Help with pregnant kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank u ceedge, I couldn't have made it without the people here that's for sure though. I called and they said that it's normal as long as it isn't getting a green or yellowish color. She had more today. It really doesn't seem red (she's a black cat, so it's a bit harder to tell) and it doesn't seem swollen. Those people just want more and more money. They told me i needed a fecal test before her spay (I may have lied and said she had one at another vet), then the vet herself called and said she wanted to put in an iv catheter for $40, and do $66 in blood work to make sure she didn't have other problems before her spay. Acted like I was a bad parent if I didn't do it, so I told them to do the bloodwork since I thought it might come in handy later. She said she would rather do the iv in case they had a problem. So I paid for that too. They always try and get u there. They told my mom $3000 for acl surgery on her dog, and ended up taking him to the cheap vet and they did it for under 775. They have a really good manner with them is the only reason I ever go back. The cheap ones r rushing and kinda jerks sometimes but they don't overcharge or con me into things I don't need. Catniss is full of it now, so I think she just needed some other food to eat to spring back (apparently we r changing foods again). Keep your fingers crossed that she heals up quickly cause idk how much more either of us can take.
1505576097638983304931.jpg
The incision ... and her new favorite position to lay
15055761575691441487907.jpg

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So when I took Mama Kitty and to get her I looked at I asked about her distemper shot because it is expiring at the end of this month. They said that she doesn't need a distemper even because she's an indoor cat. She has a three-year rabies shot that's still good so my question is do I need to give a distemper or no? The expensive vet said I don't need to give leukemia shot because the probability of her getting leukemia is lower than her getting cysts and complications from the shot however I was never told by anyone not to get a distemper until now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't do them because my cats are 100% indoor, and had all their vaccines as kittens.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I don't need to do anything but rabies then? Bob and catniss will still get the distemper because they go outside ar my moms, but if I don't need to then I'm going to stop giving them to the rest of them. I assume its best to keep giving it to them just in case. As long as the dogs r all up to date they shouldn't be able to give the cats anything them right? Can they get anything but the rabies from a mouse? We get them sometimes, just need to cover all the bases before I decide.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of a distemper being good for 3 years, but rabies are.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Catniss peed a ton on her own yesterday while I was at work. I got a giant new water bowl for everyone (hog feeder) and it holds mounds of water so nobody spills it, pees in it(dozer), or lays in it (bob). I think they all drink more because it is always full and I moved it out of the kitchen. I went to make her pee and she had nothing. She did wee all over me the other day in the bed when I left her diaperless (bad mistake). It looks much clearer than it has so perhaps I'll let her do it this way for awhile and get her checked in a few weeks to make sure everything is ok. Been doing it over a puppy pad and one of those good out diaper changers in the bed for now (really need the changing table).

I changed them to 4 health cat food from tsc and it has done wonders for both their poop. Catniss now has more dry balls and bob it isn't so hard and comes out way easier. I think we r going to stick with that. (Bob's could be the dog food cause he constantly eats that when I put it down). Either way they seem to be all doing really well in the last couple days, and bob feels much better since he spent a few hrs flying through the house attacking his brother yesterday. Bob always tries to what I call "fat tick" papa my pit bull (when they rub against u and puff up their back), and idk y him bcz I think it freaks him out and he leaves lol. He loves papa for some reason. He does it to most dogs bit him the most for sure

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't totally picture little bob on a pit. :flail: I'll bet it is hilarious to watch! Go Catniss! You are a blessing to these animals. :angel:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O it is. Yeah, we kind of even each other out a lot of times lol.

Bad news.... catniss has infection in her incision. Grrr. She didn't even lick it! She's got to take pills and come back in a week. I noticed it last night but it's really noticeable today. Poor girl

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's what I was worried about when she was leaking. That's never normal. Poor Catniss. :(

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They said it was. It looked funny this morning and when I got home to take her to get the stitches out it was leaking. I think I just figured out how it got that way too since I have been pondering. I cut a hole in the bathroom door for mama kitty when I first got her to keep papa out of her food and give her a good hiding place. She goes through it and tubs her chubby belly on it in sure. Idk how I didn't think to block the kitty door!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she got stitched up with infection inside her. Regardless, she's on meds now, so hopefully it will clear soon and heal nicely.

I'm wondering if the vet needs to put a drain tube in?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She better not have for what it cost! I am giving her her first pill in just a few minutes and she gets it cleaned every diaper change with chlorhexodine wash. Hopefully it heals quickly. They said they didn't think they needed to open it back up. If they do, odds r likely someone at the cheap vet will be doing it bcz I can't afford what they want there. I just want her healed and back to normal. They did say they did her spay with her diaper still on. U think that caused it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's hard to say, but it's rare for a spay incision to get infected. Did she get poop on it at any point?

I just tend to think it happens when bacteria gets inside, and that's usually DURING the surgery.

Let's hope the pills clear it up.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't believe so. I was very careful to make sure she gets her potty out standing up or on a side when she was really out of it. The day I told u she peed a ton there was a chance of it getting in then I would say, or perhaps even when she peed on me laying on the bed I guess? Idk, there r a billion options I suppose, and I am certain I'll never know. It kinda makes me upset that of all of the animals I've had spayed and neutered in my life (a ton trust me) none have had a problem. This poor kitty is doomed to bad happenings it seems. So, I have to ask so I'm not blind sided if it all goes to disarray, what r the odds of something terrible happening? Or that they will have to open herr back up? It seems to be if it can happen it will to her. Poor baby cant seem to catch a break.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Help! Found new mom kitty and no babies! What do I do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where's the mom now? Where did you find her? How do you know there are no babies?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have her in the dogs cage with everything she needs. I didn't find any babies but it is also dark. I found her walking down the sidewalk by my house. I am not even sure she has had them, or might just be pregnant and making milk but is really skinny. She was yelling walking so I saw her and she came to me when I said something to her.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe she's just pregnant? She's a really skinny blue cat. Ate a ton, and doesn't look like there are any babies in there but idk for sure. Could she just be pregnant and so thin u can't tell? I'm sure she has some kind of milk production happening though

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
krisrath11 krisrath11

Can you post a picture of her?

It sounds like she has already had the babies. Poor gal, starving like that.

I'm concerned if she has kittens out there she needs to get back to them.

You probably need to take her outside and play newborn kitten sounds from YouTube on your phone, and see if it prompts her to go to them, and try to follow her.