How to get rescued cat terrified of being picked up seen by vet

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I would welcome advice, especially from anyone who’s rescued a cat with an abusive past. This is further complicated in that Vera is my mother in law’s cat. My MIL is out of town every other week. This has been going on for about 6 years. She initially asked me and my husband to supplement pet sitter visits because Vera licked all the fur off her tummy. Our visits helped at first. But now Vera is 14 and she needs to see a vet asap. I have never known a sweeter or gentler cat - she has never scratched or bit or hissed at me once. But a while back my MIL tried to stuff her in a crate and Vera fought back like it was life or death. MIL is reluctant to rehome Vera because she thinks she will be lonely without her. I have built a lot of trust with Vera but it’s difficult to make enough progress when my interactions with her are so chopped up.
Every other cat I’ve known has been food motivated but Vera is also VERY suspicious of new foods. No matter how tantalizing she will refuse treats or fresh roast chicken, etc.

Vera is obviously depressed, taking to hiding more. When we visit she wants to be petted for 40-60 minutes non-stop, then she usually goes under the bed and then comes back for more. But if you move to fast, or there’s someone else in the room, she’s off.

Vera had had huge amounts of black wax in her ears, one ear much worse. We’ve been using Zymox Otic which helps a lot but aren’t usually able to get her drops 7 days in a row. She’s been constipated lately, which she was eating the peace lily plant to get fiber, but which also caused her to get sores on her mouth and to vomit. I finally just removed the plant since MIL wouldn’t and the sores on mouth are gone. We tried adding a little pumpkin Weruva to her food with extra water but heard she doesn’t like it. I suspect she is having serious dental issues as well. Butthe poor cat obviously doesn’t feel good, doesn’t play or run around like she used to and I also find her limping often. She also has a very productive sneeze and can get very congested

Has anyone had a super skittish cat like this and does anyone know a way to motivate Kitty without food treats? I have found vets who make house calls but they say if she’s that skittish they don’t know how they will be able to do an exam.
One vet gave gabapentin but it has a very strong flavor and this cat is super scared to eat anything that is different from her normal food.
Like I said Vera is terrified of being picked up. I have been able to pick her up once or twice when we’ve been playing, and I set her down before she had a chance to get upset. But usually I would also use a treat to reinforce. And after MIL tried to force her into carrier she’s extra paranoid.

Thanks for any suggestions. It’s so hard to see this cat suffer. My husband is trying to get his mom to rehome, we’d happily take her and have experience with elderly cats and giving meds, etc. But at least MIL is open to getting Vera seen by vet - it’s just a matter of how.

Also does anyone know of any good Kitty chill pills besides gabapentine? My other cat didn’t do well on it - made her kind of trippy one the worst way. I’ve ordered Zylkene but still not sure how I can get it inside Vera…thanks!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can just leave the carrier out in the open some place a week/month etc for her to get used to it on her own time. of course once you get her to the vet all bets are off probably so make sure you talk to the vet so you guys can have a plan of action in place to make the visit as stress free as possible. best of luck to you guys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can just leave the carrier out in the open some place a week/month etc for her to get used to it on her own time. of course once you get her to the vet all bets are off probably so make sure you talk to the vet so you guys can have a plan of action in place to make the visit as stress free as possible. best of luck to you guys
Thanks. So far she’s avoiding carrier so I’m going to buy a different kind that doesn’t look the same.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They have some modern carriers that are also like beds but sort of have a zippered clamshell top. I don't know if she sleeps in beds though. I've never had a cat who really liked going in the carrier. For me they always starfish a bit and it requires some folding in of legs. Wish they understood that it's for their benefit in the long run!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually did this with my cat we took the door off and left out for her to examine. I would even play with her and throw toys in there and she would go in and bring them out. Now she will go in and lay down. This helped we are at the point now where I can put her in there without fight.
Before we took the door off she douldnt go near it so with my cat the door coming off was the perfect trick. After she got comfy with going in without door we put door back on and still left it there doing everything the same (toys and stuff) also my girl is not treat motivated she won't even eat any treat or canned food... so I understand the struggle with a cat not treat motivated..
Good luck and patience is key. Go at her speed

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have to stand the carrier with the door up and lower her into it, works much better. Or get a carrier with a top-opening door. You might have to scruff her to get her in, but they can't really get a grip with their back legs and that helps. i know how stressful this is. you could also ask the vet if you could give her 1/8 to 1/4 tp Miralax in a beaten egg yolk or a tiny amount of heavy cream (less lactose)That has always worked for my cat's constipation. All the luck!

