How to know when to clip nails

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you know when it's time to clip nails? My indoor cat has a scratching post that he use religiously. Is it necessary to trim them?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it's necessary to trim the claws every now and then. Sharp claws can scratch and injure people (sometimes badly) and sometimes cats get long sharp claws stuck in soft things like blankets and even in the scratching post.

Here's a TCS article about trimming claws:

Most cats need their claws trimmed every few weeks. Just check and if the claws are starting to look like this, it's time to trim. Avoid cutting into the quick. That will bleed and be painful. You can stop bleeding with styptic powder or a bit of cornstarch or rub a bar of unscented soap over the end.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Opinions vary. It's undisputably necessary if they don't take care of it themselves well enough to prevent the nail growing into the paw pad, causing possible infections.

However, I'd say it's advisable to do it for a few reasons:
- they are less likely to (even inadvertently) injure you, other pets, etc.
- they are less likely to get stuck on blankets, cat tree, the couch..
- they are less likely to cause you pain or discomfort if they are into making biscuits on you
- you are able to get them into the habit slowly before it becomes an urgent problem and they might be less accepting of it down the line.

I trim probably every two to three weeks. When I can feel the nails getting sharp when digging into me during biscuit time, that means it's clipping time :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's good that you have a scratching post. However, that is not going to keep the claws worn down. It's actually the opposite. Scratching helps removed the outer sheath of the claw and makes it sharper. Therefore, trimming is necessary. The frequency depends on the cat and how fast the claws grow. I have some who need trimming only every 3-4 weeks and some who need it about every 10 days.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it depends purely on personal preference and the cat in front of you. Cats were given sharp claws for a reason. It allows them to be excellent climbers, defend themselves and of course hunt successfully. I desensitize all of my cats to having their feet handled and get them used to being restrained from an early age so if it were necessary for me to clip I can.

However, my cats also use their scratching post religiously, and they have supervised time outdoors to climb large trees, which they do nearly every day. This way their claws don't become overly long and it would endanger them if I blunted their claws. I care little about how sharp they are as the front ones are retractable and the occasional accidental scratch doesn't bother me, I did decide to have cats after all.

When my cats become elderly and less active, then I may start to trim the back claws as it is harder for these to wear down and they don't retract, which means if they get too long they can impair movement and cause discomfort. I have never had to trim front claws though and I choose not to.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell when the nails are getting long by the way they feel on my arms and hands when the cats extend them. Generally, it works out the same as the two to three weeks others use as a guide. As the sheath wears away or the cat picks it off, the nail becomes narrower and sharper. I think that's what I feel.

Handling the cats' feet from the beginning (as much as you can do, anyway) definitely helps when it comes to nail trimming. They won't freak out if they're used to being handled there. Mine deal pretty well with nail sessions, although they do sometimes fuss a bit. A treat afterward does help reinforce that the trimming isn't all that bad. That's about as important as the trimming itself, I think.

If kitty won't let you trim the nails all at once, just do whatever you she will allow. Even if it's only one nail, You can trim them all over a week or so. It's also easier to trim the nails when the cat is sleepy, say, in the evening after the final meal for the day.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she breaks the skin (mine) then it's clip time. I have a really nasty scratch on my shoulder from a nail I missed.