Hyperthyroidism and heart disease...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kabuto got over a bout of cat flu recently and tonight I found a bald spot on his eyebrow. It does not look injured or red even just like the eyebrow is missing hair he isn't even bothering with it. He might have even just scraped the fur off on a table or something idk. He does not have fleas or ticks. (i checked him throughly) is not bothering with it at all. I certainly wouldn't call it an emergancy.

It seems to have developed within the span of an hour or so. With it being the holidays I don't think its worth bothering the already swamped vet clinic with it. They are so backed up right now they had to backorder his pills. Its crazy right now. They are backed up into january even.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I havn't updated this in a while because things have been relitivly uneventful but my poor boy is really starting to show his age. I'm not taking as many pictures of him as I used to because I want to keep his dignity.

Though his body has aged, his spirit is strong and bright as ever. His eyes are bright and still full of life. I know his time will come eventualy but I still see Kabuto there. He still jumps up with me, he still watches the birds.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Things have been uneventful until around 1AM. Kabuto was watching me clean the litterbox and he collapsed. He howled that awwwwoooowwwoo meow -his destress cry- twice. I picked him up and he was heavy. I thought he was dieing actualy. But within 5 muinits he was back to normal again. He even jumped up on the back of the sofa.

I'm not exactly sure what happened but it was almost like a petit mal seizure. I will contact the vet when they open but he seems ok for now poor guy.

I did tell him it was ok if he had to leave me. Not sure if Ill get much sleep.

Nyquil zzzquil is not working it seems.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I honestly think Kabuto is at the point where if he was human I would have a DNR form for him. I really don't know how much longer I will have him.

As for follow up, not at this time just keep him comfortable at home.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was a bad day for Kabuto he didn't want to eat drink much or go to the bathroom he peed though once. I think he might be at the end of his life.... He did eat a tube of churu though that I offered him with eagerness and did his little trot afterwords. Otherwise he just wants to sleep on my bed or my gaming chair.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every so often you'll get a cat who doesn't like the chemicals that keep our tap water safe. Our vet suggested putting the water in a container and letting it sit over night to release the smell of the chemicals before putting the water in their bowls. It might work. Mine never seemed to care one way or the other, but one thing I've noticed is if there is something that a cat can care about that you haven't thought of, they will.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fountain for him thats ceramic he won't drink from a bowl anymore. Its filtered municipal water. I have a brita under the counter though Kabuto seems to prefer water from the bathroom in his fountain. Not sure why that is. Unless it has to do with the fact it is softened.

But thats not whats wrong here. Kabuto is sleeping all the time and just wants to be left alone for the most part. I am just respecting his wishes for now and trying to enjoy what time we have left togeather. No more doctors or ICU or anything like that for now. He is comfortable here and content. He can pass when it is time.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
He is curlled up on my gaming chair right now he looks so peaceful i'm just going to leave him there for now.

Our neighbour has had table saws running all morning and the poor guy couldn't sleep or get comfortable. This in addition to a hocky tournement this weekend making it pretty noisy and busy. I wish they made Beats anc head sets in cat sizes. I have a pair that work well for myself but they are way too big for Kabuto.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor boy can barly walk now i'm so sad... i'm considering taking him into the city to be put down. I know this sounds like a horribale thing to say but I mean it for his own good, I wish he would just pass already. I just don't know anymore.... sorry I'm ranting a bit.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My poor boy can barly walk now i'm so sad... i'm considering taking him into the city to be put down. I know this sounds like a horribale thing to say but I mean it for his own good,
It doesn't sound horrible at all especially if he's struggling. When we had our doubts whether to put our beloved dog to sleep a wise person told me, "better a day too soon than to suffer in pain." We'll be thinking of Kabuto and you. :grouphug:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It absolutely does not make you a horrible person. I understand your reservations about euthanasia within your belief system, as you have mentioned, but it is absolutely a humane option for a struggling cat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Certainly not horrible. He doesn't have the chance to improve so a decision on "when" to do so to relieve any pain or indignity is a kindness.
It comes down to you in the end, but talk it over with Kabuto and see if you get any sense from him as to which he would prefer for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.