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have some modern carriers that are also like beds but sort of have a zippered clamshell top. I don't know if she sleeps in beds though. I've never had a cat who really liked going in the carrier. For me they always starfish a bit and it requires some folding in of legs. Wish they understood that it's for their benefit in the long run!
Thanks

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still thinking about the plant,lilies of every kind are toxic to cats.... might also be why she has some issues you've described,tummy pain & discomfort can certainly have a kitty licking a belly bald.....

Is she harness trained,walk on a leash?I do think she should be seen by a Vet and a home visit sounds
the least stressful, a quick injection to sedate her is much simpler than tryjng to dose her in food with something thst not really gojng to do all that much imo......perhaps you might want to make some more calls to different Vets? Mine don't care about temperment,I took my completely feral 7yr old in recently,no problem with a good assistant...

I agree with di and bob di and bob ,Miralax works great,ask your Vet for an okay!

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Vanda’s Mom Vanda’s Mom
Btw,I went to the ER,- no joke! Trying to get him to the Vet landed me in the hospital-lol,Vet said if he ever needs be seen again to have a house call!

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vanda’s Mom Vanda’s Mom
Btw,I went to the ER,- no joke! Trying to get him to the Vet landed me in the hospital-lol,Vet said if he ever needs be seen again to have a house call!
Yes, I believe it. So did my mom in law. Her clothes were shredded and some scratches were deep and got infected. So shocking from the sweetest cat in the world. Vera obviously thought it was life or death.

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still thinking about the plant,lilies of every kind are toxic to cats.... might also be why she has some issues you've described,tummy pain & discomfort can certainly have a kitty licking a belly bald.....

Is she harness trained,walk on a leash?I do think she should be seen by a Vet and a home visit sounds
the least stressful, a quick injection to sedate her is much simpler than tryjng to dose her in food with something thst not really gojng to do all that much imo......perhaps you might want to make some more calls to different Vets? Mine don't care about temperment,I took my completely feral 7yr old in recently,no problem with a good assistant...

I agree with di and bob di and bob ,Miralax works great,ask your Vet for an okay!
I agree about the plant - less vomit and mouth sores since I moved it out, but her constipation is worse. Will try the Miralax suggestion as I’ve heard it doesn’t have strong flavor.

No, she’s not leashed trained or anything. I was thinking a vet that could handle a feral would be an idea because she basically goes wild if anyone tries to pick her up.

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might have to stand the carrier with the door up and lower her into it, works much better. Or get a carrier with a top-opening door. You might have to scruff her to get her in, but they can't really get a grip with their back legs and that helps. i know how stressful this is. you could also ask the vet if you could give her 1/8 to 1/4 tp Miralax in a beaten egg yolk or a tiny amount of heavy cream (less lactose)That has always worked for my cat's constipation. All the luck!
thanks so much for the Miralax /egg idea. I haven’t tried egg with her. I think they were trying this carrier method last time but the door wasn’t roomy enough. They just weren’t expecting how wild she became. I’m hoping a softer carrier material might work better.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Vanda’s Mom Vanda’s Mom
Yes,exactly-they think they are fighting for their life,poor sweet darling dears

But why go through all that drama yourself plus put her through all kinds of stress when a Vet that's used to dealing with that doesn't mind,right?

Funny,I Said to my Vet-when should I pick him up and he said " Depends,I'll call you because I'm not sure who's assisting me today and I might need to call someone in- my brave girls"

You see I couldn't keep the appt I made that day( ER)so Vet said when you get him in the carrier just come in.....had I known it was going to be such an ordeal we could've scheduled a home visit and he'd bring his "brave" assistant.....I hope you find a Vet to help you out but if you can afford to wait then as the others suggested you can familiarize her with a cozy bed type of zip up carrier.... they are a breeze to get them used to

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask if you've considered keeping her?Sounds like you are a really good cat Momma

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually did this with my cat we took the door off and left out for her to examine. I would even play with her and throw toys in there and she would go in and bring them out. Now she will go in and lay down. This helped we are at the point now where I can put her in there without fight.
Before we took the door off she douldnt go near it so with my cat the door coming off was the perfect trick. After she got comfy with going in without door we put door back on and still left it there doing everything the same (toys and stuff) also my girl is not treat motivated she won't even eat any treat or canned food... so I understand the struggle with a cat not treat motivated..
Good luck and patience is key. Go at her speed
That’s a very good idea. I will definitely try it with the doors off. I’m also going to try a different style, too, and see if that works.

