beginning of September I saw Laureline sitting in my backyard just staring at my house. I quickly opened a can of wet food for her and placed it out by my kitchen door. She just sat there and stared would not approach, so I went back inside to watch her from my window. THEN, as she moved forward (I'm getting goose pimples as i write this) two little things came out from under the bushes. They were so gorgeous! A tiny grey and white tiger and a grey and white tuxedo. I now knew that I didn't imagine the kitten that rainy night. Those kittens wolfed down that can of food so fast. I was so excited I opened 3 more cans and brought them outside. The kittens bolted so fast as I approached, but Laureline just sat calmly about 20 feet away, not moving at all. The kittens came back, gorged themselves as Mom watched over them. When they were full she then approached and ate. Our routine was modified from that day on. I put out 4 cans of food 2x's a day, I no longer sat outside while she ate. Kittens eat first, Mom watches. Kittens wash themselves and play while Mom eats, I talk to Laureline while she eats then they head off into the night.

Fall is here - I'M WORRIED about their safety, the upcoming Winter and Laureline getting pregnant again. I know I want to catch them, but I don't know what to do. I do not want to catch the Mom before the babies, etc, etc. I need help!

I get put in contact with a local TNR group in Rhode Island called Pawswatch. The local person comes over, gives me 3 traps. We go over what I should do, I'm ready. I've been noticing over the past couple weeks that when Laureline walks away the little tiger follows her. The grey and white Tuxedo is a little more independent. Not only does he stay behind, but I've seen him come to me for food completely on his own. First night - I catch him. The grey and white tiger took another week to get (Fresh cooked chicken atop the wet food drew them both in). I brought them both to the woman from Pawswatch and they have both been given a clean bill of health and have since been adopted.

That was late October. I start seeing less and less of Laureline. Once every two weeks maybe. Some nights the food goes uneaten, sometimes it's gone. It's getting dark so early now, food is starting to freeze in the bowl......where are you?

I won't leave the trap out overnight, or when I'm not home. I put a little trail of Tuna leading into the trap. I watched her one day walk into the trap (following my Hanzel & Gretel trail) but she stopped and looked at the bowland left the trap. She walked around the outside and used her paw to retrieve food from outside the trap. I knew I liked this cat!
This method was not going to work. So my local Pawswatch person gave me a Dropper trap. The 1st night I set it up, she went in and ate. Of course it in the 5 minutes I wasn't watching, but at least she was fed.
The past week it has been bitterly cold here, maybe 3-10 degrees fahrenheit overnights, mid teens during the days. She wont eat dry food so I been putting out a new can every 3 hours or so...as fast as they will freeze solid. Her usual feeding time is around 7pm so I warm up a bowl of shredded chicken around that time too. I got the dropper string coming from my porch in thru my LR window, the food is in two white bowls, though its dark I can still make out the outlines of the bowls under the dropper, the shadows are shifting...is it....i think, I pull the string. I grab for the flashlight - I got her! Laureline

I know you hate me in this moment, but your gonna be okay. She's spitting at me as I transfer her to a regular trap. I cover the trap and bring her inside. No more will you have to freeze and forage, you will be safe and loved (if you let me). She is so small, maybe 4-5 pounds. I don't think you would have survived the winter. I take her to the Pawswatch woman and we notice right away that she has a small puncture wound on her back.

She was to be taken to the Clinic this morning (that may change due to the snowstorm). We'll make sure she is healthy, get shots and spayed. The Pawswatch woman is gonna set me up with a large dog crate so i can work with her when she gets home. I do not think she is a true feral, i think she was housecat that was dumped.

So here's where I will take any advise -

My place is pretty small. There is no room where I can isolate Laureline from my other girls except to crate her. My other two girls were adult shelter adoptions (see my other posts). I want to try to socialize Laureline and make her part of the family, so any advice on how to do this will be most appreciated.

I am aware that what's best for Laureline may be giving her up for adoption, or even a TNR. I also don't want to ruin the nice world my two girls (Onyx and Jinxy) already have. I want to work with her but I have to admit I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to resocializing. The woman from Pawswatch will continue to work with me, but any advice would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for your time and input. ~ Chris

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for rescuing Laureline. She will be forever grateful for a warm bed. Her two kittens are safe and warm too. You did a fantastic job!

I think it will be just fine for her to be in the cage for awhile. She will need to recover from the spay. I would keep the cage covered with a light sheet for a few days so that she can recoop. I also would keep her away from your other two girls. Allow her time to adjust to inside living before trying to do any introductions.

Maybe you could get a Feliway plug in to help her calm down. Amazon has pretty decent prices on them.

After a few days in the crate, you might be able to move her to your bathroom or close her in your bedroom away from the other girls. Just be sure if you let her out that your home is cat proofed. You don't want her going under the bed or under/behind large furniture. Hiding will make socialization very very hard.

If the cage is large enough, she can stay there for awhile if needed. Using a cage to introduce cat can be done. Just take things slowly. Most of us rush the process and this ends up setting the cats back. Just know that it can take awhile. Some cats will adjust easily within a few weeks while others may take many months.

