Help! Terrified Feral Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's too young to be outdoors right now, but you probably already know that. Have you considered rehoming him?
Yeah, I know. And we have the problem that we're traveling almost all of November and December. We have a person who can give him food and water, etc - but he's not a cat person and he's probably not going to be interested in dealing with an aggressive/scared cat. I'm hoping the kitten will be a lot easier to manage by then.

I'm not sure how we can re-home him in Morocco Most people don't really keep cats indoors (many have cats that wonder in and out of the house though) and since there are so many street cats (far more than you'd find in North America/Europe), I doubt there'd be a huge support system for adopting cats.

I'll ask our vet (our house cats are overdue for a visit) - they'd know best.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think two months of traveling without much human contact will not aid in socializing this kitten. Is there someone who might be able to spend time with the kitten and enjoy it while you are gone?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww----this just breaks my heart----and warms it at the same time that you're willing to help this little one out. It doesn't sound as if he'd survived long without your intervention! And I was going to comment earlier but work (and three foster kittens) got in the way! I think - and it sounds like others agree - - - a large part of his screaming is probably that he was initially absolutely, positively terrified. His posture at the back of the crate definitely makes me feel even more like that. I always tell people that I try to put myself in their "little kitten shoes" when taking in any cat - - but particularly kittens, and even more particularly, little feral babies. Imagine that your mama had raised you telling you that the only way for you to survive was to be fearful ---particularly of the barking ones and the strange big ones that tower over you at 8-9 times your size. These strange, loud, tall alien creatures may bring food, but they can also hurt you - and being scared and running or hiding, and if all else fails, be as intimidating as your little body can be with hissing, spitting, and scratching, is the way your mama tells you to survive around them. After all - they speak a funny, loud language while they tower over us - - trying to grab us. And mamma reminds us from day one we're prey animals, so being scared is what will keep us alive. We now have what was a feral kitty we TNR'd and we brought in several years ago who now loves us with all her heart and has become the lapcat I've never had -- but she still periodically, if startled, will briefly lash out. Hubby and I always say to each other "that quick fear reaction is what kept her alive so she could survive and find us, and be the love of our lives (don't tell our other kitties!).

So I guess my lesson there ----remember this fear has been taught from day one and kept him alive, and only time and repeated actions of love will reverse this ingrained thinking. And sometimes that's a VERY slow process---but sounds like you're already making great progress!!!!

Keeping him in a small area (like your crate) is usually pretty critical in speeding up the socialization process. Yours does seem really small if it won't even fit litter box, food, water, and enough space to sleep and do a bit of moving about. We do start out feral kittens out in a crate - but larger than you have. I know the animal/pet situation is much different for you than in the states - but is it possible to borrow from anyone a slightly larger crate? He obviously needs a litter box at all times - but for a kitten that small - I usually don't even use a regular plastic litter box (even kitten size is big for them). We go to pet/grocery stores and have them hold boxes that are no bigger than 8 x 10 inches and then cut the sides down to about 2 inches tall. Plenty big for him but lots less room in your crate.

Food-wise, he's so small that it sounds like a watered- down pate style kitten food is best, since it'll give him even more liquid. We actually don't water down - we use KMR (kitten milk replacer) for ones that little, and add small amounts of pate kitten food, since he may still be needing to lap his food. I don't know if you have access to any type of kitten milk replacer (it comes in powder that you mix with water, or in pre-mixed cans). And warm his food just a bit - - that will make it smell even more and make it even more enticing.

We also OFTEN rely on what alot of us that work with feral or terrified kitties call "kitty crack" - - (again - I know your access to foods will be different) - -but in the US it's Gerber jarred baby food (Beechnut makes a similar one -but I've always had kittens prefer the Gerber) called "Gerber 2nd Foods Chicken and Chicken Gravy" (the amazon link is below just so that you can see what it looks like). If you don't have access, yo may find something similar where you are - but be very careful any baby foods you purchase have NO ONIONS (they're toxic):

Gerber 2nd Foods Chicken and Chicken Gravy kitty c…

If you lie on the floor outside his crate, and get the longest handled spoon you can find - - - and offer a bit of it on the spoon to him while you constantly gently talk to him (keep it soft and high-pitched), I can almost guarantee he'll be SO lured in by the stinky stuff that he'll lap it off the spoon. Slowly work the spoon closer to you - - and eventually work toward feeding it off your finger to him. I've (knock on wood) yet to have a feral kitten that didn't come around with the help of that stinky stuff!

So think SLOW.....on his level.....talk gently. I wouldn't yet even attempt to expose him to your little ones - - - he's overwhelmed as it is. I also always offer a small "beans baby" type stuffed animal for lone babies to cuddle. Again - not sure what you'd have access to - -- but in the states you can usually order these little animals like that which can be warmed (just slightly!!!!!) in the microwave - - - that can provide alot of comfort. I also keep a radio (or tv) on very low (with classical or something gentle) on most of the time to again, acquaint him with human voices....plus it kind of evens out the sounds you're making as humans (and animals) in other rooms so that he's startled less.

Sorry SO long - - - but I just really wanted to pass along as much info as I could before I fell asleep - - - I hope you can help this little baby over the hump (I really do think the crying will keep lessening as he realizes you're here to comfort and love him. It sounds as though he desperately use your help. His other options just don't sound very good :( And hopefully you can find someone - even though it's a tall order - to take him in and continue socializing him while you're gone.

I hope you keep us posted - - and don't be afraid to lean on this wonderful site and forum. There are lots of wonderful members with lots of advice (and alot who don't write the novels I do - promise!).

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry SO long - - - but I just really wanted to pass along as much info as I could before I fell asleep - - - I hope you can help this little baby over the hump (I really do think the crying will keep lessening as he realizes you're here to comfort and love him. It sounds as though he desperately use your help. His other options just don't sound very good :( And hopefully you can find someone - even though it's a tall order - to take him in and continue socializing him while you're gone.

I hope you keep us posted - - and don't be afraid to lean on this wonderful site and forum. There are lots of wonderful members with lots of advice (and alot who don't write the novels I do - promise!).
Thanks so much for the helpful post! For the crate, we realized that it's better to keep water and food out of it (he spills the water and if he's full, he's not willing to engage us when we bring food). With just a litter box (a small, shallow-ish food container), he has plenty of space to stretch out.

He's been doing OK with the pate as it is. We realized we can re-fill the empty pate container with water because he tries to taste it since it has a smell. But he doesn't always drink - seems like he gets most of his water from the pate itself.

Also, we've been able to feed him by hand - if he's hungry and doesn't have food in his crate, he's willing to risk it to come out and eat it directly from the palm.

We had another friend pass on some advice our way. They had experience with aggressive strays and they sent us this video:
The concept was to basically insist on petting the cat (with protection) and not back down if he bites or slaps or hisses to accelerate socialization.

This actually worked really well. I wore 4 thick socks on my hand (we don't have tough gloves) and slowly inched towards him. I got slapped a bunch of times, but I wouldn't withdraw and would pet him when given the opportunity. He eventually relaxed.

After a few of these sessions, he would just hiss without attacking and he started enjoying being pet. At one point my wife was petting him and he turned around and came closer so that she could pet his other side. He's fallen asleep to my petting him too.

He hisses at our hands a lot less now, just an occasional warning. He still gets agitated when you first bring your hand close to him, but he usually doesn't scratch when you touch him. I've started doing it without the "glove" and he's been OK with it and quite enjoys being pet.

He still won't let us pick him up (i.e. go under his belly), but hopefully a few days of this will enable us to do that. Once he's comfortable with being handled, we can let him start coming out of the crate for a stretch. I just don't want a panic attack if we need to pick him up and put him back in.

Oh, and he's a lot more easygoing with being fed by hand. He now comes towards the hand if he smells food (before he would inch forward, grab the food, and then retreat to eat it).

