How Many Cats Are Too Many Cats...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have ten and that is probably nine more than I should have. I didn't intend to have this many but for a period it seemed as though people were dropping them off in my yard. I found two of my cats (always unfixed females), in three degree weather, and one on a day that was 108!

Yes, I live in a large three story house, so space is not the issue, and I do have the resources to take care of them, but I feel guilty for having so many because I don't have the time to give each cat the individual attention that she or he needs. Because of that I will never have this many cats again, but knowing what I do now about how hard it is for a cat to get a home, I don't think I can have just one again either.

To be honest, I don't know what the answer is.

EmeraldX

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no such thing as too many cats.

Well, kind of. I'd love to say that, but ultimately I think it's best to go with how many you can handle.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Five? That's kids stuff :p (Just kidding you know).

We have 9 indoors, separated into two colonies. The colony of 3, I'm desperately wanting a kitten but wife keeps going :angrywoman::bat:
She's smarter than I am and I know it. We don't need another cat, we have plenty of animals here now. Everyone gets along well so we don't want to tempt it.
But then I see a picture of a little kitten wrapped in a purrito blanket, dozing with that cute little sleepy mouth and pink little nose and the more logical part of my brain turns into cheese.
I got you beat! I’ve got 10 indoor cats, all spayed/neutered except one who will be fixed soon. I’ve bought in 2 more 16 weeks old kittens who were born in our yard recently (part feral I guess) and it didn’t take them long to get friendly with us. Very loving kittens.
Have them inside on porch due to the hot weather here for the time being and have made appointment for their first shots. Plan on getting them fixed and stay inside for good. I take good care of them, they are separated in two colonies too only because I had to cat proof part of the house. Other cats are pretty well behaved. (Plants/breakable items).
Some May call me crazy but all except two are rescues, from our yard..

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As others have said the number depends on how many you can take care of - food, vet, etc. I have 11 indoor which is too many since I live in a condo.

The last 2 I got by default. 6 years ago 4, four or five day old kittens were left on my porch. i bottle fed them and a friend adopted 2 when they were about 2 months old. He died suddenly last year and I took the cats. They are bonded and one sprays and swats so they were not very adoptable from the shelter where I volunteer.

Two I got because one person got evicted and asked me to take her cat until she got settled. Another kitten I got because a young woman was going through a domestic violence situation and asked me to take the kitten for 3 months until she graduated. Both of those were 3 years ago.

The others are all rescues from our feeding station

My husband used to take care of the boxes and feeding, but he has Alzheimers now and is depressed.so he no longer wants anything to do with the cats.

I am seriously thinking of re-homing some of them through my rescue group Since some of them were originally accepted by them, and adopted through them, they are legally obligated to take them back and I am legally obligated to return them to the rescue if I cannot care for them. My mother-in-law now lives with us and needs to be bathed, dressed, fed, etc. My husband only sits on the couch so I have to do everything.

I am going to keep the older ones and the ones with medical needs.

So now 11 for me is too many since it is hard to take care of them, and pay for food, litter, vets, etc.

Sorry for the long post.
'

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As others have said the number depends on how many you can take care of - food, vet, etc. I have 11 indoor which is too many since I live in a condo.

The last 2 I got by default. 6 years ago 4, four or five day old kittens were left on my porch. i bottle fed them and a friend adopted 2 when they were about 2 months old. He died suddenly last year and I took the cats. They are bonded and one sprays and swats so they were not very adoptable from the shelter where I volunteer.

Two I got because one person got evicted and asked me to take her cat until she got settled. Another kitten I got because a young woman was going through a domestic violence situation and asked me to take the kitten for 3 months until she graduated. Both of those were 3 years ago.

The others are all rescues from our feeding station

My husband used to take care of the boxes and feeding, but he has Alzheimers now and is depressed.so he no longer wants anything to do with the cats.

I am seriously thinking of re-homing some of them through my rescue group Since some of them were originally accepted by them, and adopted through them, they are legally obligated to take them back and I am legally obligated to return them to the rescue if I cannot care for them. My mother-in-law now lives with us and needs to be bathed, dressed, fed, etc. My husband only sits on the couch so I have to do everything.

I am going to keep the older ones and the ones with medical needs.

So now 11 for me is too many since it is hard to take care of them, and pay for food, litter, vets, etc.

Sorry for the long post.
'
OMG. You certainly have your hands full, Bless you!
i hope you’ll be able to find good homes, I know how hard things can get.
i will have 12 indoor cats, from 4 months to 15 years.
The world would be a better place if there were more caring, loving people like you. Hang in there and God bless