Vanda’s Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I ask if you've considered keeping her?Sounds like you are a really good cat Momma
You’re sweet. Yes I’d love to keep Vera, she’s one of my best friends-😺. Her owner says she’s afraid Vera wouldn’t like our house because of my two cats. That could be true, but being home alone 2 weeks out of the month for six years is worse. We’re looking for someone else with experience with older cats with difficult pasts to give her another rehoming option. We’re hoping if we can just get a vet to check out Vera then the vet can also speak to owner about all the things she needs, st the least she needs ear medicine and diet changes and regular check ups, etc.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I would welcome advice, especially from anyone who’s rescued a cat with an abusive past. This is further complicated in that Vera is my mother in law’s cat. My MIL is out of town every other week. This has been going on for about 6 years. She initially asked me and my husband to supplement pet sitter visits because Vera licked all the fur off her tummy. Our visits helped at first. But now Vera is 14 and she needs to see a vet asap. I have never known a sweeter or gentler cat - she has never scratched or bit or hissed at me once. But a while back my MIL tried to stuff her in a crate and Vera fought back like it was life or death. MIL is reluctant to rehome Vera because she thinks she will be lonely without her. I have built a lot of trust with Vera but it’s difficult to make enough progress when my interactions with her are so chopped up.
Every other cat I’ve known has been food motivated but Vera is also VERY suspicious of new foods. No matter how tantalizing she will refuse treats or fresh roast chicken, etc.

Vera is obviously depressed, taking to hiding more. When we visit she wants to be petted for 40-60 minutes non-stop, then she usually goes under the bed and then comes back for more. But if you move to fast, or there’s someone else in the room, she’s off.

Vera had had huge amounts of black wax in her ears, one ear much worse. We’ve been using Zymox Otic which helps a lot but aren’t usually able to get her drops 7 days in a row. She’s been constipated lately, which she was eating the peace lily plant to get fiber, but which also caused her to get sores on her mouth and to vomit. I finally just removed the plant since MIL wouldn’t and the sores on mouth are gone. We tried adding a little pumpkin Weruva to her food with extra water but heard she doesn’t like it. I suspect she is having serious dental issues as well. Butthe poor cat obviously doesn’t feel good, doesn’t play or run around like she used to and I also find her limping often. She also has a very productive sneeze and can get very congested

Has anyone had a super skittish cat like this and does anyone know a way to motivate Kitty without food treats? I have found vets who make house calls but they say if she’s that skittish they don’t know how they will be able to do an exam.
One vet gave gabapentin but it has a very strong flavor and this cat is super scared to eat anything that is different from her normal food.
Like I said Vera is terrified of being picked up. I have been able to pick her up once or twice when we’ve been playing, and I set her down before she had a chance to get upset. But usually I would also use a treat to reinforce. And after MIL tried to force her into carrier she’s extra paranoid.

Thanks for any suggestions. It’s so hard to see this cat suffer. My husband is trying to get his mom to rehome, we’d happily take her and have experience with elderly cats and giving meds, etc. But at least MIL is open to getting Vera seen by vet - it’s just a matter of how.

Also does anyone know of any good Kitty chill pills besides gabapentine? My other cat didn’t do well on it - made her kind of trippy one the worst way. I’ve ordered Zylkene but still not sure how I can get it inside Vera…thanks!
Gabapentin does not have to be put in food. Liquid,cream,gel or pill prescribed by vet. To get in cage have one ready in your closet or bathroom way ahead so she doesn't hear it. Pick her up,shut door,then put her in. Best time to do it is when she's sleeping if you have trouble picking her up

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t forget the kitty burrito method. Roll your cat snugly into a towel so looks like a burrito. Then lower your burrito feet first into the carrier.

⭐my boy hates carriers buy rides fine on my lap. I know it is dangerous and a carrier is better but for extreme cases this might be an option. Have one person drive & one person hold the cat.

⭐ask the vet for a light sedative, give it to your cat she’d of time, then put the sleepy kitty in the crate. 🤷🏻‍♀️

⭐ pro tip lock the kitty in a room first, then bring out the carrier.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You’re sweet. Yes I’d love to keep Vera, she’s one of my best friends-😺. Her owner says she’s afraid Vera wouldn’t like our house because of my two cats. That could be true, but being home alone 2 weeks out of the month for six years is worse. We’re looking for someone else with experience with older cats with difficult pasts to give her another rehoming option. We’re hoping if we can just get a vet to check out Vera then the vet can also speak to owner about all the things she needs, st the least she needs ear medicine and diet changes and regular check ups, etc.
She might be more comfortable with other cats around. They can be a "bridge" to being more comfortable with humans. She might become less food-shy watching other cats as well.

A slow introduction to your cats could go very well.

The different style carrier might work. Once he got bigger, Magnus resisted a regular carrier. We got a backpack one. I've had many cats react better to a harness but they already tolerate being picked up so that won't work for you I think.

Oven mitts from the dollar store to pick her up.

How does she respond to catnip? Does it calm her? What about Feliway?

She might be hiding more because she feels unwell 😔.

You might try using her regular food to give the medication:
You may have to try the purrito method: