How to get rescued cat terrified of being picked up seen by vet

DeenaHiggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think some people get in denial. Her son gave her the plant and she just didn’t want to believe it was the cause. It’s very frustrating so that’s why I just moved it outside myself. We’ve started taking pictures of the poo then show her a chart of what healthy poo should look like. That seems to be getting through to her. That’s why I think if a vet talks to her about what is best for Vera she might listen. The situation is maddening. But we are determined to intervene for Vera asap - getting her a Vet visit one way or another is first step.
thanks for helping Vera, I hope you get to keep her

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how she does with pills or liquid meds, but you could also ask the vet to prescribe her some Gabapentin. I've had more luck with the pills than the liquid, but it can be a heavy hitter to some cats. I have to give this to my cats 2 prior to their vet visits to get them in the carrier and also if the vet has to draw blood. I also use a carrier that has an opening at the top. I put the carrier out a day or two in advance where i know they will be in close proximity and leave whatever door I'm going to put them through open (top or front, but it is always the top for me). I give them the Gaba 2 hours prior to me needing to leave the house and then scoop them up. If I think they are going to be difficult, I will put one hand around the front legs and one hand around the back and that's how I'm able to get them in. Hopefully any of this information will help!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We leave the carrier out all the time. A folded towel or cushion inside for a bed, favored toys, though not most favorite as that will be pulled out and taken elsewhere, and cover with a bath towel to make a nice cave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how she does with pills or liquid meds, but you could also ask the vet to prescribe her some Gabapentin. I've had more luck with the pills than the liquid, but it can be a heavy hitter to some cats. I have to give this to my cats 2 prior to their vet visits to get them in the carrier and also if the vet has to draw blood. I also use a carrier that has an opening at the top. I put the carrier out a day or two in advance where i know they will be in close proximity and leave whatever door I'm going to put them through open (top or front, but it is always the top for me). I give them the Gaba 2 hours prior to me needing to leave the house and then scoop them up. If I think they are going to be difficult, I will put one hand around the front legs and one hand around the back and that's how I'm able to get them in. Hopefully any of this information will help!
I appreciate your reply. We will definitely try those hand positions. Sadly she has a big phobia about food and anything out of the norm taste or smell-wise will usually stop her from eating. But I did find a gravy she will eat so I’ll try to hide some meds in that. She has had some Gaba prescribed but haven’t been able to get her to eat it. Good to get your feedback on that. Thanks again.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your reply. We will definitely try those hand positions. Sadly she has a big phobia about food and anything out of the norm taste or smell-wise will usually stop her from eating. But I did find a gravy she will eat so I’ll try to hide some meds in that. She has had some Gaba prescribed but haven’t been able to get her to eat it. Good to get your feedback on that. Thanks again.
Gabapentin is pretty bitter, so you may not be able to convince the cat to eat it mixed in a treat. Maybe if it is a capsule, you can hide it in a pill pocket? Good luck!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 'rescue' cat who is very, very wary--and won't be picked up. She's been with me for 6 years now (she's 9), and I've been able to get her to the vet with several different approaches.

Initially, we had home visits, but, as you know, the cat still has to be confined. Early on, a vet prescribed gabapentin, and we worked out a dosage that would get her 'calm'--I give it to her the night before and then the next morning. I try to get my vet appointments between 10 and 11 am because that's the optimum time for handling her.

I always have the carrier out--it's the top of a kitty stroller--and I regularly feed her treats in the carrier. But if the gabapentin makes her too sleepy, she won't come for treats. I that case, I know I have one try to pick her up and get her into the carrier. Naturally, I'm always anxious about this, and, sadly, she can read my moods. If I know I'll need to pick her up, I bring the carrier as close to where she is but out of her sight. I put it 'end up' so that I can drop her in quickly. I don't bother with a towel because that just complicates things for me. I just make sure to get my arms around her back legs and front legs and pick her up as quickly as possible before she can react. That has worked.

This last vet visit, I went into the kitchen (where the carrier is) about 9:30 am. She will typically follow me in if she's not too zonked by the gabapentin. She came in; I gave her treats in the carrier, and the quickly shut her in.

As for the taste of the gabapentin, my girl is very wary of anything in her food. Initially I had pills and used pill pockets, which she loved. But she may have gotten a taste of the gabapentin because after a couple of years, she rejected all pill pockets. I have capsules now that I break open. I buy a tuna that's packed in its own juices (not water) and has a strong flavor. She loves it, and it totally masks the taste of the gabapentin. My vet told me that the opened capsules are better than the gabapentin liquid because the liquid has a much more unpleasant taste.

I have aways said that Eisenhower had less trouble planning the invasion of Normandy than I have in getting my girl to the vet. The allusion tells you that I'm not young. I'm 82--I also live alone and have mobility issues, so if I can manage, anyone can.

Good luck.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Vanda’s Mom Vanda’s Mom
I was wondering how Vera is,had her constipation issues lessened.... No wonder her system is messed up since she had that Lily as part of her steady diet-I was thinking about wheat grass,perhaps something as simple as her nibbling on a safe plant will add the fiber she needs .....

She was supplementing her own diet with fiber but unfortunately it was a toxic plant- how about giving her a safe plant- catnip and wheat grass or even what they call " cat grass"?

Oh and I 100% agree with A Alldara about the benefits of her living with 2 cat mates.....I believe after proper introductions and YOU Vera would feel like she went to Heaven

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Vanda’s Mom Vanda’s Mom
I was wondering how Vera is,had her constipation issues lessened.... No wonder her system is messed up since she had that Lily as part of her steady diet-I was thinking about wheat grass,perhaps something as simple as her nibbling on a safe plant will add the fiber she needs .....

She was supplementing her own diet with fiber but unfortunately it was a toxic plant- how about giving her a safe plant- catnip and wheat grass or even what they call " cat grass"?

Oh and I 100% agree with A Alldara about the benefits of her living with 2 cat mates.....I believe after proper introductions and YOU Vera would feel like she went to Heaven
Hi. Vera is doing much better. For her constipation I found a product called Hydra Care by Purina. It’s for dehydration and it’s like a gravy consistency. It is also made by the same company that makes her cat food, so I think that is why it was the only product she was brave enough to try (I’m thinking it smelled similar). Anyway that fixed that issue right up.

We are looking to find a cat safe plant to replace the lily and for Vera to munch on. I have brought her the cat grass plants before and she likes them, but they don’t last very long. But Vera’s mouth and lips look normal now and I don’t think she’s vomited since the plant was moved so that’s great.

I’m also trying a product called Zylkene that is a calming supplement. I mixed into her food and was thrilled she didn’t notice it and ate it up. It’s supposed to be used for a 2-5 days before you see results so we’ve only done it for two days. Hopefully it will help and we can get to the vet. I also found a certified cat friendly vet very close. Thanks for checking in. Thanks for your kind words.

Attachments

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 'rescue' cat who is very, very wary--and won't be picked up. She's been with me for 6 years now (she's 9), and I've been able to get her to the vet with several different approaches.

Initially, we had home visits, but, as you know, the cat still has to be confined. Early on, a vet prescribed gabapentin, and we worked out a dosage that would get her 'calm'--I give it to her the night before and then the next morning. I try to get my vet appointments between 10 and 11 am because that's the optimum time for handling her.

I always have the carrier out--it's the top of a kitty stroller--and I regularly feed her treats in the carrier. But if the gabapentin makes her too sleepy, she won't come for treats. I that case, I know I have one try to pick her up and get her into the carrier. Naturally, I'm always anxious about this, and, sadly, she can read my moods. If I know I'll need to pick her up, I bring the carrier as close to where she is but out of her sight. I put it 'end up' so that I can drop her in quickly. I don't bother with a towel because that just complicates things for me. I just make sure to get my arms around her back legs and front legs and pick her up as quickly as possible before she can react. That has worked.

This last vet visit, I went into the kitchen (where the carrier is) about 9:30 am. She will typically follow me in if she's not too zonked by the gabapentin. She came in; I gave her treats in the carrier, and the quickly shut her in.

As for the taste of the gabapentin, my girl is very wary of anything in her food. Initially I had pills and used pill pockets, which she loved. But she may have gotten a taste of the gabapentin because after a couple of years, she rejected all pill pockets. I have capsules now that I break open. I buy a tuna that's packed in its own juices (not water) and has a strong flavor. She loves it, and it totally masks the taste of the gabapentin. My vet told me that the opened capsules are better than the gabapentin liquid because the liquid has a much more unpleasant taste.

I have aways said that Eisenhower had less trouble planning the invasion of Normandy than I have in getting my girl to the vet. The allusion tells you that I'm not young. I'm 82--I also live alone and have mobility issues, so if I can manage, anyone can.

Good luck.
Thanks for your info - what we do for love! Ha. We’re still trying to find a carrier she’ll take to. My husband just showed me one that is part of a stroller, I bet that’s what you’re using. I think you’re right about the towel, especially since Vera’s now got a negative association to it. I’m still struggling to find her any type of treat she will eat - she has a major food aversion. Her mouth will water but she is so scared to try anything new. I did just find a gravy she would eat, but only when it was on her food. Maybe I can work with introducing treats with that gravy, or her regular food? Once you get someone food motivated it’s so much easier. I know I’d put up with a lot for chocolate! Thanks again for your advice, it’s very helpful!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat grass works best if you have two or three largish pots and only put half the package in one. Wait a week and put the other half of the package in another. Wait a week and put half the next package in the third pot. The grass will come up at different times. Most cats can't eat all the grass they tell you to plant before it dies. Yes, big and lush looks pretty, but most is wasted. Coming in a week or two a part gives each planting time to grow big enough to be eatten. Unless someone, who shall be nameless, decides flower pots are litter boxes.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the carrier. Sweet Gum loves her carrier when it's being her little house. She has always napped in it, sometimes for the whole night with it's plush mattress, fluffy bunny doll and the towel over the top. From time to time, lovely kitty house becomes iron maiden of doom!!!! and that is whenever she needs to go to the vet. Total fight panic growth of eight more legs to keep from going in the box!! throw the carrier on the floor, run run run!!

Get home from the vet. blast escape the carrier! sulk for an hour. Find carrier back in it's place. Nap time in lovely kitty house.

I did realize that she can tell the difference between my going out of the house clothes and wearing in the house clothes. Put the cat in the box before you change out of your pjs. Just saying.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Spider plants are also non toxic. Boston fern too. My cats like the spider plants hanging from the walls. I tried grass with them and Indy thought it was a toilet. Kabuto just ignored it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason i don't understand Boston fern does better in hanging baskets, but you can put them near tables so the cats can reach them. You will need to re-pot them every other year, but they like it and can live a very long time even with cats nibbling on them and knocking them off their hooks from time to time.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat grass works best if you have two or three largish pots and only put half the package in one. Wait a week and put the other half of the package in another. Wait a week and put half the next package in the third pot. The grass will come up at different times. Most cats can't eat all the grass they tell you to plant before it dies. Yes, big and lush looks pretty, but most is wasted. Coming in a week or two a part gives each planting time to grow big enough to be eatten. Unless someone, who shall be nameless, decides flower pots are litter boxes.
Excellent advice thanks. I'm going to try that with my next packet as these hooligans eat a lot of grass.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spider plants are also non toxic. Boston fern too. My cats like the spider plants hanging from the walls. I tried grass with them and Indy thought it was a toilet. Kabuto just ignored it.
Just a little FYI on spider plants though...they are an opiate for cats. Some cats can go a little wild eating too much. Or they might have behaviour you don't like when they get high on it. (My cat got too lazy and wouldn't play and he was on weight loss. We had to put the plants up)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little FYI on spider plants though...they are an opiate for cats. Some cats can go a little wild eating too much. Or they might have behaviour you don't like when they get high on it. (My cat got too lazy and wouldn't play and he was on weight loss. We had to put the plants up)
So does catnip. Ive never noticed my cats get high off it.
Catnip also is good in salads ive heard. And as a calming tea.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m also trying a product called Zylkene that is a calming supplement. I mixed into her food and was thrilled she didn’t notice it and ate it up. It’s supposed to be used for a 2-5 days before you see results so we’ve only done it for two days. Hopefully it will help and we can get to the vet.
I looked into zylkene for my girl because the car ride to the vet stresses her out and she is scared of people because of her past so she just covers in the corner at the vets office... they have a similar product with the same exact active ingredient same 75 mg as well, but half the price It is called calmkeen. They are both on amazon if you would like to check it out.

Calmkeen 60 capsuls for 30.99
Zylkene 30 capsules for 33.99

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew this... I'm glad I do now I'm going to be putting mine where Gabby can't reach it. She doesn't mess with it but I don't want her to ever lol.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never knew this... I'm glad I do now I'm going to be putting mine where Gabby can't reach it. She doesn't mess with it but I don't want her to ever lol.
It's not toxic or dangerous to cats like opiates can be for humans.

I just like to give the FYI in case people prefer they don't have it.

IndyJones IndyJones catnip makes cats high but it is not an opiate for cats. I'm unsure about salads but it makes a good tea!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not toxic or dangerous to cats like opiates can be for humans.

I just like to give the FYI in case people prefer they don't have it.
I really do appreciate it. I don't know how it would make her feel or how she would act so I think it best for me to move it just so I know she doesn't get it lol
I'm glad thay you did reiterate that it is not toxic though I appreciate that bit of information.

Omgoodness.. I can see it now me not knowing this and her getting into it one day and me freaking out not knowing why she would be acting weird lol
I'd rush her to a vet or something for her "being high off of a spider plant"

But all jokes aside thank you I really do appreciate the information about it.