How much ml of water do your cat get a day?

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Approximately how much water do your cat get a day? From the bowl and from the wet food.

My cat's drinking bowl is 300ml. He drinks like 210 to 230 a day. I calculated by filing the 300ml Bowl at 12am then after 24hours i measure the remaining by a measurement cup. I only give him kibble.

He's turkish angora, weight 5.7kg. House temperature is be tween 26 to 29 degrees. Activities is low. Is 220ml a day enough for him? In Google they say it should be higher.

How much ml of liquor do your cat get a day?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Short of reading stuff on the internet, is there a reason for you to be concerned about your cat's water intake?

I've never measured my cat's water intake, but she has always been a pretty prolific drinker. At this stage of her life, she only eats wet food, and I even add a bit of water to it - not for worrying about her moisture intake though, but to keep is moist over hours of sitting out.

Most cats, unless there might be an underlying health issue, drink what their bodies need. Of course. a cat who only eats kibble might be in a semi-constant state of minimal dehydration, but not likely. How are your cat's stools - normal but not too hard? That is one clue. You can also check for how quickly her skin falls back into place if you gently pull up the loose scruff at her neck. This really is only a good test if your cat is truly dehydrated as the skin will retract slowly.

The one thing I do to ensure my cat has readily available water is to place multiple dishes around the house, especially in the areas she frequents. It is like a 'reminder' for her to drink as she passes by them. I also change out the water twice a day with cold water. Others use water fountains to help entice their cats to drink. Some place ice cubes in the water to interest the cat. There are others who use floating balls to get their cats to check out water dishes. There are water flavor enhancers, but I have never considered trying them.

Whether or not your cat is drinking an appropriate amount can only be increased or improved by such tactics as mentioned above. You can't make them drink what they don't want to drink otherwise.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Approximately how much water do your cat get a day? From the bowl and from the wet food.

My cat's drinking bowl is 300ml. He drinks like 210 to 230 a day. I calculated by filing the 300ml Bowl at 12am then after 24hours i measure the remaining by a measurement cup. I only give him kibble.

He's turkish angora, weight 5.7kg. House temperature is be tween 26 to 29 degrees. Activities is low. Is 220ml a day enough for him? In Google they say it should be higher.

Don't forget, water will evaporate and after 24 hours, you have to deduct roughly the amount that had evaporated and what your your cat had drunk to get the estimate amount.

Here's an article for you to read :- Water - 15 Tips to Increase Your Cat's Water Intake

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of obsessed with my cats' water intake, and I've been measuring the water they drink daily for the past couple of years.
Of course, because I have two cats I can't know how much water each of them drinks, but I guess the water is equally split between them.

They drink very little from the bowl. I fill it with 50 ml every single morning, and I found it completely dry only on two or three occasions in two years. Usually I found at least half of the amount in the bowl the next morning.
So I'd say they drink 20 to 25 ml of water per day, on average. Somedays only 8 ml are missing, other days up to 40 ml.

Then there's the moisture they get from the wet meals, two wet meals per day (half a can each cat per meal).
The label on the can says that the moisture content is 80 to 85%, depending on the brand and variety of the wet food. A can is 85 grams, so the moisture content for each can is about 70 ml.
To their wet meal I add at least 3 teaspoons of extra water, that is about 12 to 15 ml per meal.

So, it's 70 ml from the moisture in the wet food, plus 12 to 15 of extra water, and 10 to 12 ml from the water bowl = 92 to 97 ml of water per day each cat.
My cats weigh 4.3 kg and 3.3 kg respectively.
House temperature is 19°C to 20°C in wintertime, up to 32°C in summertime.
I haven't noticed much difference in their water intake along the year.

I don't know if they drink enough, but their skin is very elastic to me and all labs have always been fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm kind of obsessed with my cats' water intake, and I've been measuring the water they drink daily for the past couple of years.
Of course, because I have two cats I can't know how much water each of them drinks, but I guess the water is equally split between them.

They drink very little from the bowl. I fill it with 50 ml every single morning, and I found it completely dry only on two or three occasions in two years. Usually I found at least half of the amount in the bowl the next morning.
So I'd say they drink 20 to 25 ml of water per day, on average. Somedays only 8 ml are missing, other days up to 40 ml.

Then there's the moisture they get from the wet meals, two wet meals per day (half a can each cat per meal).
The label on the can says that the moisture content is 80 to 85%, depending on the brand and variety of the wet food. A can is 85 grams, so the moisture content for each can is about 70 ml.
To their wet meal I add at least 3 teaspoons of extra water, that is about 12 to 15 ml per meal.

So, it's 70 ml from the moisture in the wet food, plus 12 to 15 of extra water, and 10 to 12 ml from the water bowl = 92 to 97 ml of water per day each cat.
My cats weigh 4.3 kg and 3.3 kg respectively.
House temperature is 19°C to 20°C in wintertime, up to 32°C in summertime.
I haven't noticed much difference in their water intake along the year.

I don't know if they drink enough, but their skin is very elastic to me and all labs have always been fine.
Thank you for sharing!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy is strictly on wet food and his food comes in forms of meat pieces and gravy. Each time I feed him, I can extract 12 - 13 teaspoonful of gravy and I leave the gravy on the other side of the plate where he is eating from and he'll slurp up all the gravy. So I know that my boy is fully hydrated and also he pees big clumps in the litterbox.

Errmmmm........................so far my boy have not tried liquor as yet....................................:lol::crackup::flail: No liquor for cats please.