I have brought 2 ferals into my home. The first one took almost a year to adapt. He has been with me for almost 5 years now and is the sweetest boy. He still spooks easily, but he loves being inside. The second feral adapted easier. He was out and about in the house within 2-3 months.

On Dec. 26th, I brought my remaining 3 ferals into my house. Like you, we are having bitter cold and snow. Yet, I am moving in February and would never leave my 3 behind. I have them in a room of their own and they will adapt to a new home and my 3 other cats.

When the time is right for introductions, let us know. There are lots of great articles with tips and tricks and a video I can share. I don't want to overwhelm you now! Just work on socialization first. Here is an article with some great tips

Socializing Cats: How to Socialize a Very Shy or Fearful Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Laureline came back from the clinic with a clean bill of health. Besides being spayed she also had a bad tooth that needed extraction. Right now (Day 3) she is crated in my Living Room with a sheet covering 2/3 of the crate. There is a outlet inches away from the wall where I have a Feliway plugged in. I secured a shelf near the top of the cage so she has an elevated place to get to.

Problems - my apartment is small and both of my existing cats are very fearful of her. One is hiding under the bed and wont walk thru the Living Room. Laureline is not food motivated, she just stays haunched up, eyes wide. She won't move, poop or eat until late at night. The last two nights (while I'm asleep) she tears at the cage trying to escape. I have a plastic drop cloth under the cage, in the morning I can see she has clawed at the outside the cage and shredded the plastic. She pulls the covers off the cage. Now that I'm up and trying to clean up around her, she sits like a statue.

I want to help this cat, but not sure this is in my temperament. The happy home my two girls have has been disrupted.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely what is spooking them is her scent. She underwent anesthesia as well as a surgery. So she smells really bad to your other cats. Is there a room you could put her in and then close the door to keep your other cats out. She needs to be in a space all of her own. Even the bathroom if needed. You need to do your best to keep all of the cats separated at this point. Laureline needs to recover and the others need to give her this space.

Cats often don't do well when they are just mixed together. Introductions take time. Some cats learn to really like each other quickly while others can take a very long time. Patience is needed. She has been through so much.

Each time I have brought one of my ferals into the house, it has caused a bit of disruption. Yet, everyone learns to coexist.
Have you thought of trying some composure calming treats on everyone or composure liquid max. I used calming treats on my entire animal family when I bring a new cat into the house. You need to use it everyday and sometimes 2x a day. I prefer the liquid as it is easy to mix into wet food. The treats are on the hard and chewy side and some cats do not like them.
Someone just recommended this product to me
Vetoquinol Zylkene Behavior Support Capsules Small Dog & Cat Supplement, 75 mg

Please don't give up on her.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a room you can put her in? My two ferals could never stand being in a cage for more than an hour. I'm lucky that this big old country house has a garage, cellar, and several bedrooms that I could use.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, can you maybe pet her through the bars with something on a long handle, like a backscratcher? I used a long handled duster, but that wouldn't fit through the bars of your crate. It really helped bridge the distance between me and my boy feral. I could pet him with my hands after 3 days.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has not been long at all in a cats world, everything sounds normal so far. Your cats will get used to her scent in a month or so, Laureline will slowly adjust to being in the house, she is scared witless right now. Your two are bewildered right now, they have a stranger in their midst and need lots of reassurance and time to accept her. The worst is over, the trapping and the spaying, concentrate on making her feel safe now. Talk calmly to her, offer treats and leave them when you go, make sure she has a box or somewhere to hide and feel safe. I know you feel guilty for keeping her like this, but she is so much better off right now, and in time will adjust to her new life. Definitely keep everyone separated for at least a few months, mine took almost a year to accept each other but it DID happen, and so will yours. It WOULD be nicer to have a room she could call her own, maybe somehow you corner off a portion of your living room or somewhere to give her a little more room. Than eventually (not for a month or so) let her out and put your two in her space fro a while. A BIG dog crate or even a large cube with deer netting tacked on would work, there would just have to be some kind of gate, a cheap wooden screen door on a frame works well, I had one on my utility room for many months to keep everyone separated, I just put wood putty in the holes that were left. You could even put one on your bathroom door if it is big enough to house a small cat box and a hidey place. Good luck, please keep us updated on what is going on, These things just take lots of time, all the luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for caring for, and rescuing, Laureline and her kittens. She is a beauty. And her kittens, naturally, cutie pies.

I have no experience socializing ferals/strays, but wish you all the luck with Laureline. Please keep us updated on her progress. :catrub:

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a small 1 bedroom apt. Sometimes I feel it is too small already for my 2 domestic girls. I have NO place where I can put her that is not in the midsts of the other cats territory. I don't know that I can do this for the amount of time that will likely be required, but turning her back onto the streets wasn't really an option either.