He cried a lot less at night (there are dogs barking at each other during the night, I think it scares him a bit). So overall it seems like this technique is working.

So good news! Will let you know how it goes after another day or two.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad my ridiculously long post helped a bit. If he's already being able to be touched that much - that's amazing! Even babies can take weeks and weeks before we get to the point of even being touched. I never push the "picking up" too quickly, just because that's a VERY intimidating thing for them. Particularly to be held up off the ground. And

When approaching him with your hand - - it helps to approach with a closed fist - - offered slowly (at his "head level" vs from above) for a "head bump" with your fist. It then resembles - to him - the way friendly cats and kittens often great each other - as your rounded fist looks like another kitty head to him.

And I know about the water/food/litter mess thing - - - our three little foster babies right now make every morning and evening look like World War 3 has gone through. But I don't ever leave an animal without some form of water available at all times. Even if it's a very small container that doesn't have much water in it - - -I recommend either bowls that hang on the side of the crate, or even small heavier ceramic bowls that are harder to tip - - we use little creme brûlée ceramic ramekins. And I really would hesitate to let him lick out of the pate container (assuming it's a can). Again - speaking from experience many years ago with one of our first feral kittens - - they can cut their tongues on the can when licking from it. If he seems more attracted to water with a slight food smell to it - - just stir a teeny tiny bit into whatever little water bowl you're going to leave him.

Definitely look around the internet for videos/articles on working with feral kittens (from legitimate sources). A few I always recommend -

The NYC Feral Cat Initiative has some great videos - I even spoke with one of their people (and I don't live in New York - so I was so appreciative they'd talk to me) early on in my feral kitten days. The page where several helpful videos can be found is:

Tips for Socializing (Taming) Feral Kittens

Alley Cat Allies has some amazing stuff too - - just go to www.alleycatallies.org and poke around their site.

Keep us posted on your progress - - sounds like you're doing well already!

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely look around the internet for videos/articles on working with feral kittens (from legitimate sources). A few I always recommend -

The NYC Feral Cat Initiative has some great videos - I even spoke with one of their people (and I don't live in New York - so I was so appreciative they'd talk to me) early on in my feral kitten days. The page where several helpful videos can be found is:

Tips for Socializing (Taming) Feral Kittens

Alley Cat Allies has some amazing stuff too - - just go to www.alleycatallies.org and poke around their site.

Keep us posted on your progress - - sounds like you're doing well already!
Thanks! I watched those videos and tried the thing where you let him eat while you pet him. Overall it worked - he got used to me stroking his back while he ate. I got scratched a couple of times at first but thankfully his nails aren't all that long yet so they barely break the skin.

The issue with the crate that we have is that the entrance is narrow. So it's very hard for me to pet him in a way that doesn't look like my hand coming at him. I tried the fist thing, but he hissed at scratched at it, too.

Do you think that video I showed above is not good? It seemed to work pretty well to getting him used to us touching him.

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

So our house cats (~3.5 months old) came into the little guy's room today (he's in his crate).

I didn't let them get too close, but he went totally crazy. Started poking at the cage door, trying to open it and otherwise find a way out. Particularly kept sticking his paw through the grill of the crate door.

No growling or defensive position, no hissing or aggressive behavior. What does that mean? Why did he suddenly want to get out so badly when he was totally cool with sitting in the back of his crate earlier?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely wan't saying the other video wan't good! (I just watched the beginning - it was very late here - and I was just trying to offer support as to other places to look)l....I just remember looking at multiple videos when we worked with socializing our first feral kittens. I'm of the "as much info/help" as possible mind :)

Others may disagree - - but I think it might be a bit early to introduce new kitties to him. He's already in "info/sensory overload" trying to process that you're safe for him. To be confronted by new kitties was just probably too much for him right now. He's so little and still so nervous ------I'd hold off on letting him meet your others. We generally don't introduce any other animals to scared kittens until they're very comfortable with US. He needs to be comfy in his surroundings AND feel like you'll protect him if need be. He's just getting to know you. So I'd hold off letting him even know there are other animals where he is for right now. Because though you say "no growling or defensive position - - but at this point all that he's done is look like he's starting to get interested in a larger world. Which s good! But sitting huddled in the back of the carrier is still basically a "defensive position" despite lack of growling/hissing - - it's his "DOn't look at me - I'm tiny and invisible" defense- - - so I'd definitely hold off until he seems VERY comfy with the crate AND you before introducing anything else that might scare him.

