How to get a cat to be willing to try freeze dried/air dried food?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get my cat to like freeze dried/air dried food. I tried giving her Stella & Chewy Freeze Dried Chicken, she wouldn't eat it on it own, we got to sprinkle it on top of her kibbles to lure her to eat it. But most of the time, if we added that into her kibbles, she'll walked away instead and choose not to eat her food unless she's really hungry. Her poop is fine, hence, her tummy is able to take the food well.

As she has a sensitive tummy, I'm always giving her little bits of new food for trial first.

I'm going to try Primal Freeze-Dried Turkey tomorrow afternoon with her kibbles. Hopefully she'll like it.

Meow Freeze Dried Beef and Hoki just came today and I tried giving it to her but she doesn't want it. Gave her Absolute Holistic Air Dried Chicken and Hoki (omg it smells damn good, I wish I could eat it), but she doesn't want it too.

She used to love air dried food (Ziwipeak and ItiCat) when she was just a few months old. But she once had a bad diarrhoea after having Ziwipeak, hence, the vet I went to say she don't recommend any Freeze Dried or Air Dried as it's raw. But, I feel like letting my cat try other brand of it instead as she doesn't like wet food and she prefers kibbles.

Anyone have any advice or experience on getting your cat to be willingly try out freeze dried or air dried? Thanks!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you rehydrating the FD raw? It really shouldn’t be fed dry. It’s more dehydrating than kibble. Air dried is just as bad as kibble for it, sadly, as it can’t be hydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you rehydrating the FD raw? It really shouldn’t be fed dry. It’s more dehydrating than kibble. Air dried is just as bad as kibble for it, sadly, as it can’t be hydrated.
I tried rehydrating it but my cat doesn't want it. Ohhh! Didn't know air dried is as bad as kibbles. Thanks for letting me know.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try the freeze dried shrimp. They are crispy and my cats seems to like their texture and taste better than the dried chicken, which can be hard and tough.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats go by smell almost exclusively, not taste. A cat has fewer than 500 taste buds, unlike a human, who has over 9000. So instead of it being a situation of- if only I could get them to taste it- it would have to smell differently. You could try something like chicken broth, but as others have said, it’s not the most nutritious to start with.