I Finally Caught Her!!! (i Could Use Some Advice Now Though)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does Laureline react to your other cats? Maybe she wants a buddy. I was surprised how much my feral boy loves other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Laureline doesn't like anybody right now (kinda like me before coffee). Eyes wide, statue pose. She does blink a little when I'm reading to her. I did sit outside daily and talk to her for months while she ate. Even closed her eyes a few times.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think just the fact that you can reach in and clean the litter box and put food in while working in such a small space that close to her... all she does is hiss. Patience is the key and I consider what you’ve done so far real progress. Try to keep in mind where she’s come from to where you are now.
Read to her more mom and soft music, no sudden moves, etc.

Personally I think it’s going great!

Daily progress reports please!

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After a few days of reading to her I decided today was the day I try to start interactions with her. I got a long stick with a flat knife taped securely to it. I placed a little tuna on the end and slowly edged it into her cage. Ears forward, whiskers forward. I let her smell it for about 5 seconds then edge it a little closer. I when I got too close she hissed and swatted it away, jumped back. I tried again, this time leaving the tuna stick further away to see if she'd approach. She aggressively came forward and attacked/swatted the stick away. If that was my result, how soon do I try this again?

Her paperwork from the Clinic stated they thought she was 2.5 years old. I am wondering if she was unfixed for this long if she may actually be a true feral and not an abandoned house cat.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds just like my feral Maggie. Maybe try a spoon with a long handle, instead of a knife. I don't think I'd want a knife coming at me either. :)

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a butter knife. My rationale was that it was smaller in size than a spoon and therefore less threatening. Nobody is gonna get cut or hurt by it (unless you are an English Muffin maybe).

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing good so far, and so is Laureline. Thank you for rescuing her from the cold winter.

She was just spayed and had a tooth pulled 2 days ago right? That might make even the calmest of cats act grumpy and hissy for a few days.

Her personality sounds more frightened and anxious than aggressive, so I think she'll come around with time.

I adopted a 4 month feral last year in February. She was quick to socialize in my bathroom over 9 days, then given access to the bedroom as well until I made pet introductions. She was easy due to her age and her personality.

The second "backyard" feral I took in last year was older. She had a litter of kittens 4 days after I trapped her and took her for TNR. The shelter did recommend releasing her back outside after assessing her for 8 weeks while she nursed and then was spayed. I worked with her in the backyard all summer and fall. Now she comes inside when she feels like it. It took months with her to gain her trust so that I could pet her and pick her up. She is requiring more time and patience, but is coming around at her own pace.

You're doing good! Laureline will probably make a little progress the next few days simply from the stress of the vet visit and surgery wearing off.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and thank you for helping laureline and her babies. The picture sent to you of her adopted kitten you also helped should inspire you - the kitten looked so content and happy - can you imagine if you didn’t help ? Laureline will settle in fine - if she was a Feral all that time it will be a while . Please keep at it - we are behind you ! I have a small one bedroom flat however I make use of vertical spaces - I have a bed hanging from the radiator ; a bed up on a scratch post and have extended all the window sills . Im going to have some shelves put up on the walls too . What I’m saying is once all has calmed down if you make use of all these spaces there is plenty of room ! X

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl Onyx (my icon pic) was an adult shelter cat. It took her two weeks to come out from under the couch and say hi. So i imagine that this process with Laureline will take considerably longer. I've never attempted something like before, so I am wondering how to make interactions with a cat that is not food motivated a positive one.

Because she is caged so I also feed her less since she is movement restricted? And will this help to increase food motivation?

The frustrating part is seeing strays that are friendly and want affection versus the 'don't come near me' kind of cat.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that I would feed her less. Hopefully she won't need to be in the cage so long that you would have to worry about weight gain. I fed both ferals all they wanted to eat (of course, that made total sense with Farrell since she was a growing kitten).

