How Long Left? Please Help

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My aunt's cat recently became pregnant and origanlly she was going to take her to the shelter but I offered to take her instead. She's about 1 1/2 years old and im really confused about how long she has left.
I booked an appointment for the vets but the next available date they had was 2 weeks from now. I've researched a lot online yet haven't had much help diagnosing how far along she is. I've attached some pictures, she doesn't like me getting near her belly so it was hard getting good pictures of her nipples. I also have a male neutered cat in the house. They both love each other and are inseparable. I've put a few cardboard boxes lined with blankets around the house but she doesnt seem interested, instead my male cat goes to sleep in them.
Screenshot_20180310-210310.png
There are times she eats a lot but then some time she's completely not interested. I read I should feed her kitten food so I bought royal canins mother and baby dry food but she's not interested and doesn't eat so I end up having to give Felix wet food. I just want to make sure I'm prepared and everything goes well.
I've found 6 potential new homes for the kittens, all good friends and family of mine so I can make sure they go to good homes when old enough.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of the pictures never showed up I'm sorry I'm new at this website and don't fully understand how to use it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!
Do you know what I should do about her eating because as soon as I give her kitten food she refuses it and only wants her regular food. Should I leave the kitten food out for her even if she doesn't eat it. Or should I give her, her regular food again?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she will only eat adult food, then feed her what she will eat. She needs the nutrition.

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you will do that.
Also do you think it will be okay if she's around my other cat who's male, bare in mind he is neutured they both are always together. I wouldn't do it if any of them are at risk but just asking because I wouldn't want to separate them if no risk.
Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure everything goes well

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you very much

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's no reason to separate them, but once she goes into labor I would not keep him nearby as he could be curious and you don't want him causing any disruption, stress, or chaos. As long as he doesn't mess with the kittens after they're born then his relationship with the mom sounds very sweet and comforting for her.

It sounds like you've tried giving her dry kitten food but you should try giving her wet kitten food before abandoning kitten food completely. There's tons of different ones on the market and if you could find one she likes it would be best, especially if she has a large litter it will be really draining on her and the extra calories help. Also adding kitten milk replacer to her water will give her extra nutrients as well, if she'll take it.

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, much appreciated. Is there any wet kitten food you would recommend and I've been feeding her KMR by mixing it with the dry food but I'll try adding it to her water instead as you suggested and see if she'll take that. I've booked the vets appointment but it's two Mondays from now and I'm worried she might give birth before hand. Her stomach isn't that big so I think she'll probably only have 3-4 kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fancy Feast makes a tuna and a chicken wet kitten food that is excellent.

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agree Fancy Feasts kitten foods tend to be popular with cats. My go-to with nursing moms/kittens is Royal Canin Babycat soft food, because it is extremely soft and kittens wean well onto it, plus moms seem to like the taste. That said, it's expensive and the quality doesn't even reflect the price, so I can't give it too strong of an endorsement, I just know that it has been a safe choice for me. I would buy a few different ones to offer, cats have so much variation in their preferences, what works for one may not work for another. I know Blue has a variety pack kitten food with different flavors that you could try too. If she has a preference for one type of meat (chicken vs fish vs turkey etc), definitely try to find a kitten food with that same base. If she doesn't like fish flavored food I wouldn't start her on it, as there's a higher incidence of allergies to fish foods and the quality of fish used in cat food is worse than meat.

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys me again!
I just found a little discharge coming out of Zoe's downstairs she cleaned it off before I could take a pic but I've attached a picture for someone else's thread. It looked just like this but only a little droplet. Does this mean she's in Labour? Shes still been active and is showing no other signs of labour not even nesting. I'm really confused

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Discharge is generally seen in the days leading up to labor. My cat had discharge for a good 3 days prior to delivery. She’s getting there!

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's that far into her pregnancy!? I thought she still had 2-3 weeks left. Thank you though now I know to be prepared

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your aunt have any idea when she mated? If she’s not due, I would be worried about infection. Do you feel the kittens kicking?

Bellaandtrixsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya just seen this...best way to tell or how i have found out in the past is if shes leaking milk or if you gently squeeze her nipple and milk comes through she will give birth within 48 hours..discharge may mean shes in labour or it may mean there are complications put her near a box or where u want her to give birth and leave her with food if she doesnt deliver with 24 hours id suggest u take her straight to a vet..her breathing will be rapid and she pant with her mouth open if shes in labour

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She won't let me near her belly at all so I can't really check properly. My aunt didn't even know she was pregnant until I noticed it. After your replies I rushed her to the vets and described to the vet what is saw but the discharge has stopped so he said not to worry about it. He didn't do an x-ray or scan just palpitations and said she's not got long left, about a week. What I don't understand is why she's showing no proper signs she's not showing any proper signs to show she's due soon. She's eating fine, still playing with smudge (my other cat) and she's not even going in her nesting boxes even though I've made five.

Seema

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vets said she's got about a week left yet I haven't seen the kittens moving yet. Should I be worried?