How to keep urine balls from sticking to pan?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started putting a layer of World Best Cat Little on the bottom, then I finish filling it up with Sweatscoop. I found that when I just used the sweatscoop, the urine balls would stick like crazy and it was a real mess. I haven't had that problem since starting with the WBCL.

puffypersians

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The best thing to do, and we do this at our cattery, is to put litter box liners in the cat box. The best kinds are the ones with drawstrings at the top because they can't slip off of the box.

Hope this helps!

Puffy Persian Kittens

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still amazed that anyone can use litter liners without getting a shredded mess, except of course with declaws.

How on earth is that possible?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I'm still amazed that anyone can use litter liners without getting a shredded mess, except of course with declaws.

How on earth is that possible?
also, they wouldn't work w/auto boxes...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I started putting a layer of World Best Cat Little on the bottom, then I finish filling it up with Sweatscoop. I found that when I just used the sweatscoop, the urine balls would stick like crazy and it was a real mess. I haven't had that problem since starting with the WBCL.
Yeah, urine balls sticking really hasn't been a problem with WBCL.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

Woo! I have experience with this! When my Persian urinates, he urinates -alot- at once! I do not use liners anymore because they always got torn and nasty, so I only use a blank pan with a lot of very fine scoopable and a little coarse. I use Fresh Step, and I make sure it's 3 inches at least. I also recently figured out that using a plastic poop scoop was making everything 10x harder than needed to be. I purchased a 15 dollar metal scoop at PetCo and wow -- it made it so much easier. Even the urine that gets stuck to the side and in the corners. Also, if you scrap some of the dry litter over the wet that's there, it helps bring it up. The urine comes out absolutely easy and cleaning their pans, dare I say it, is almost a joy now. This after 10 years of using a poor plastic scooper!
I had to use pellets and the newspaper after his surgery for awhile, and I couldn't stand it. He was stepping in it and it was going everywhere. I prefer the finest clay I can get and wipe up the dust, vacuum and keep them out for just a few minutes until the dust settles. Other than it tracking (which it's in it's own room no one uses) I am satisfied. Metal scoops rawk!
Well that is good to know about the scooper. I saw it at the store, but choked on the price, mostly because.....I was wondering if it would make a difference. Okay question answered.
K.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like to pee in the corners of the box, so I've had the same problem. I didn't like Pam because I didn't want a food product in the litter box (I don't want to attract bugs, and the cats would lick it).

Stink-Free Instantly Litter Box Spray Powder Deodorizer is the best thing I've found to prevent sticking. It's a little hard to find, unfortunately - Petsmart used to carry it in their stores but I can't find it there now, though they still carry it on their web site. It can also be found on other sites:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...76&pcatid=1776
http://www.stinkfreedirect.com/litter-spray-deodorizer/
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...d_id=416&Page=

When you're cleaning the box and a clump is at the edge, it can help to tilt the box so the litter falls away from the clump, then hit the outside of the box so the clump falls away from the side neatly (or breaks loose from the bottom), then scoop it up - that prevents the scooper from breaking it up.

It also helps to spot respray the box as needed where the coating gets scraped away. The directions also say you can spray the litter itself with the spray, but I've never done that because I'm afraid it might affect the clumpability of the litter or deter the cats with too much fragrance.

I've used the spray successfully with clay clumping litter and with Fresh Results litter (a corncob based clumping litter). I've never tried World's Best, but the spray would probably work the same with it.

Hope this helps!

u2rocks100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Excellent Points. 

I live in Canada and we can buy litter here called EuroLitter.

It is absolutely fantastic.

No odors escape and the product can be purchased either with a baby powder fragrance or fragrance-free.

Also, compared to all the other litters I have used, this clumps extremely well and sticking is at a minimum..

Good luck Cat Lovers!

blondebkgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5 indoor cats and it seems as though brand new/fresh litter prevents sticking.  I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract also and can go through a 40-pound bag before it starts sticking and the litter has to be tossed and the litter box washed.  I hate throwing out litter so I wait until it starts sticking to the bottom or sides to toss it and start fresh again.  So basically after the litter has been used so many times it looses its ability to hold the moisture.

paulc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​More bothersome than sticking to the pan, is  the fact that it sticks to the "scooper" when you try to scrape it off. Cleaning the slotted scooper is a lot harder than scraping the smooth litter pan. I'm going to try spraying the scooper, rather than the pan. I hope it works.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I have always had the sticking problems, until I got new litter boxes.  I bought one at Petco and loved it so much I went back to buy another and they didn't have another!  I found it on Amazon though, it's a Nature's Miracle Advanced hooded extra large box.  It's nonstick.  I have two of them and almost never have the sticky issues, but I have a gigantic super-size box in the laundry room that they do somehow manage to get them stuck to the sides.  I've learned to scoop, flip litter over the wet spots, go scoop the other two, and by the time I come back it has dried it up and I can scoop it all out.

My old guy pees like a horse, and he pees in the same spot every time he goes.  By the time I get home from work, there is a clump the size of Texas in there.  I have to break it apart with the scoop to get it to fit in the Litter Genie.  But I never have an issue with it going to the bottom, like CC12 said, I keep a LOT of litter in the pan making it very deep.  I have one that's a digger (like a backhoe too!!), the other just hops in, pees, hops out.  He could care less.  He makes the Texas-sized clumps during the day, but at least they just "float" on the top of the litter.

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use this in my box and on my sifter... works like a champ..on my automatic i use it on the arm as well.. 

RUST-OLEUM[emoji]174[/emoji] NEVERWET[emoji]174[/emoji]

Liquid Repelling Treatment

P J

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use whatever Costco has on sale. A metal grill scraper from the dollar store takes whatever is stuck right up. My long haired Maine Coon get too messy with deep litter and he piles it up in a corner.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use whatever Costco has on sale. A metal grill scraper from the dollar store takes whatever is stuck right up. My long haired Maine Coon get too messy with deep litter and he piles it up in a corner.
Kabby is short hair and does the exact same thing. Then he steps in it and tracks piss and litter all over the furniture.

As for cleaning the clumps I use litter liners

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Woo! I have experience with this! When my Persian urinates, he urinates -alot- at once! I do not use liners anymore because they always got torn and nasty, so I only use a blank pan with a lot of very fine scoopable and a little coarse. I use Fresh Step, and I make sure it's 3 inches at least. I also recently figured out that using a plastic poop scoop was making everything 10x harder than needed to be. I purchased a 15 dollar metal scoop at PetCo and wow -- it made it so much easier. Even the urine that gets stuck to the side and in the corners. Also, if you scrap some of the dry litter over the wet that's there, it helps bring it up. The urine comes out absolutely easy and cleaning their pans, dare I say it, is almost a joy now. This after 10 years of using a poor plastic scooper!
I had to use pellets and the newspaper after his surgery for awhile, and I couldn't stand it. He was stepping in it and it was going everywhere. I prefer the finest clay I can get and wipe up the dust, vacuum and keep them out for just a few minutes until the dust settles. Other than it tracking (which it's in it's own room no one uses) I am satisfied. Metal scoops rawk!
I bought DuraScoop. Even better than the scoop at Petco. It digs to the very bottom. Also use genie wipes. Petco litter does not stick and scoops good and is cheap but is very dusty

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Researched and found an interesting solution I haven't tried- turtle wax. I will need to study it more:

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably wouldn't use that near my cats. Turtle wax is a product for cleaning cars car cleaning products are known to kill grass and pollute water supplies I'd be iffy about using that.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Lining the litterbox with a puppy pad works great. The pad absorbs moisture and clumps don't stick to it. The pad is thick enough so that the cat can't scratch through it like they can through a plastic liner and the litter box itself almost never needs washing. I buy extra large ones, 14 cost $4.50 and I replace the liner weekly.