Feral cats often have food insecurity if they were outdoors hunting and were uncertain whether they would be guaranteed a next meal before getting hungry. I think this is true even if humans are leaving food out for the colony. Misfit, the wild one, has gained a pound, so now I have her on set calories. But she now trusts that I will be providing for her versus her feeling like "catch as catch can". Food=love and trust.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe she is not motivated by tuna. You might try some chicken baby food or some other blends. Maybe Temptations treats, they are kind of like “kitty crack” but work for most of my finicky eaters. Just a thought.
It will take time for the association with the recent vet trip to fade.

Please don’t give up. I know it’s easy for me to say not having shared your frustration with her not coming around. But we are there for support and we do care.

Keep the faith!

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm impressed with all that you've accomplished. She looks cozy! I'm going to be doing the same thing too once I trap a semi/feral 11 year old spayed female. My crate is similar to yours. I have a trap set up right now. How did you get your cat from the trap into the cage without her getting out? I set up my cage in the garage as I can not bring her into the house.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm impressed with all that you've accomplished. She looks cozy! I'm going to be doing the same thing too once I trap a semi/feral 11 year old spayed female. My crate is similar to yours. I have a trap set up right now. How did you get your cat from the trap into the cage without her getting out? I set up my cage in the garage as I can not bring her into the house.
I had a dropper trap outside and got her caught in that. The put a humane trap right against the slider door (with a towel over the top. The transfer was easy actually.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New day, new problem. Laureline still wont take anything from me. She wont take a snack off the stick, scared or angry I can't tell. She lets me change her litter and feed her (statue pose, eyes dilated), but interaction ZERO. One of my two domestics (Onyx) has started so show signs of possible Distemper. She is a little wheezy and with a milky eye. I called my vet and shes got an appt in a couple of hours. - this may be my own fault as I opted against the Distemper booster on her last appt. I did not anticipate bringing another cat into her world, ever. So scared for her right now.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How does Laureline react to your other cats? Maybe she wants a buddy. I was surprised how much my feral boy loves other cats.
My two (formerly) feral moms are pretty chummy with the residents too. Especially the young one, Marlee, who is maybe 2. She's a goofball. Chases everyone (just playing), tackles her daughter, and swats her feline and human pals in order to get attention or to shoo away from her bowl!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New day, new problem. Laureline still wont take anything from me. She wont take a snack off the stick, scared or angry I can't tell. She lets me change her litter and feed her (statue pose, eyes dilated), but interaction ZERO. One of my two domestics (Onyx) has started so show signs of possible Distemper. She is a little wheezy and with a milky eye. I called my vet and shes got an appt in a couple of hours. - this may be my own fault as I opted against the Distemper booster on her last appt. I did not anticipate bringing another cat into her world, ever. So scared for her right now.
Laureline mostly needs patience right now. She's probably just scared. She would likely charge at you if she were angry/aggressive.

Hopefully Onyx has something mild the vet can take of easily. Hope so! :crossfingers: :alright:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like my Walli, I will post a pic when I can
Hang in there! where in the same boat but different:D

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember this can take time and lots and lots of time. The first feral boy I brought into the house (estimated age 3) took a solid year to adjust. The second feral boy I brought inside(estimated age 2) took 3-4 months. Now I just brought 3 ferals inside ( ages 4-7). The last batch has been inside for 3 weeks. They are doing well, but it is a slow process. They are very different than when they lived outside.

At this point, I would not be worried about her taking food from you. As long as she is eating and using the litter box, she is ok. Instead just focus on spending time with her.

I used to bring into the room, plain cooked chicken. I would portion it into snack size baggies. Upon entering the room, I would shake the bag. I would then toss a few pieces near the kitty. No worries if he didn't eat it. I would then just sit in the room and talk quietly. No eye contact. Just sit and talk. After 10-15 minutes, I would leave. I would place a few pieces of the chicken around the room. After a week or so, the kitty learned to recognize the sound of the bag shaking and knowing it was something delicious. He started to look forward to the chicken.

If the chicken doesn't tempt him, try tuna or mackeral. Gerber stage 2 baby food ( small glass jar with blue label) in chicken or turkey is usually loved by all. You can just bring the jar into the room, tap a metal spoon against the jar and put some on a plate.

Keep moving forward. Its takes lots and lots of time and patience.