How Many Cats Are Too Many Cats...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One cat over what we have in our house at any given time is the limit.

For years, we had eight cats in the house. As the older kids have passed on, we are now down to five.

Last night, when Rick was back in the computer room scooping boxes, he asked me, "Pam, how did we EVER deal with eight cats? I can't believe we managed!" But we did and it wasn't bad. Now, five cats (and a Beast) can send us over the edge sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whimsikitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Five? That's kids stuff :p (Just kidding you know).

We have 9 indoors, separated into two colonies. The colony of 3, I'm desperately wanting a kitten but wife keeps going :angrywoman::bat:
She's smarter than I am and I know it. We don't need another cat, we have plenty of animals here now. Everyone gets along well so we don't want to tempt it.
But then I see a picture of a little kitten wrapped in a purrito blanket, dozing with that cute little sleepy mouth and pink little nose and the more logical part of my brain turns into cheese.
I know that feeling. Kitten photos are so tempting!

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love the "Feline Sampler Assortment" pic!

Our three never all sit together. Disparate personalities I suppose. But when they are close mischief invariably occurs: one will playfully bite the others tail, or swat an ear.... and calamity ensues. I never have time to get the camera...

Three doesn't seem like enough for us, until we have to go out and buy food or pay vet bills. Or they all decide they need attention at the same time. Then three seems like too many!

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, 2 is the limit for me. The apartment complex I live in won't allow more than that. :(

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the "Feline Sampler Assortment" pic!

Our three never all sit together. Disparate personalities I suppose. But when they are close mischief invariably occurs: one will playfully bite the others tail, or swat an ear.... and calamity ensues. I never have time to get the camera...

Three doesn't seem like enough for us, until we have to go out and buy food or pay vet bills. Or they all decide they need attention at the same time. Then three seems like too many!
When we take our 5 to the vet, they charge us full price for the first one, but knock $30 off for each of the other 4.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have six, and I guess we have already reached our limit :crackup:
When we have only one cat, we were suspicious about getting the second one. Then we have found a sick kitten and we just couldn't resist…. Then came the third… The rest just followed :)
Our house has enough space for 6, and they get along. We really enjoy a house with multiple cats. They bring so much joy and fun.

I say minimum 2 cats, maximum depends :p

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No answers, only questions you need to ask yourself.
Can you afford another cat or the cats you have without cutting spending on your own needs?
Are you able to keep up with the cleaning and household maintenance required to clean up after all the cats?
Do having your current number or more cats interfere with family or personal relationships?
Do you mind living with damage to furniture or household items?
Do you have enough space to allow cats to be together or get away from one another?
Do you have the space to isolate a cat if they are ill or need special attention?
Do you have a plan for how your cats would be cared for if you were to get sick or die?
Do your cats interfere with your ability to sleep or take care of yourself properly?
Have you thought about what you would do if the next cat starts all of the cats not getting along.

I think you need to ask all of these questions whether you are going from none to one cat or adding another cat in.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Asking for a, umm, friend, lol.

As long as they're well cared for, have proper vet visits and vaccinations, and each of them are played with and given time with one another equally I don't think there is too many. Just no hoarders, the way they care for their animals makes me sick to my stomach.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For me, 2 is the max because I would hate to be forced to rehome one if the apartment found out we had 3 :/ If I was in a situation like kittylove387 I would probably cave and take the cat in too though! But no more cats ~on purpose~. LOL!

Also our apartment is small, and I think another cat would not have enough space to share. I wish I could get another because Noodle would love a playmate her age. But Grey plays with her and I play with her as much as possible so she's ok.

If I had space, both me and Mr. GreyLady would have more. Definately.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, 2 is the max because I would hate to be forced to rehome one if the apartment found out we had 3 :/ If I was in a situation like kittylove387 I would probably cave and take the cat in too though! But no more cats ~on purpose~. LOL!

Also our apartment is small, and I think another cat would not have enough space to share. I wish I could get another because Noodle would love a playmate her age. But Grey plays with her and I play with her as much as possible so she's ok.

If I had space, both me and Mr. GreyLady would have more. Definately.
Yeah I get some anxiety about management finding out about her!! Especially with maintenance requests. I have one black cat who is a little shy with strangers so I'm hoping he stays hidden somewhere.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I get some anxiety about management finding out about her!! Especially with maintenance requests. I have one black cat who is a little shy with strangers so I'm hoping he stays hidden somewhere.
The good thing is that they dont know your cats like you do. So, especially if two look somewhat similar, they're not going to walk by your window and be like "Heyy.... is that a different cat?" And when maintenance comes you could always close one in a bedroom. It's for a good cause.. or shall I say claws?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The good thing is that they dont know your cats like you do. So, especially if two look somewhat similar, they're not going to walk by your window and be like "Heyy.... is that a different cat?" And when maintenance comes you could always close one in a bedroom. It's for a good cause.. or shall I say claws?
Well unfortunately all 3 cats look different. We have an orange tabby, grey tabby and solid black. If they looked similar it would make life easier lol. But yes I'm just hoping my black kitty stays in ninja stealth mode. My orange one isn't scared of strangers. But if someone walks in with loud work boots it tends to scare the grey tabby and black cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whimsikitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as they're well cared for, have proper vet visits and vaccinations, and each of them are played with and given time with one another equally I don't think there is too many. Just no hoarders, the way they care for their animals makes me sick to my stomach.
Agreed!

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three is my limit. I worry too much about being able to provide for them if something goes wrong, or they get sick. My biggest fear is not being able to pay for their vet bills. This is the highest number I'm willing to risk: for their health, and mine.