How Will I Know If My Cat Is Pregnant?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, in case you didnt ask, with that many babies, she could have been impregnated more than once. And, not all babies may arrive at once - there could even be hours, even days in between. And, not trying to be a 'downer', be prepared that not all might survive the birth. I am sorry, I just want you to be prepared and not shocked if something should happen. I hope I am not saying anything you don't already know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thx so much for caring.

ive never raised a cat and never had a pregnant pet, ever.

because Leon is so young and small, 9months old and was 6lbs when she got pregnant... the vet said Leon is safer with more babies.

she said that the more babies she has will keep the kittens smaller in size in her tummy.

so far, Leon has had every stage of pregnancy flow smoothly, text book!

ive only had 1 cat enter the house thru the doggy door, and do what we thought was attacking Leon, so we closed up the doggy door.

yes, he came in 2 times, 2 days apart, so we realized the first time wasnt going to be "accidental".

we were told Leon was male when we got her at 6wks old.

after being attacked , and scratched up badly, we took her to vet, and the vet said
"Leon has a vagina"

we had an appt for what we thought would be neutering, but had to cancel when we realized Leon was pregnant.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also , the vet is surprised how big the babies are, for having so many,

but thinks Leon will give birth anyday this week, before they get much bigger.

i have their 911 phone number and im getting kitten formula and feeding nipples today as a precaution.

the vet said it would help, incase she gives birth in middle of night, and cant feed that many kittens fast enough, or she may not accept a kitten, etc...

this way, i wont stress as much, knowing i have every possible emergency covered.

worst case scenario, she said if Leon goes more than 2-3 hrs between kittens, i may need to bring her in.
but its great to know my vet will take her 24/7, and is only 2 miles down the road.

i assume i can get newborn kitten feeding supplies at a pet store?

i feel stupid, already screwed up with Leon not being a boy.

i dont wanna let her kittens down

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i asked if i should worry, if the dad is Leons father.

he is only stray cat around, and only cat who came in the house.

plus, when i saw him outside for first time a few months ago, he is a twin of Leon. same face shape and body shape.

except , he is huge! very intimidating but sweet and relaxed personality.

i hope no health problems arise if a dad gets it's kitten pregnant.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm excited at the color the babies will be.

I saw a video yesterday, a stray cat was taken in to a home pregnant

and she was solid Gray, and she had eight kittens ..

seven females were all the same color of tricolor and the one male was black and white.

the one difference, is Leons dad is solid black with out one white hair on his body.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as what color the babies can be, with a black and white mother and solid black father:
  • You can expect some of the kittens to be either black and white like Leon, or solid black like her father. It's quite possible that all of the kittens will be black or black and white.
Possible colors if the parents carry recessive color mutations:
  • If both parents carry dilute (blue), some kittens could be blue (gray), or blue and white.
  • If both parents carry colorpoint ("Siamese" points), some kittens could be sealpoint, or sealpoint and white. Pointed kittens are white at birth.
  • If both parents carry both dilute and colorpoint, some kittens could be bluepoint, or bluepoint and white.
  • You might also see longhaired kittens, if both parents carry the longhair gene.
  • Because of the inbreeding (Leon x Leon's dad) it is possible that you might see other recessive colors or traits pop up that are more uncommon.
What colors are not possible from these parents?
  • You won't see any red (orange / ginger), tortoiseshell, or calico kittens, since neither parent has red.
  • You won't see any tabby kittens, since both parents are solid (non-tabby).
  • You won't see any solid white (dominant white) kittens. If any kittens are born white, you can expect them to develop pointed coloring as they get older.

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you all so much. i know it won't be long. she has been in her box all day sleeping. shell be day 59, and vet said any day, so it's a waiting game now...

ugh

mmeyers9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as what color the babies can be, with a black and white mother and solid black father:
  • You can expect some of the kittens to be either black and white like Leon, or solid black like her father. It's quite possible that all of the kittens will be black or black and white.
Possible colors if the parents carry recessive color mutations:
  • If both parents carry dilute (blue), some kittens could be blue (gray), or blue and white.
  • If both parents carry colorpoint ("Siamese" points), some kittens could be sealpoint, or sealpoint and white. Pointed kittens are white at birth.
  • If both parents carry both dilute and colorpoint, some kittens could be bluepoint, or bluepoint and white.
  • You might also see longhaired kittens, if both parents carry the longhair gene.
  • Because of the inbreeding (Leon x Leon's dad) it is possible that you might see other recessive colors or traits pop up that are more uncommon.
What colors are not possible from these parents?
  • You won't see any red (orange / ginger), tortoiseshell, or calico kittens, since neither parent has red.
  • You won't see any tabby kittens, since both parents are solid (non-tabby).
  • You won't see any solid white (dominant white) kittens. If any kittens are born white, you can expect them to develop pointed coloring as they get older.
that is so amazing how it works.
and yes, they are both midnight black with no striping, and have very short fur.