The other way to know if your boy is hydrated, do the skin pinch test. Gently lift up the skin between his shoulder blades and release. If the skin springs to the normal position, your boy is hydrated and if the skin returns in a slow manner, it means you boy is dehydrated.

Cats have low thirst drives and so it is important to have them well hydrated especially if it's a make cat. Male cats are very prone to UTI.

One other way is take note of how much he pees a day and also if the clumps are big or small clumps. Big clumps usually tell that the cat is hydrated and small clumps shows that the cat is not hydrated enough.
Also make sure when your boy pees, you can hear the gushing of pee sounds and that indicates that your boy is not blocked. UTI is a very painful episode and is very dangerous for the cat too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One other way is take note of how much he pees a day and also if the clumps are big or small clumps. Big clumps usually tell that the cat is hydrated and small clumps shows that the cat is not hydrated enough.
:yeah: Very true!

Of course. a cat who only eats kibble might be in a semi-constant state of minimal dehydration, but not likely.
:agree: I agree!

When we adopted our cat he had only been eating dry food at the shelter. I wanted to try and transition him over to wet food because of the health benefits and higher water content so did it slowly. He gets a little dry food at night as a snack but that's all. I thought this TCS Article might have some helpful information for you: Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food - TheCatSite
Also male cats are more prone to cystitis and since you have a male you might want to try offering him some wet (canned food) if you're concerned about his water intake. Best of luck!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats' main water supply comes from the watering can that we use to care for houseplants. It stays on the shelf under the plant stand in the living room. Both cats use it, pretty much daily. We stopped putting plant food into the water when we first noticed Casper taking interest in it. (We figure that the cat saliva that gets into the water probably acts as plant food, anyhow. ;) )

We keep a bowl of water in the upstairs room where there is also a second dish of cat food. Since we have two cats, we need to have two feeding stations in order to prevent food competition. Again, the upstairs water station gets used almost daily.

Casper, the eldest, also likes to drink from the bathtub faucet. We let it drip, slowly, for him so that he can go there to drink and play with the dripping water. He does that on an almost-daily basis, as well.

Both our cats eat about 50/50 wet and dry food. If I had my druthers, I'd want that to be 100% wet food but they are both rescues that have acclimated to dry food when they were living outdoors and it's hard to transition them completely off the dry food. We talked about this with our vet and she said that cats living outdoors often don't know where their next meal is coming from and that, when a hungry cat finds a safe source of food, they tend to stick with it and won't eat anything else. Both cats were lured in using dry food so that's probably going to be the food they eat for the foreseeable future.

Our vet also said that, when a cat eats dry food, it's important for them to get plenty of water. In fact, she pounded her fist on the table and said, "Water! Water! Water!" Not only is water important for a cat's general health but it's also important to prevent urinary crystals forming. The more water a cat drinks, the more dilute its urine. More dilute urine translates to less chance of crystals. We were also warned that neutered, male cats are more prone to getting crystals. Thus, thus the fist pounding. ;)

I can't tell you exactly how much water our cats drink but I still know that they are drinking plenty of water, daily, and that's what really matters to me. They do leave clumps in the litter box and that's the main way we know.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've no idea other than i noticed graycie drinking alot more when on a dry food diet only versus eating both wet and dry food. i do add a spoonful or two of water to her wet food though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kasper111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cats' main water supply comes from the watering can that we use to care for houseplants. It stays on the shelf under the plant stand in the living room. Both cats use it, pretty much daily. We stopped putting plant food into the water when we first noticed Casper taking interest in it. (We figure that the cat saliva that gets into the water probably acts as plant food, anyhow. ;) )

We keep a bowl of water in the upstairs room where there is also a second dish of cat food. Since we have two cats, we need to have two feeding stations in order to prevent food competition. Again, the upstairs water station gets used almost daily.

Casper, the eldest, also likes to drink from the bathtub faucet. We let it drip, slowly, for him so that he can go there to drink and play with the dripping water. He does that on an almost-daily basis, as well.

Both our cats eat about 50/50 wet and dry food. If I had my druthers, I'd want that to be 100% wet food but they are both rescues that have acclimated to dry food when they were living outdoors and it's hard to transition them completely off the dry food. We talked about this with our vet and she said that cats living outdoors often don't know where their next meal is coming from and that, when a hungry cat finds a safe source of food, they tend to stick with it and won't eat anything else. Both cats were lured in using dry food so that's probably going to be the food they eat for the foreseeable future.

Our vet also said that, when a cat eats dry food, it's important for them to get plenty of water. In fact, she pounded her fist on the table and said, "Water! Water! Water!" Not only is water important for a cat's general health but it's also important to prevent urinary crystals forming. The more water a cat drinks, the more dilute its urine. More dilute urine translates to less chance of crystals. We were also warned that neutered, male cats are more prone to getting crystals. Thus, thus the fist pounding. ;)

I can't tell you exactly how much water our cats drink but I still know that they are drinking plenty of water, daily, and that's what really matters to me. They do leave clumps in the litter box and that's the main way we know.
I also named my cat Kasper!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mine are on a mostly wet diet (around 90%) and I had to tell the vet I've never seen Ghost drink.
I add a tablespoon of water to each 3oz wet food can and usually split it between the boys for meals.
They have a Catit fountain and a water cup and I can't tell, usually, if it's evaporated or drank. But the pinch test goes well. I know Magnus and Cal have occasionally drank from both places; when it's hot I've witnessed this a few times.