If my living situation was different I would have her in a 'cat proofed' room while trying to I work with her. I've got the patience for the process, but the living situation itself is a set back and causing alot of strife.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a really big crate? It might work okay, since the bars will be like a gate when you try to introduce the cats. You could use a bathroom, but it would be hard to take a shower without her running out. I hope you can try the backscratcher petting, once they realize that you can touch them without hurting them, things speed up.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a med size dog crate, maybe 3ft by 4ft. Bathroom is not possible....very small. I wouldn't have room to sit on the toilet. I think at night I'm gonna take the sheet off from atop the cage. I've reached in a couple of time and gently stroked her with a feather wand. She tenses up and flinches when i do, but is relatively permissive about that. Small steps.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, I'm glad you're petting her with something. I think it will all work out. The cage will be just like a gate anyway.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chris, You are doing such a great thing! We have 12 totally indoor cats now, 8 of whom came from our yard. We've had TWO feral mamas with kittens, plus just took in a THIRD semiferal female who we've been feeding 2x a day for about 18 mo. Someone else had her TNR'd in June 2016, but she's been coming to our house for food so consistently that we have to assume she probably wasn't being fed elsewhere. The weather was so bitterly cold and storm was coming, so we finally had her trapped on 1/2/18 by a friend--so now she is in our spare bathroom. She is not thrilled but not miserable (eating well and using the box fine). You had said your bathroom is really small--ours is too (1950s ranch) but I feel like it beats a crate. We have a tall, sturdy scratching wood & sisal post/perch with a pad on top. The base of it will fit under the radiator and I can push it against the window sill.
I guess my point is to be encouraging about domesticating ferals. Our first mom (July 2013) had 4 kittens--we trapped everyone and brought them in. The kittens were 4 wks old, so we were able to easily socialize them. Mama Hanna took 2.5 years before my husband could pet her. I still can't touch her, no matter how nice/quiet/slow I am. But she loves her daddy and was a perfect angel at the vet. She plays like a kitten after years of not knowing what toys were for, and she is good with all the other cats. The vet had initially written her off as "totally feral"--but we were patient, kept her in, and she has NO interest in going back out.
Feral mama #2 showed up this June with 3 kittens and the Baby Daddy also keeping watch on the kits. Again we trapped all--this time the kittens were 8-10 weeks. Even Daddy got fixed! This mama kitty--maybe 18 mo old, warmed up to us pretty quickly. Can't pick her up but can pet her face/chin. A good friend has 2 of her kittens and we kept one. Baby Daddy is living at the rescue lady's house because we've seen a coyote 3x in our yard, so we couldn't take him back here.
I hope this long post has been encouraging--it can be a long road but with patience it will work out fine. Lauraline is lucky to have you!
Keep up the good work!

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please forgive me, I'm a total newbie to this. I just feel so broken-hearted for her. I'm afraid to do something wrong, so i'll be one here venting and asking advice alot (i'm guessing). I'm not going to give up on her, but I feel like an asshole for keeping her caged (though its my only option).
The woman who helped me trap her and her kittens forwarded me this pic today of one of her (adopted ) babies. She is trying to keep me inspired

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Chris--I hear you about feeling like a jerk for keeping her penned up. =) (I'm in the same boat with Aimee). You're a lovely person for helping her. She will get used to you and being indoors!
Keep the faith! =)

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just try to stay calm and upbeat yourself. Cats can pick up on our emotions and if you are stressed and worried, she will be too. Tell her she is safe and that you love her and that you are doing the very best for her. It might be different, but in the end it will be so worth it.

When I brought my first feral inside, it was so hard. I used to just cry. I thought I had ruined my resident kitty as he was so upset. I then realized that when I was so uptight and upset that the cats were too. I started them all on Composure liquid Max and started working on my own emotions. It made such a difference. Or course there were difficult days, but usually the next day was better.

Also when working with ferals/strays it is often best to not set lofty goals. There is often a one step forward, two steps back progress. I used to set goasl (such as I will pet him in 2 weeks). THen in 2 weeks, when the progress was so minimal, I felt defeated. I decided to celebrate the small steps along the way. At the end of each day I looked for at least one positive to focus on. Then when I least expected it, progress went faster and easier.

Hang in there. We are all here to help.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dolly, the yellow tabby gave our little spunky such grief for several months. He would growl, chase her and she gave the same back to him. We brought Dolly in as a very small kitten. Frankly none of the others liked her much either. It took about 6 months but after that “ peace and harmony” well most of the time.
Initially she even bit me clear through my finger nail. Now she purrs all the time and crawls up on my chest to have her chin scratched.
So there is hope.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just sharing my set up for Laureline (advise always welcome). Changes to come - I ordered food bowls that hang from the cage walls, and also a corner litter box. She's eating, drinking and using the Litter box.

I took the cover off last night and she was calmer. The likes the shelf bed I made for her and during the day she prefers staying up there....should I keep the cover on during the day? It creates a 'hiding' spot for her, but since i can't keep her isolated from my other girls this may be a good thing (thoughts?)

Behavioral - i tried petting her with the feather wand yesterday, but she hissed and spit at me. So I stopped doing that, maybe I'm rushing the interaction. All I did after that was lay on the floor and quietly read to her. While changing litter/food this morning her eyes were dilated and back fur risen so I did so gingerly. My girls avoid her pretty much unless I'm near the cage. Onyx comes and lays next to me while I read. Onyx does not seem to be bothered by her (jealous?). I think my girls' presence is a set back for Laureline, but it is unavoidable.