How much water and how many times a day pee 4 month old kitten?

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate to keep asking questions about Bob the new 4-5 mo old kitten I adopted about a month ago. Ever since I got him he seems to be drinking a lot of water (not emptying the bowl) just going to the bowl and drinking. He's also peeing roughly 8 times a day. I'm feeding him dry kitten food mixed with canned kitten food. He's very active. I have a vet appt next week to get his booster shots but I'm wondering if this is normal for a kitten. I'm kinda worried about diabetes even though it's rare in kittens but does happen and I'm going to have my vet check him for that. Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate to keep asking questions about Bob the new 4-5 mo old kitten I adopted about a month ago. Ever since I got him he seems to be drinking a lot of water (not emptying the bowl) just going to the bowl and drinking. He's also peeing roughly 8 times a day. I'm feeding him dry kitten food mixed with canned kitten food. He's very active. I have a vet appt next week to get his booster shots but I'm wondering if this is normal for a kitten. I'm kinda worried about diabetes even though it's rare in kittens but does happen and I'm going to have my vet check him for that. Any thoughts?
I just made a vet appt for this morning to have him checked out so I don't worry

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Bob the new 4-5 mo old kitten I adopted about a month ago. Ever since I got him he seems to be drinking a lot of water (not emptying the bowl) just going to the bowl and drinking. He's also peeing roughly 8 times a day.
Kittens have weak bladders and cannot hold their pee well and that's why they pee often and pee a lot. Once they are adults, they'll have stronger bladders and they hold their pee much longer and pee less.

As long as they are still eating and drinking and active and pooping normally, I would not worry that much but it's still best to seek a professional advice from the vet to rule out any health problems.

Last edited:

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

i hope your cat is doing well. Here I have the same problem. My cat drinks a lot and pees a lot (6 times a day). Have you faced with any problems with your cat? Should I be worried?

thank you.

Mahurboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

i hope your cat is doing well. Here I have the same problem. My cat drinks a lot and pees a lot (6 times a day). Have you faced with any problems with your cat? Should I be worried?

thank you.
My cat is 5 months old.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last two kittens I had at home (one was fostered, the other one has been adopted) had/has the same problem.

The fostered kitten would pee up to 15 times a day and drink lots of water! I had her checked by the vet, blood and urine tests done, but nothing came out. The vet said it was the way the kitten was. When I adopted her out things went immediately fine.
The kitten I currently have at home is drinking up to 60 ml a day (the max was 120 ml a day, the minimum has been around 15 ml) and is peeing up to 10 times a day, the average being 8 times. Again I had her checked thoroughly, all is clear.
So probably it is a kitten's thing.

The vet told me how much water a cat could drink, it was something like 1 ml/kg/h, that means that a 1 kg kitten could drink 24 ml a day, including the moisture in the wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Bob isn't peeing as much so I do think it's a "kitten thing" like the others have said. I had him checked for diabetes when I took him to the vet and all was good.