How Do I Accept The Fact That My Cat Does Not Like To Cuddle?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's probably scared as she's been abandoned so many times before it sounds ! She's probably thinking you will do the same ! My kitten doesn't sit on my lap nor is she overalls affectionate and we are probably the only people she has known . However she is always by our side, I see hubby walking around and a tail in the air following him ! Gracie's greets us at the door Lying on her back and sees us off every morning at the window . She waits until the lights are off at night and I feel her jump up on the bed and she sleeps at my feet. Even now on laid on the bed as not feeling well (that time of the month ) and she's next to me cleaning herself and will no doubt have a sleep. I do cuddle her much to her annoyance once a day (I pick her up like a baby) however she is toleranting it or maybe starting to like it . I managed 2 minutes yesterday ! I wouldn't suggest that now as I've been doing it since she was a few weeks and boy did she used to snap at me !

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
grats! taking it slowly and building up to the cuddles is a good thing. If you are thinking right that's a few seconds, that's enough then you are teaching her that you won't smother her. That's great! You should be able to build a relationship with her over time and before you even realise it she will be seeking you out for a quick pet and a cuddle before just getting on with what she needs to do. Food ( like you have been doing) is a really good way to bring her interest to you. you can lay down with a few treats on you ( This probably sounds totally wierd). If she's food motivated she will come to eat the treats and associate contact with you with the reward of tasty food. I suggest a dry treat ( dreamies etc) that won't soak into your clothes but if you really want to go nuts, try small tuna pieces or some mackerel. I'd then burn those clothes though, because you will stink. :fireblob:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie walked on my lap earlier today and for a second I thought she was going to lie down for a cuddle... Then realised she was using me as a stepping stone to get to my make up bag which I had left open !

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gracie walked on my lap earlier today and for a second I thought she was going to lie down for a cuddle... Then realised she was using me as a stepping stone to get to my make up bag which I had left open !
Just shows how relaxed she is around you;)

Mine use me as a stepping stone to one another when they are playing chase too. ouch.

David1953

My current furbaby, Simba
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a 2 yr. old male cat from a rescue group. His elderly lady owner passed away and the deceased lady's relative took over caring for him. The problem is the lady had dogs and the cat did not get along with them, so this lady took the cat back to his original home and fed and cared for him in that empty home. He was reported to be SUPER friendly and when I first saw him at a rescue adoption event, he was very easy to pet and get to know. But when I did adopt him and took him home, he started to bite me when I tried to pet him. I read all about petting induced aggression and tried all the methods to correct it, like not petting when he gives me signs of annoyance, tail thumping, etc. He seems to be fine in every area, eats/drinks well, used his litter box, loves to play with me, etc. Even sleeps sometimes near me but never on me. Very seldom he will nudge my hand and purr, and will be able to scratch his head, but only briefly, then he attacks my hand and bites. I talk to him all the time in soothing tones, when he bites, I immediately leave and ignore him. I am doing all the things experts say to stop this biting. He also rolls on his back and exposes his belly and after one mistake I made to reach down and pet him, learned this was not a petting invite. My other cats of 17 and 14 years never did this...always allowed me to pet them and hold them. Just don't know why this new cat is not. I really miss the cuddle buddies and want to enjoy this cat, which I do to a large extent, but sure HIGHLY want to be able to at LEAST pet him more and hopefully cuddle with him on my lap, etc. Just so frustrating not to be able to show all the love and affection I have for him after losing my sweet Livvy to cancer over a few months. I need that love returned so much after that devastating ordeal I just went through with Livvy. Thanks!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a 2 yr. old male cat from a rescue group. His elderly lady owner passed away and the deceased lady's relative took over caring for him. The problem is the lady had dogs and the cat did not get along with them, so this lady took the cat back to his original home and fed and cared for him in that empty home. He was reported to be SUPER friendly and when I first saw him at a rescue adoption event, he was very easy to pet and get to know. But when I did adopt him and took him home, he started to bite me when I tried to pet him. I read all about petting induced aggression and tried all the methods to correct it, like not petting when he gives me signs of annoyance, tail thumping, etc. He seems to be fine in every area, eats/drinks well, used his litter box, loves to play with me, etc. Even sleeps sometimes near me but never on me. Very seldom he will nudge my hand and purr, and will be able to scratch his head, but only briefly, then he attacks my hand and bites. I talk to him all the time in soothing tones, when he bites, I immediately leave and ignore him. I am doing all the things experts say to stop this biting. He also rolls on his back and exposes his belly and after one mistake I made to reach down and pet him, learned this was not a petting invite. My other cats of 17 and 14 years never did this...always allowed me to pet them and hold them. Just don't know why this new cat is not. I really miss the cuddle buddies and want to enjoy this cat, which I do to a large extent, but sure HIGHLY want to be able to at LEAST pet him more and hopefully cuddle with him on my lap, etc. Just so frustrating not to be able to show all the love and affection I have for him after losing my sweet Livvy to cancer over a few months. I need that love returned so much after that devastating ordeal I just went through with Livvy. Thanks!
Be patient.

Let us know how it goes after a week or a month.

They do warm up to you gradually. Remember, you've taken him from his familiar home and put him in a strange new place, with strange new (old) cats.

He has some adjusting to do.

Give him the time.

Again, let us know!

David1953

My current furbaby, Simba
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I have had Simba for 2 weeks and there are no other cats in my home. My last baby had to be set free from cancer about 3 weeks ago. I guess me and Simba both have a lot of adjusting to do. Thanks again.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I have had Simba for 2 weeks and there are no other cats in my home. My last baby had to be set free from cancer about 3 weeks ago. I guess me and Simba both have a lot of adjusting to do. Thanks again.
How about a picture of Simba?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the photo of the kitty on the guitar....cute!
It's not my picture, but thanks!

Below is a picture of my problem kitty, Big Boy, who's a semi-monster Maine Coon mix but paranoid about everything till after dark.

He gave me a bit of knowledge to help with something like this. When I first got him a year ago, he hid all the time. (Also call him Mr. Hide.)

Now he comes out after dark and sits in the bedroom with me, and sleeps right next to me.

Last edited: