how did your cat get his/her name?? and post a picture!!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember how I settled on Phoebe for her name, obviously I liked the sound but I don't remember more details. My cats' names don't have more significance than that, I never name them after humans.

A606F506-F1A9-43B4-98B5-629BBE841E8A.jpeg

Daisy was her shelter name, the only one I've kept - I'd fancied calling a cat Daisy but at the time wasn't adopting another.

2899007E-0E99-44D3-8E56-ADA371A2147D.jpeg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted this beautiful girl from the local animal shelter they told me what her name was but she never responded to it or even acted like she knew the name. (She was also reportedly abused badly 😢)anyway when we brought her she settled in so quick and loved to lay with us for cuddles and love. After a few days of her talking to us all day every day it was official Gabby because she is a very vocal girl. ❤ 😺

Attachments

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is my _girl_ Henry because they told me she was a boy. By the time I figured out she was a girl it was her name, so I guess it’s short for Henrietta! I just prefer people names for my kitties. No particular reason I chose Henry, just liked it. She is 18 years old now. Her brother Jack crossed the bridge 7 years ago.

Attachments

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Peaches, we had a few fruity and non fruity names in mind and she didn’t suit any of them when we saw her. Then we thought of Peaches and it just suited her. We love her being called Peaches and we like to think she does too as she always comes to her name!
4D7F03A6-BCC8-4463-A031-ADFB4674954E.jpeg

Mango - Following the fruit theme, Peaches and Mango went together well and his colouring suits!
683E50DA-D220-4909-8374-2DC465CB00B0.jpeg

Blueberry, or Bluey - we kept the theme and also his colour suits the name
CDC9443F-5D6B-4B4B-B409-B002FC69D0DD.jpeg

Rhubarb, or Rhu as she’s always called instead. Blue’s sister so Blue and Rhu went together well and keeping in theme 😉😂
E4F8464E-81AD-495B-B6D6-412DE36DE2B1.jpeg

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg
I chose Chloe for the tortoiseshell, because she was so cute and tiny, it sounded like a cute little girl‘s name. Next to her is her mother Penny. We chose it for her color and because we were currently watching The Big Bang Theory, so it was on my mind. Below is Chloe’s brother Fizzbin. Our favorite episode of Star Trek the Original Series is “A Piece of the Action “, where Captain Kirk makes up a card game called Fizzbin, to distract the guards so they can escape. I always thought it would be a great name for a pet, so I had that name ready for years.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_20230623_114242697.jpg

Our new family member came to us through a feral rescue (though we suspect she was an abandoned pet) and the young man in her foster house named her Freyja. He said it was because she was so full of love.

After that story, I didn't have the heart to change her name. ❤ It also suits our household, as we are a fan of all myths.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella was brought in to my Vets office with 4 other tortie siblings at around 2wks old-she and one sister held on to each other from day one-I was there when a distraught woman brought them in a shoe box after she witnessed the Mama get killed by a car they were the only 2 that survived

An Vet tech volunteered to care for them and foster until weaned then brought them to the office for adoption....everyone wanted them
adopted as a bonded pair,they were inseparable BUT no one was interested in the dark one with the funny markings they called her Eleanor--- "the ugly one"

Eleanor would just scream and cry when anyone tried to separate the 2,she was fearful of everyone,would scream bloody murder and did not want to be held- the only time she was quiet was embracing her sister

I thought Eleanor was adorable,my 18yr old Cheech was very ill and fading fast and I had just adopted little Graycie from my Vet because I knew I'd be losing my boy of 18 yrs and couldn't fathom an empty home without him-'so I'd seen little Eleanor many times as I was constantly there with my very sick boy----I was the only person little Eleanor was not terrified of and I held her many times- I said if anyone adopts one I'll take the other but I really preferred Eleanor

Sorry this is so long but it's the story how she got her name- the day I brought Cheech in to say GoodBye was the worst day of my life-I was leaving with an empty carrier and hysterical crying... something was very odd because the entire staff was behind the front desk but I was too distraught to see what was going on--' suddenly a little kitten came barreling past everyone and leaped onto my chest wrapping her little arms around my neck and hiding her face under my chin -As I peeled her off of me I realized who it was and said" Uhhhh,Bella-do you want to come home with me"

What seemed so odd,what I didn't know was the other was adopted,little Bella slipped out of the Cafe and it had been over an hour they were all trying to catch her....

