How to keep urine balls from sticking to pan?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finally given up hope that Jeta is going to start pooping in the Feline Pine (pellets) box instead of on the floor next to it. So, I'm looking at scoopable litters. I've decided to try World's Best first since lots of folks here seem to like it.

My biggest objection to scoopable litters has always been how really icky it is to have to scape a urine ball off of the bottom or side of the box. One suggestion I've heard is to keep the litter deep enough so that the urine ball is always suspended, so to speak. But it doesn't matter how deep the litter is, my guys are going to dig to the bottom and pee on it. I've also seen the suggestion to spray the box with Pam before adding the litter. I tried this once and it worked great for the first day or so but after that the non-stick property seemed to wear off. But this test was with a litter other than World's Best.

I'm using the Pam method with World's Best and the non-stick property seems to be lasting better but it's only been a couple of days.

So, I guess my question is, is there a "best" way to prevent urine balls from sticking to the bottom or side of the box?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a couple deep diggers of my own and yes it is very irritating when it gets stuck to the bottom
I've found that as long as I have at least 6 inches if litter, I use the xtra-large hooded boxes, there is no sticking. Other than that I really don't know what could work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I have a couple deep diggers of my own and yes it is very irritating when it gets stuck to the bottom
I've found that as long as I have at least 6 inches if litter, I use the xtra-large hooded boxes, there is no sticking. Other than that I really don't know what could work
6 inches! That's a heck of a lot of litter!

I've tried keeping the litter deep but not that deep. Maybe I'll try keeping the litter deep er.

Thanks for the suggestion!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i read somewhere on the forums that spraying the pan w/non-stick cooking spray before filling can be helpful.
i recently bought 3 new boxes. didn't remember the advice in time for the 1st 2, but i did spray the 3rd. i think it does help - the 'stuck-on' clumps are far easier to remove in that one!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i read somewhere on the forums that spraying the pan w/non-stick cooking spray before filling can be helpful.
i recently bought 3 new boxes. didn't remember the advice in time for the 1st 2, but i did spray the 3rd. i think it does help - the 'stuck-on' clumps are far easier to remove in that one!
Yeah, the "Pam" I refer to in my first post is a non-stick cooking spray. It does seem to be working well.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah, 6 inches is a lot, but I swear the moment I get lower than that I get stickers
One of my cats has backhoes for paws

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I just got an ultra deep litter box and I use Dr Elsy's Cat Attract. It is heavy and I put about 6 inches or so in the box. My boys have given up it seems. No more sticky bottoms. When you have less stick you can rotate the box and do in between cleans better without having to dump the litter as often.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Yes. I just got an ultra deep litter box and I use Dr Elsy's Cat Attract. It is heavy and I put about 6 inches or so in the box. My boys have given up it seems. No more sticky bottoms. When you have less stick you can rotate the box and do in between cleans better without having to dump the litter as often.
I've been using World's Best for a little over a week now and the urine balls don't stick to the bottom even without spraying the bottom with Pam. I'm pretty sure it was Cat Attract that gave me such a bad impression of scoopable litters. The urine balls stuck to the pan like glue! Having to scrap them off was disgusting.

Odor control isn't as good as with Feline Pine and the tracking is much worst but I'm so happy about the urine balls not sticking I'll probably keep using it. The pans are in a closet in my extra bedroom anyway so the odor and tracking aren't too much of a problem. Someone in these forums says they mix a bit of Feline Pine scoopable in with the WBCL for odor control. I might try that.

Why is it that when discussing the pros and cons of different litters no one ever says anything about the urine ball sticking problem? Is it not really a problem with most litters or am I especially sensitive about it???

Thanks again to all for the commets!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad WBCL is working so well for you!

Personally, sticking urine balls never bothered me, although they never really stuck all that badly. For one thing, my cats have always liked urinating on a mound and then mounding it up further, instead of digging a trench, urinating, and covering. So urine balls usually stuck more to the sides than to the bottom. Even on the bottom, though, they were never that much work for me to scoop up.

But then, scooping litter has never bothered me. I kind of enjoy it. I'd still be using plain old clumping clay litter if I wasn't worried about Artemis's asthma.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the last poster. The clumps sometimes stick but just a gentle nudge with the scooper loosens them off cleanly so it's no big issue for me. Now if they fell apart when I tried to loosen them, then it would be an issue for me.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a few cats who like to pee on the sides, but as long as it's had time to harden (don't scoop it the minute they get done peeing or it will crumble), you can usually scoop it up just fine.

ripw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 weeks ago I began using 2 products that have eliminated litter sticking to the sides of the box and litter box odor.

Smart Scoop No-Stick Litter Box Spray took care of the sticky litter; Arm & Hammer Deoderizing Absorbent Liners got rid of the odor.

What's more, I switched from Arm & Hammer Clumping Litter to Companion (Giant Stores generic brand) Clumping Litter to cut costs ($4.00/30lb. box). I use the recommended 1 inch of litter, combined with the before mentioned products, and my daily litter box maintenance has become hassle free.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use an automatic litter box that won't work if the urine is caked on the bottom. I found that the only little I can use in that box is Fresh Step. I don't why but it doesn't stick like other litters. And with the automatic litter box the litter can only be a few inches deep.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I swear by PAM cooking spray. It makes it so much easier to scoop. I recently bought some new litterboxes from Menard's (home improvement store in the Midwest) that are wonderful! They are large, and have rounded ends (two less corners makes for easier scooping), and best of all, they are less than $5 each. The were back by the drywall joint stuff, plaster, and concrete mixes. They are marketed as a utility tub and they work great for cat litterboxes, too!

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Fresh Step scoopable and often have urine balls stuck to the bottom of the pan.

My solution is to actually only scoop every other day. This gives the urine balls time to dry and they can be easily scraped off the bottom. If I try to scoop them when they are still wet, it is really gross!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

My solution is to actually only scoop every other day. This gives the urine balls time to dry and they can be easily scraped off the bottom. If I try to scoop them when they are still wet, it is really gross!
Not a good approach at all. It only takes a short amount of time (I don't know....half an hour, maybe?) for urine balls to fully clump and be easily scoopable. You wouldn't like it if someone forced you to only flush your toilet every other day, and you don't even have to step in your waste. Why give your cats the incentive to "think outside the box"?

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Woo! I have experience with this! When my Persian urinates, he urinates -alot- at once! I do not use liners anymore because they always got torn and nasty, so I only use a blank pan with a lot of very fine scoopable and a little coarse. I use Fresh Step, and I make sure it's 3 inches at least. I also recently figured out that using a plastic poop scoop was making everything 10x harder than needed to be. I purchased a 15 dollar metal scoop at PetCo and wow -- it made it so much easier. Even the urine that gets stuck to the side and in the corners. Also, if you scrap some of the dry litter over the wet that's there, it helps bring it up. The urine comes out absolutely easy and cleaning their pans, dare I say it, is almost a joy now. This after 10 years of using a poor plastic scooper!
I had to use pellets and the newspaper after his surgery for awhile, and I couldn't stand it. He was stepping in it and it was going everywhere. I prefer the finest clay I can get and wipe up the dust, vacuum and keep them out for just a few minutes until the dust settles. Other than it tracking (which it's in it's own room no one uses) I am satisfied. Metal scoops rawk!

indys mamma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use wood based cat litter for Indy, almost completely odorless and goes on the compost heap (with a special spray to help it break down quickly) and it has never seems to stick to the tray