Hey REMEMBER..................

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a bright lime green bedroom with one wall covered with cork. On it which I hung posters of Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy and then Jay Osmond.

This is a local thing but I remember when WLS Chicago - An AM station played the best music around . I remember American Top 40, trying to stay awake until 11:00 or 12:00 to hear the #1 song for the week. I used to write every single song down in order and for some reason still have in a box somewhere in my basement a top 40 list I wrote down from 1972.

I remember when 25 cents bought 25 pieces of candy. I loved Pixie Stix, Zots and trying to see if you could fit a whole thing of Bubs Daddy into your mouth and blow a bubble bigger than your head.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah you've just brought my memories back when you mention the french skips with elastic bands, i loved them
They gave you exercise alright!

And i used to have an original Sindy as well
My mum gave it to her friends daughter when i out grew dolls and i was annoyed because it would be worth a fortune now!.

Oh and Chris The Osmonds!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

Sarah you've just brought my memories back when you mention the french skips with elastic bands, i loved them
They gave you exercise alright!

And i used to have an original Sindy as well
My mum gave it to her friends daughter when i out grew dolls and i was annoyed because it would be worth a fortune now!.
Susan, French Skipping certainly gave you excercise!! *phew* I remember asking my Mum for a length of elastic and then promptly losing it on my way to school!!

I have a couple of original Sindys! My cousin gave me one when I was small, then when she realised they were worth something, she asked for it back
I loved Paula (!!) and I refused to give her back!

Actually, I still have all my Sindys and Barbies and My little Pony, Sulvanian Families, Trolls....!! Gosh, I am certainly a hoarder!!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyKook

I remember those! Gosh I haven't thought about klackers in years! I think mine were orange also!! They would probably be outlawed these days.....you could kill someone with those things!

And Trolls.....oh yes Mary Anne.....I had a nice collection of troll dolls!
I loved those things. I remember my parents, cousins someone said they exploded and that's why they took them off the market. I fell for it then, but now it doesn't make too much sense.

Do you guys remember this thing? It was a ring that you stuck your foot in and it had a plastic tube attached to it and a big plastic bell on the end. You caused it to swing around in a circle and you'd have to jump with your other foot. Maybe that is what Susan called a "french skip"?

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a doll named "Chrissy" . You pressed her belly button and could make her ponytail long (like down to her knees) or short. One of the first things I did was a cut her hair. Sorta defeats the purpose of having a doll who's hair could "grow"

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

Do you guys remember this thing? It was a ring that you stuck your foot in and it had a plastic tube attached to it and a big plastic bell on the end. You caused it to swing around in a circle and you'd have to jump with your other foot. Maybe that is what Susan called a "french skip"?
We called those 'Skip-its' I loved those!! Then they developed them into the ones that had counters on to tell you how many times you skipped!! (I only had the one with the bell!!)

French Skipping is where you have two people and they have a loop of elastic around their legs (or ankles) and another person will jump into the middle and over the elastic and onto it! (?!) Sounds pretty silly now!!

Sometimes you would sing rhymes too!

Maybe Susan can explain a bit better?!! Susan??

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats right!, a bag of multi coloured elestic bands that you would loop together with a person at either end with basically one big rubber band around their ankles, then someone would jump forward then back then sidewards then back(I can't believe i did this!
)Then the elestica would be put to their knees and you would do the same, then up to their waist, then their shoulders!
Eventually you looked like someone doing the can can!

I remember those hoops as well!. My hoop was yellow but mine had a fluorescent pink ball on the end

Oh and what about "Clackers"? two small solid plastic balls on string that you held at the top and slowly started banging them together and got the speed up so that they would bang against each other. The bruises i had on my wrists if they missed each other

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

I had a bright lime green bedroom with one wall covered with cork. On it which I hung posters of Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy and then Jay Osmond.
I remember when 25 cents bought 25 pieces of candy. I loved Pixie Stix, Zots and trying to see if you could fit a whole thing of Bubs Daddy into your mouth and blow a bubble bigger than your head.
I had cork on my bedroom wall too!
And I loved Zots! I also loved the Lik Ems....which I think they still have. And Bottle Caps....

Oh yes....and the Chrissy doll! And the skip thing!

I also remember having to beat the TV to get a clear picture like Katboy said! Once my little brother got so mad that he threw his Tonka firetruck through the TV screen and broke it altogether!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of TV, remember when there was no remote control? And only three stations?!..

I had this toy, it was a wheel with little magnetic points on the outside, and a wire handle that allowed it to roll around via the magnets and do flips and such, does anyone remember what those were called?

I remember being madly in "love" with Bo and Luke Duke.......
And who else remembers those beehive hairdos?! we have the cutest picture of me and my mom, I was about 6, all dressed up and she had done both of our hair up in a beehive for the photo....scary!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Chatty Cathy, going to the drive-in in my big brother's Merc Woody, Link Wray,The Ventures and Dick Dale records, The Dobie Gillis Show, The Munsters, Ed Sullivan presenting The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. OMG!!!!! I am ancient!!!!!!
I remember rushing home from school to see our first color tv, then discovering my favorite show, Dark Shadows, was still in black and white. It went to color soon after, but it wasn't the same.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh i had a Chatty Cathy as well!!!!. You pulled the string in her back and she would speak and walk

I was snooping around looking for christmas presents when i saw a huge green and white checked box under my parents bed and it was the doll
She was nearly as big as me as well

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember 45's my sister had a huge collection of them, and we used to sit on the living room floor and listen to stacks and stacks of these records. Leslie Gore, the Supremes were always my favorites. I remember having to get up to change the channel of the television, and also I remember the Ed Sullivan Show, Lawrence Welk and the King Family Hour.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

French Skipping is where you have two people and they have a loop of elastic around their legs (or ankles) and another person will jump into the middle and over the elastic and onto it! (?!) Sounds pretty silly now!!

Sometimes you would sing rhymes too!

Maybe Susan can explain a bit better?!! Susan??
We used to call them Chinese jump ropes. I played that all the time...right up until the time I fell and broke my arm!

Remember Romper Room?
Starsky and Hutch...I was in loooove with Starsky!

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

Did you guys watch Hee Haw?
I Loved Hee Haw. I especially liked when they'd do the skits in the Corn Field or whatever it was.

Speaking of Remembering TV Shows...

The A Team
Tales from the Crypt back when it was good.
The Twilight Zone
Remington Steel
Moonlighting
Scarecrow and Miss King
Maginum PI
Fragile Rock (I just bought two DVDS of Fragile Rock I saw them at the store and couldn't resist.)
School House Rock (I bought the box set...my cousin's little kids love to watch them now.)
Wonderwoman (Live Action)
The Incredible Hulk (Live Action)
Spiderman (Like Action)
The Greatest American Super Hero or what ever it was called.
Alf
Knight Rider
Family Ties
Growing Pains
Those Horrid Afterschool Specials

And I remember begging my Mom to let me stay up and watch Hill Street Blues when I was a kid. I loved the theme song.

I remember when we first got cable it was that box that sit on top of the TV and had the switch that slide along the numbers. I'm probably not describing it very well but I remember being very excited we got cable.

And I remember getting our first VCR, it was huge and right after that I record Splash off the TV and watched that movie over and over again because we didn't have any VHS tapes to watch other than it.

I used to have a doll that would walk behind her stroller if you had her hold it. She was a great doll though I don't remember her name.

I remember when ET came out at the movies and you were a total geek if you didn't see it.