Nope,she was beautiful and should be named Bella.... here she was and here she is- my Bella,who chose me first

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella was brought in to my Vets office with 4 other tortie siblings at around 2wks old-she and one sister held on to each other from day one-I was there when a distraught woman brought them in a shoe box after she witnessed the Mama get killed by a car they were the only 2 that survived

An Vet tech volunteered to care for them and foster until weaned then brought them to the office for adoption....everyone wanted them
adopted as a bonded pair,they were inseparable BUT no one was interested in the dark one with the funny markings they called her Eleanor--- "the ugly one"

Eleanor would just scream and cry when anyone tried to separate the 2,she was fearful of everyone,would scream bloody murder and did not want to be held- the only time she was quiet was embracing her sister

I thought Eleanor was adorable,my 18yr old Cheech was very ill and fading fast and I had just adopted little Graycie from my Vet because I knew I'd be losing my boy of 18 yrs and couldn't fathom an empty home without him-'so I'd seen little Eleanor many times as I was constantly there with my very sick boy----I was the only person little Eleanor was not terrified of and I held her many times- I said if anyone adopts one I'll take the other but I really preferred Eleanor

Sorry this is so long but it's the story how she got her name- the day I brought Cheech in to say GoodBye was the worst day of my life-I was leaving with an empty carrier and hysterical crying... something was very odd because the entire staff was behind the front desk but I was too distraught to see what was going on--' suddenly a little kitten came barreling past everyone and leaped onto my chest wrapping her little arms around my neck and hiding her face under my chin -As I peeled her off of me I realized who it was and said" Uhhhh,Bella-do you want to come home with me"

What seemed so odd,what I didn't know was the other was adopted,little Bella slipped out of the Cafe and it had been over an hour they were all trying to catch her....

Nope,she was beautiful and should be named Bella.... here she was and here she is- my Bella,who chose me first
And no-Bella was not being scruffed- the Vets assistant grabbed her scruff as I had peeled her off me with my hand under her little butt- they were going to put her back in the cage when I said- put her in my carrier and I'll take her

They thought I wasn't thinking clearly & kept saying " if you change your mind just bring her back",.. I said " she's not a an appliance,I won't be returning her once she's home"

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patches was supposed to be called Tac, I already had a cat called Tik at the time
20230714_081236.jpg
20230721_214739.jpg
20230714_074115.jpg
and thought Tik and Tac would go well. Patches had other ideas he wouldn't respond to Tac so I asked him what he wanted and started saying names. When I said Patches he came straight to me purring so Patches it was. Bandit was named by my hubby I was going to name him coal, but the moment my hubby said Bandit I thought it was a better name for him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Patches was supposed to be called Tac, I already had a cat called Tik at the time View attachment 455878View attachment 455879View attachment 455880and thought Tik and Tac would go well. Patches had other ideas he wouldn't respond to Tac so I asked him what he wanted and started saying names. When I said Patches he came straight to me purring so Patches it was. Bandit was named by my hubby I was going to name him coal, but the moment my hubby said Bandit I thought it was a better name for him.
Love this story---I always ask my animals what they like too in the same way.... except Bella,she needed to know she was not the "funny looking" one or ugly cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gilmour, Maui and Jenade are three lovely cats. 😻 BTW, my husband and I love hockey too. There is an old thread with a similar theme that I thought I would add to this one: How did you choose your cat's name?
thank you :) yay for hockey!! 🏒 oh i did not see that,thank you. im still learning how to get around on this site :lol: