I am going to get laughed at but I need advice, y’all!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya,I wouldn't to be stuck with tattoos when I'm 90 yrs old! Hope it works out for you!
I knew a lady who, after her husband died (in their 70s), got multiple tattoos and piercings, and dyed her hair purple. Her grandkids/greatgrands? sent letters addressed to "Purple Granny", lol.

At least your tattoos would be fresher in your 90s if you got them that late in life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, You guys are right. I have also told my mom that I was going to get my nose pierced. With her I flat out just said “I’m going to get my nose pierced.” She laughed and shook her head, and asked why, but didn’t protest. She even pointed out a stud we’ve seen at a store and asked if that’s the one I was going to get. My mom has always been more lenient. I think I’m going to bring it up the same way I did with my mom. If he asks why “well, cause I like them, and I’ve always wanted to get it.”

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he will get over it. Just like he got over my black nails when I stopped cleaning it off. The interior of my car is Jack skellington theme and I have bats hanging from my rear view mirror. I have given him a ride a couple of times but he never said anything. And he hates that kind of stuff.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you choose a tattoo that is deeply meaningful to you, you won't. Not ever. Nor will it bother you much when it sags and bags and fades, because you still know what it means. LOL, I have two of them, and no one but the artist myself, my ex husbands, and a handful of medical personnel have ever seen them, or ever will.
I agree with all of this. I have four tattoos and they all have meaning to me. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of them and I would never judge my DD (now 28) if she decided to get one or got a piercing.

I was 19 when I got my first tattoo. Mom saw it first and later that day I was up in my room. I heard Dad come THUNDERING up the stairs and the door to my room flew open. The second he was in my room he bellowed, "DO YOU HAVE A TATTOO?" I said yes. He answered, "Oh. Can I see it?" I showed it to him and he never really mentioned it again. My older brother got one not long after. I opened the door for him. :lol:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you choose a tattoo that is deeply meaningful to you, you won't. Not ever. Nor will it bother you much when it sags and bags and fades, because you still know what it means. LOL, I have two of them, and no one but the artist myself, my ex husbands, and a handful of medical personnel have ever seen them, or ever will.
I agree about something meaningful. If I ever did get any, I'm sure they would have to be meaningful and not just decorative.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came home from a 5 day music festival with a fake tattoo at 19 and the only one upset was my 17 year old stepsister. :lol: I guess it still looked real enough. I have 2 tiny tattoos I would get; both doodles my kids used to make when they were little. But I don’t know where I want them so I’m waiting. One of my friends had a stillbirth and getting a tattoo in her son’s honor was hugely helpful in her grieving.

I think part of us always wants our parents to either approve or at least not be critical of choices we make. Hopefully he will take it better now that you are older. I think sometimes the farther we get from being legally children the better they do at remembering we are not.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
A tattoo would definitely piss my dad off more than a pierce haha. I’ve actually thought about getting an Egyptian cat goddess tattooed on my arm. It’s very meaningful to me, especially now that I’m a mom. Never went through with it, but I have Her standing tall and proud on a little altar🖤

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister and I have been wanting tattoos for years but it took both of us having a falling out with our mom (who hates tattoos) to actually get them. I still only have one tattoo, but my sister has gotten 2 more. Anyway, my suggestion is to not tell him and if he says anything, just say, "okay," and then move on. If he continues to push the subject, ignore whatever he says. Basically, don't engage.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been browsing on and off for awhile but never logged on since I really had nothing to say...Until now.
First, I have no advice for you. I don't know the relationship with your father. I love mine, but we don't get along so I wouldn't even bother telling him. You and your dad may be different.

But more to why I logged in. I must know why you chose your user name. (yes, I do know who the person was- or at least the legend)

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been browsing on and off for awhile but never logged on since I really had nothing to say...Until now.
First, I have no advice for you. I don't know the relationship with your father. I love mine, but we don't get along so I wouldn't even bother telling him. You and your dad may be different.

But more to why I logged in. I must know why you chose your user name. (yes, I do know who the person was- or at least the legend)
I have a great relationship with my dad, but he’s just old fashioned. Hates tattoos, piercings, & anything “dark”. My piercing might piss him off 😬

About my UN: Omg it was a looooong time ago I don’t even remember why I chose it 😆 it’s cringe now 😂😂 I tried to change it but apparently once your pick your UN it’s sealed, so now I’m stuck with it. 😫

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my good friends is super close with her mom (a minister) and she always gives her a hard time when she gets a new tattoo. I used to call her “Mom2” because I was at their house so much. It’s become a running joke and I can hear her moms reaction perfectly in my mind. :lol: She gets over it. I think she’s secretly amused at this point.:lol: It definitely hasn’t hurt their relationship. Really it’s nice to see parents and adult kids modeling handling disagreements in a healthy, accepting way.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Update:
It has been done!
my parents went out on a 2 week vacation toCanada. I went and got it pierced the same day they flew out. I took a picture of it and sent it to my mom and then she showed my dad. According to my mom, he didn’t get mad but he did say I shouldn’t be spending my money on those things. I called him that same day (he already knew about it at this point) but he didn’t say anything nor did I mention it. And we even joked around and laughed.
They got home today. As I was pulling in, the first thing out of his mouth “What’s with that piercing?” I said “…. it’s my new look.” I even had the audacity to ask him if he like it 🤣 he of course said a stern “No.” He didn’t say much after that, but The look ok his face said it all!!! He was NOT happy to see me with it AT ALL. 😂

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol 😆 I'm glad you did it my parents were the same way after the initial shock they were fine. I'm completely tatted up and piercings.. with very conservative parents.. and now my momma wants to go get a tattoo with me lol. When I first got my nostril piercing I was so afraid my daddy would be disappointed (I'm a huge daddy's girl) kind of similar reaction as your dad lol then he came around to it. I slowly started getting more piercings and tattoos. I think the one that shocked my daddy the most were my nostril and septum piercings. He said why'd you have to go and ruin your pretty face.. you had a cute nose...
Later he said he liked It though 😄

Last edited:

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol 😆 I'm glad you did it my parents were the same way after the initial shock they were fine. I'm completely tatted up and piercings.. with very conservative parents.. and now my momma wants to go get a tattoo with me lol. When I first got my nostril piercing I was so afraid my daddy would be disappointed (I'm a huge daddy's girl) kind of similar reaction as your dad lol then he came around to it. I slowly started getting more piercings and tattoos. I think the one that shocked my daddy the most were my nostril and septum piercings. He said why'd you have to go and ruin your pretty face.. you had a cute nose...
Later he said he liked It though 😄
Yeah… I don’t think my dad for that matter will eventually find it nice or cute. My mom, on the other hand, said it looked nice. I knew my das was eventually going to react to it, and that’s just with the stud. I think he’s also going to say something once I change it out for a hoop 😬

but tbh, I like it and I feel more confident. I hate my nose, always did and I was always self conscious about it. I even thought that a piercing wouldn’t suit me because I thought my nose was ugly. But over time I’ve seen girls who had their noses the same shape as mine, & their piercings looked great. So for years I contemplated on getting it done till I finally decided I would. Now, I no longer feel insecure, at least not as much, and I’m even starting to think my nose really isn’t all that bad. I feel good and happy 😃