And please know - - I'm not criticizing. I'm just offering what I've experienced. We don't introduce even our "bomb proof" gentle sweetheart of a kitty (ex TNR - gentle with everything and everyone) to new kittens until we feel they're 100% comfortable with us AND surroundings outside of their crate. Again - - your baby is just starting to be introduced into a world that's opposite of what mom taught him to keep him alive as long as he did on the streets- -- which is "be scared of everything - - - run and hide, and if you can't, hiss and puff up until you can be sure you're safe." He needs to be comfortable that the world INSIDE the crate is very safe - and hone that YOU'RE safe - - and then that the world OUTSIDE the crate is safe because you're there - - - - and THEN think about introducing others. Again - that's my experience.

It's so much trial and error - - but you'll get there!!!!''

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:headscratch: I read and re-read your post about the kitten trying to get out the crate door when the resident kitties came in. To me, it indicates that he recognizes his own kind and want to go with them, as he imprinted with ferals. He just needs to learn how to read your body language so he can bond with you. I really liked the video - it is similar to what I do. When I stroke them, especially about the forehead and behind the ears, with dampened fingertips and short, slow strokes, imitating a mama-kitty's grooming. If you watch a video or know someone with a litter, study how the mother greets her babies with grooming. Congratulations on all your progress so far - who knows but that this is just the beginning and you will become the "Jackson Galaxy of Morrocco"!
:rock:

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

It's funny about Jackson Galaxy - we've discussed opening up a cat & dog shelter at some point in the far future. We live in Fes, which has the biggest intact medieval city in the world (that people still live in) and because the streets are so narrow, people use donkeys instead of cars. So there's quite a lot of donkeys. There's a place here called "The American Hotel", which is actually a donkey hospital founded by an American expat. Locals can bring their donkeys there when they're injured and the like. We haven't found a service like that for feral animals.

The kitten's progressing. My wife went to pet him in the morning when I was asleep, and she says he actually turned over and presented his tummy to her several times!

He's still skittish though. He hisses often when you bring your hand to him, but I've been able to feed him while petting him. I think that annoyed him though, he was quite defensive for the rest of the day.

Another thing is that he started resting close to the crate door (not at the very back like he used to), looking around, and sticking his paw through. To top it off, we accidentally left the door open and he came out.

So far he's just been exploring or hiding under the treadmill. When I came to pet him outside his crate he hissed like crazy and tried to escape, but he never hit me and once I pet him a few times, he relaxed and eventually started falling asleep.

Still not at a point where we can pick him though. If we can do that without too much complaint, we'll bring him to the vet to get his shots and de-worming. His poo smells awful.

BONUS: Here's a video of the little guy playing with my wife's glasses that he found on the floor for some reason (after getting out of the crate). Really nice to see him playing and acting like a normal kitten!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: Playing with your wife's glasses is HUGE because they have her scent and that also shows trust. I would have you both wear Tshirts while you sleep and keep them on until you do something to perspire heavily then give him those scented Tshirts to sleep with. Scents and body language are such important venues for kitty communication. His showing his belly, as you know, is a huge breakthrough; he may not want belly rubs, though, as for kitties it is more a signal than it is an invitation. Have you two tried the slow blinks (cat kisses) yet?
What a fascinating life you have chosen! It would make for an interesting blog :agree:

