Help with pregnant kitty

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you by any chance get in the basement to get them all?

This is another one of those sad situations where the mom is either owned and neglected and relegated to the basement, or she took up there.

I want you to get them; it just needs to be mom and all the kittens. Is there a way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I was already in the house I broke in is how I know that the kitten is in there. That's what I'm saying is I have a limited amount of time to be able to get in and out otherwise it's considered trespassing and the people that obviously go there will not be saying. There are multiple no trespassing and orange Mark signs around the property so therefore if they use deadly force it would be okay. What I let her out I stuck around for a minute and she called the babies and only one answered. I almost caught it and it's very large at least three pounds I would say so they are relatively older kittens. I didn't hear or see any other ones and it slipped out of my hand before I could reach it

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are three pounds and 3 months old, I would go ahead and trap whoever you can get. Set humane traps a safe distance from the house.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes these kittens are definitely bigger than my chihuahua puppy who is about 3 pounds right now. I have no idea how many there are for sure which is a problem. I do believe they are old enough they should know how to eat on their own so if I did catch them it shouldn't be a problem at all. The hardest part is going to be determining how many there are. I'm trying to call our Humane Society and see if they will rent more live traps to me as I bought one but feel like I should put more out and I know they do it for a deposit typically

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm confused. Are the kittens inside the house? If so, how are they going in and out?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They r in the house. Mom jumps in and out the window

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, that means the kittens can get in and out too eventually.

What's your game plan? At least these are not tiny babies, but they clearly are still nursing mom.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I called humane society they said just use live traps and take whoever I can as I get them. Do they need the mom? They acted like they didn't and I should take her and just feed them and trap them since I am not supposed to be there. Idk what I should do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if the kittens are still relying solely on mom's milk, or if they are being fed food.

I would set traps with food and see who you get. That or just start feeding the mom to see if she brings the kittens out so you can get a head count.

Does that guy down the street have any idea if the residents of the home feed the cat or kittens? Or any clue how many kittens there are?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are no actual residents of the home. They are simple drug addicts who use it to do whatever they're doing there occasionally. Nobody has ever seen the kittens however he knows that there are kittens because of how the mom looks. He said his grandkids were actually trying to catch them yesterday but no one could find them. And the reason why being that they are actually inside of the house and the children are obviously not allowed inside of a home like that. I live in an older part of the city where there are lots and lots of abandoned properties and it's hard to say whether the people that go there to do drugs and such actually own the house or if they are merely squatters using the premises for their own needs. This is the reason that it is time sensitive that I try to find them now because it there's no telling what happens to them especially if those people find them in there because she may or may not have been living in there very long

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start trapping any cats you can get now. They obviously need to be removed from this environment.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's kind of where I'm at with it. The babies should obviously be old enough to fend for themselves correct? In order to live trap them I will have to remove the mom or all I'm going to keep catching his her for sure. If they eat on their own then they will come to the Trap right if I have to remove the mom when they are hungry because they're probably used to her bringing them stuff right?? There are camel crickets in abundance there so I would assume the mom has been teaching them to eat those but I would also presume that she is out hunting for them as I would also presume that she is out hunting for them as that's probably how I found her in front of my house.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you set traps for the kittens in the basement?

Or put food on the windowsill, then start moving it further away to the traps?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can set 1 trap because nowhere will loan them. That's all I can afford is the one I bought this morning. So I take mom and start setting traps right? Idk what else to do because I can't obviously go there at night, or by myself typically considering the situation. I can put one in the house now and take her out I suppose and see what happens. If i don't get any then I can put it right outside or something and eventually they should come

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Should I put cat food or like salmon and fishy things in it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use cat food since we don't know if the kittens have ever eaten anything besides mom's milk and bugs or rodents.

Resort to smelly things if wet food does not work.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I have mom, and I didn't get anything in the trap so I removed it for the night. Tomorrow I'm going to take it back and hopefully get something. Poor kitties, I just hope they come to the food tomorrow. If not I'll try the mom behind the trap in the cage again like it says on the feral cat site. I just hope they come and quickly before the people come back

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I went and there r 3 adorable babies who belong to her. They were all outside and I'm hoping that I catch them soon as today the guy who helped me find them said someone called the cops apparently cause they showed up over there after we had left. I dropped the trap with a can of food on a lid and i am waiting an hour to go back with mom as it will be dark here soon. I let her out last time and she stuck around anf called them until I went close to where they were and she went and jumped out the window. Hopefully the over abundance of food I give her she will call them to eat if I have already fed her before we go? I'm really in a tight spot as I do not want to be arrested for trespassing

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need all the brightest ideas anyone has as to how to get them all quickly. I was trying to devise a plan as to how to get mom to feed them in a cage so I could close the door on them but idk if it would even be possible. I was thinking of perhaps putting the dog cage in there with her in it in a harness but she would have to be tied to the cage and I doubt that will work for her to call them. Not only that it seems mean being she's a really big sweetheart. Shes just been fed an over abundance of both dry and wet food and I am going to take some dry and wet for them to hopefully eat if she calls them. Should I put it in a cage? The trap? Or just on the floor and bring a blanket or something to throw on them? What r the best ideas and options here? I told the neighbor what I was doing to hopefully buy some more time but idk if it was her calling the police or not. Ugh, such a mess!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There r 4 a neighbor said, I c