I Don't Know What To Do! - Updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
J Jessica923

I just saw the story you posted above. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time.

That's too much blood. :(
Thank you and I know. I don't want her to suffer and be in pain,but I have no choice right now. This is killing me. She refuses to eat now and she's trying to throw up again today but nothing but mucus comes out. I can't get her to take any water or Pedialyte either

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry about your situation! I wasn't saying it to scare you. I just don't want you to end up with 40 cats that will destroy your property and create a health hazard. Then they will come and take the cats away. I live in a very small town and they have a mobile TNR that will neuter/spay, vaccinate, and flea treat feral cats for $50. Are any of the cats feral?

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry about your situation! I wasn't saying it to scare you. I just don't want you to end up with 40 cats that will destroy your property and create a health hazard. Then they will come and take the cats away. I live in a very small town and they have a mobile TNR that will neuter/spay, vaccinate, and flea treat feral cats for $50. Are any of the cats feral?
I don't mean to sound dumb but what is feral

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feral means not friendly to people. A feral cat will hiss and run from people and will not allow people to touch them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a feral is basically a cat born outside, not friendly to humans, will bite and scratch

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are not feral, I understand your problem. If you've socialized the cats and they are now friendly, they usually consider that your pet cat and they won't help. They will often only help when the cat is still feral, living outdoors. Jessica, would you consider setting up a gofundme or youcaring page? I don't have much money either, but I would be willing to donate a little to help you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica923

I hate to say so, but it may be kindest to let someone pick up Roberta and have her euthanized. She seems to be suffering so.

She may have a fourth dead kitten inside, or even a torn uterus. She probably also has an infection.

She probably needs a c-section to save her life. :(

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feral means not friendly to people. A feral cat will hiss and run from people and will not allow people to touch them.
Oh ok. Well the cats I have aren't like that but the ones outside won t come near people

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the outside ones among the 8 you mentioned? Those would be cheaper to neuter because they sound feral.

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I brought in 3 actually throughout the winter the 5 I have I raised them from kittens. But no there are 12 out side and they all live behind my neighbor's house lol. And my other neighbor Jack helps feed them too so there's 3 of us feeding the outside cats as well

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But now my other black cats are sick as well and it's only the adult black cats. My other 2 adult cats aren't. I don't understand that

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness. So there's 20 cats total? And none of them are fixed? Can your neighbors help at all with the trapping and neutering/spaying? Instead of buying a bag of food every month, would one of them be willing to get a cat neutered instead?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J Jessica923

There is clearly an infectious virus going around. The symtoms suggest feline distemper, which is FPV - feline panleukopenia virus. The annual distemper shot protects against this.

It kills fairly quickly if not treated with antibiotics and fluids for the dehydration caused by the vomiting.

It is highly contagious.

This is sad that several cats now have it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, you must have more than 20 cats. You said there are 12 outside you are feeding, then you have 8 inside, and 3 of those just had litters. How many kittens are there? People think they are helping when they feed stray cats, but if they aren't fixing them, then they are just giving them a place to join together and have more unwanted babies and spread disease. Once it gets to 40 cats and becomes a health hazard to you and the cats, the ASPCA or Animal control will probably come take them. They don't have the funds for feral or sick cats, and they usually euthanize them. Are any of them bleeding from the mouth?

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness. So there's 20 cats total? And none of them are fixed? Can your neighbors help at all with the trapping and neutering/spaying? Instead of buying a bag of food every month, would one of them be willing to get a cat neutered instead?
No. The guy next door is 87 and enjoys having them there and he's usually gone through,the summer

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't know how much good this will do, but, for the future, here are some Illinois low-cost options (and one includes the Care Card that sarthur suggested.

LowCost Assistance

How are the cats?

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are not feral, I understand your problem. If you've socialized the cats and they are now friendly, they usually consider that your pet cat and they won't help. They will often only help when the cat is still feral, living outdoors. Jessica, would you consider setting up a gofundme or youcaring page? I don't have much money either, but I would be willing to donate a little to help you.
I would love to do something like that,to try and save her! How can I start something like that

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you click on Forums at the top of this page, then go to the Cat S.O.S. section you will see other people who have made requests for financial help for their cats. I'm not sure how exactly to set it up. You probably have to go to gofundme or youcaring and make an account.

Jessica923

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry everyone I had a really busy day yesterday and wasn't able to get on. But I have some great news! I woke up this morning and Robert was eating and drinking! Plus she went in and was trying to find and nurse her kittens. Then she came in my room where her sister Rose has kittens and she laid by them and was trying to nurse them and she put her arm over one kitten and pulled it to her and they fell asleep together! Robert seems to be making a miracle come back and I prayed so hard for this to happen!!!