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:clap: Playing with your wife's glasses is HUGE because they have her scent and that also shows trust. I would have you both wear Tshirts while you sleep and keep them on until you do something to perspire heavily then give him those scented Tshirts to sleep with. Scents and body language are such important venues for kitty communication. His showing his belly, as you know, is a huge breakthrough; he may not want belly rubs, though, as for kitties it is more a signal than it is an invitation. Have you two tried the slow blinks (cat kisses) yet?
What a fascinating life you have chosen! It would make for an interesting blog :agree:
Oh, that's a neat idea about the tshirts. Will try giving him a T-shirt after a workout :D

I looked up the slow blinks after you mentioned them. I'm not really good at telling if they do it. I think he's still too scared of me - but my wife says he returned it. He also hisses less at her.

The other thing I just discovered is that because he is now OK with us petting him (although I think a lot of it is just resignation rather than enjoyment), we can scruff him. He literally has zero reaction to us grabbing his scruff. Of course, that comes with a caveat. If you move him around, he gets scared and upset. But this makes life a lot easier, because it means that when he's hiding away in some corner, I just have to pet him a few times, scruff him, and I can carry him back to his crate without a problem. This is a huge improvement on our previous attempts, when he'd poo himself while trying to escape at all costs and bite me to no end.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted a young mother who had just finishing nursing her kittens. She was about a year old. No one really knew her background, but she was very scared. Not a feral, but just really scared, although she had been handled and was obviously raised by her mother cat. Now, this is nothing like your little guy, but my point is the same. When I got are home to her safe room (my bedroom) she came out of her crate and scooted behind some furniture. Where she stayed for 5 weeks. I put food, water and litter box out for her and kind of left it at that. She would come out, only at night to eat some food and use the litterbox. About two weeks later I opened the door so she could roam the house. I would go to bed and hear her emerge and go out into the house. My point is, I found it much more helpful do just let her do things on her own, rather than try to get her to do stuff. Let's face it, cats do what they want to do when they want to do it. And it worked! Although she will probably always be a bit scary when it comes to strangers, she is very well integrated into the household. Still working on getting her used to be held, but she does fine at the vet, so if it happens it happens. What it taught me was to let cats do things on their own time, and that it WILL take more than a little bit of patience.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh-oh, I forgot 2 mention 2 things :einstein:
1. When I do the slow blink and they do not blink right back, I repeat the blink and with my eyes closed, turn away - this says, "I wont eat you!" in feral. I wait a little while, and do something else nearby, preferably something amusing such as bouncing a ping-pong ball nearby, then try the blink again.
2. When you pick him up, esp. after scruffing, try wrapping him up in a towel (often referred to as a "purrito").
Your adventures in cat-taming are so exciting! It would be awsome if you could get a cat club going and have your community learn the fascinating world of cat culture. :bigeyes::hellocat::kitty::catrub:

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My point is, I found it much more helpful do just let her do things on her own, rather than try to get her to do stuff.
True, a lot of it is just letting the cat do its thing. The more "proactive" stuff we've done with this kitten has worked so far though. We can safely scruff him now, he no longer bites and hasn't scratched in two days now (still hisses, but that's about it). He's comfortable enough to be fed by us, he's not crying at night anymore, and he's out exploring the room during the day even with us present there (as long as there are no sudden movements). I even saw him try to hunt a fly today! It's probably because he's young though. Some of those videos say that cats above 6 months are very hard to socialize.

Uh-oh, I forgot 2 mention 2 things :einstein:
1. When I do the slow blink and they do not blink right back, I repeat the blink and with my eyes closed, turn away - this says, "I wont eat you!" in feral. I wait a little while, and do something else nearby, preferably something amusing such as bouncing a ping-pong ball nearby, then try the blink again.
2. When you pick him up, esp. after scruffing, try wrapping him up in a towel (often referred to as a "purrito").
Your adventures in cat-taming are so exciting! It would be awsome if you could get a cat club going and have your community learn the fascinating world of cat culture. :bigeyes::hellocat::kitty::catrub:
Oh that slow blink trick worked really well! Thanks! I've been using it when coming close to his crate and petting him. I extend my hand slowly and when he gets scared, I do the blink and if it doesn't work, I do the head turn. It calms him down so that when I start petting him, he relaxes fairly quickly. And he did return the blink a few times!

