how do i attract a cat to come near me

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my neighbours cat comes into my garden, and when i go near him, he sometimes runs away

not always, but sometimes he does

Im thinking if i keep some dried mint in my pocket, he will come near me more often than not

Would that work

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, do you think your neighbors would appreciate you interacting with their cat? If you don't know, it's probably best that you leave the kitty alone.

However, gaining a tame cat's trust can simply be done with time. Never pursue the cat, let it keep it's distance until it decides to approach you, and simply talk to it pleasantly - a friendly gentle voice works well for most kitties. Squat or sit down, if you stand over a cat that doesn't know you that can appear threatening to them.

And most importantly, never feed their cat unless they ask you to. You have no idea if the cat has any sort of food sensitivities.

Cat nip won't do much unless the cat is very near or rolling in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what if i sprinkle the mint on my fingers and hold my fingers out

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt it.

You have to consider too that many cats have NO reaction to 'nip and many others have an adverse reaction (very much like a bad trip).

In general I find sitting down, being quiet, and NOT looking at the cat seems to be friendly gestures to the kitty, so you're not as big, loud, or threatening.

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
does any noise work ? like a cat whistle or something

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fuggles

does any noise work ? like a cat whistle or something
No, that will scare it away. How come you're so keen to get the cat to come to you?? It will come to you if it wants to - that's the joy of cats - you can't make them do anything!

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes but i want to stroke it

I suppose some of the fun is in the chase, I like a challenge sometimes.

Also, he sort of hides behind a mesh fence, so I can see him but i cant stroke him, I just have to wait for him to come to me.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Trust me... chasing a cat will only stress the cat out. Again, Why are you so set on petting a cat that isn't yours?

Don't chase a cat because doesn't want to be close to you. If you chase it, you're just going to make problems for yourself. It runs because it doesn't trust you yet and if you chase it, it will never trust you. And if you chase it and back it into a corner, there's a good chance you will be walking away with quite a few scratches (at least if it's not declawed).

And why do you want to pet this cat so bad? If a cat doesn't come near me I don't feel inclined to try to pet it. If the cat trusts me enough, I wouldn't say no to playing with it and giving it a belly rub but I wouldn't even try to touch a cat that doesn't completely trust me. So what's so special about your neighbor's cat?

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he doesnt mind, he sees me petting it and rubbing his belly

jeffery1949

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your neighbor's cat is coming into your yard, try food. Or, request that your neighbor keep its cat inside. The average lifespan of an outside kitty is only 2 years.
Jeffery1949

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
why only 2 years

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually what a vet in the United States will tell you, that if you add the word "outdoor" to a description of a cat, that you should subtract about 5 years from it's lifespan. But with that said, you will find people in other countries where letting a cat outside is the norm and their cats live well beyond 2 years, and in fact live a normal life span. There are more dangers to a cat that lives outside, and some cats do not fair well living outside.

It all comes down to how well the cat is cared for. I've cared for feral cats that have lived outside for 15 years because their needs are cared for with good food, shelter from the weather and predators, etc.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

why only 2 years
Well think about it. If a cat doesn't have a place to live in, it could be attacked by other animals, it could get hit by a car, it could catch a cold and since it wouldn't have a vet to go to it could die from it, etc. There are so many dangers that cats with homes are shielded from and cats without homes are subjected to.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

he doesnt mind, he sees me petting it and rubbing his belly
If your neighbor truly doesn't mind then go ask him if it's ok for you to give kitty treats. Then ask what his favorites are and use those to "bribe" kitty.

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its not an outdoor cat

its a cat owned by someone who lets it out at certain times of the day

do cat owners keep the cat indoors 24 /7

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

its not an outdoor cat

Many of our members have indoor only cats (yes, inside 24/7) and they are only out if they happen to sneak out on their own but they are not willingly or knowingly let out. I live in an apartment complex on a busy street so for my cats safety I do not ever let them out. They could get stolen, run over, eat something toxic, get into a fight with another animal... there is just way too much out there that could hurt them.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

its not an outdoor cat

Many do, especially in areas with high traffic or predators (including big dogs.)

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is that healthy for the cats to be indoors 24 / 7

also, some people have cat flaps which instantly lead into the road, or garden, or both,