The weird thing is that while he's OK with us petting him in his crate, he's still fairly scared of us. So if he's in his crate and I put food outside it and sit nearby, he's SUPER cautious about coming out. So the past two days I've just been letting him eat out of the container that I'm holding (as opposed to by hand or petting him while he's eating). Once he starts eating, I slowly pull the container towards me.

Today I pulled it all the way to my thigh, and the kitten actually sat on my legs to eat! (All four paws, his front paw on my hand) Still supper skittish and as soon as he finished the food, he turned and ran back into the crate, but a great improvement overall :)

I'm just realizing it hasn't even been a week yet (it will be tonight) - that's a huge progress from the non-stop meowing, biting, pooing mess that he was at the beginning.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please please please repeat that last sentence to yourself alot :) I know when you're "living it" socializing a feral kitten can seem like it takes forever (trust me - boy do I know that!!!!) - -- but to get to the point your are with him in just a week is REALLY fast!!!! It may not feel like it -- - but trust me, it most definitely is!! :)

That said (and please don't take this as criticism - - socializing is HARD work and your'e doing a super sweet thing it taking this little one on!!!!!!!). With most kittens I've worked with - - a little slower than we as humans would like is usually best in the long run. :) We've had kittens that have taken months - yes months - - even to get to the point you're at! Sometimes "pushing" (working things a little faster) works - - but often in the end, it makes a truly trusting relationship actually take a bit longer. So near be afraid of moving too slow - - trust is something you build over time.

Quick note on scruffing (and you may know this already) - the reason he reacts by going limp when you scruff him, not putting up a fight but instead going limp - - that's an instinctual reaction almost every single cat has. It harkens back to when their momma picked them up in hr mouth at the back of their neck to carry them around (and also as they get older - to stop them from driving her and each other nuts!). When she scruffs, they just go limp. So it is an instinctual thing (although that said, I've had the occasional one who struggles when scrubbed - but that's rare). Even as adults it usually works - which, if you take a terrified kitty to a vet you'll often see - - where the vet can reach in, scruff, and a cat that one minute was a whirling, terrified dervish, goes totally limp and approachable. So - that's instinctual.

And as far as him reacting more securely with you when he's in his crate - - - it's because he's starting to feel safest in there. It's not as much that he's scared of just being around you - - it's that his true safe haven right now is in the crate :) So it's wonderful he has a place to feel safe! And eventually-he'll feel that safe with you! Again - - - just go slow - - - he is starting to feel MUCH safer - -and actually quite quickly!

karabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That said (and please don't take this as criticism - - socializing is HARD work and your'e doing a super sweet thing it taking this little one on!!!!!!!). With most kittens I've worked with - - a little slower than we as humans would like is usually best in the long run. :) We've had kittens that have taken months - yes months - - even to get to the point you're at! Sometimes "pushing" (working things a little faster) works - - but often in the end, it makes a truly trusting relationship actually take a bit longer. So near be afraid of moving too slow - - trust is something you build over time.

Quick note on scruffing (and you may know this already) - the reason he reacts by going limp when you scruff him, not putting up a fight but instead going limp - - that's an instinctual reaction almost every single cat has. It harkens back to when their momma picked them up in hr mouth at the back of their neck to carry them around (and also as they get older - to stop them from driving her and each other nuts!). When she scruffs, they just go limp. So it is an instinctual thing (although that said, I've had the occasional one who struggles when scrubbed - but that's rare). Even as adults it usually works - which, if you take a terrified kitty to a vet you'll often see - - where the vet can reach in, scruff, and a cat that one minute was a whirling, terrified dervish, goes totally limp and approachable. So - that's instinctual.
Thanks, that's a good point about taking things slow. I guess at first we were afraid that we weren't making any progress and we couldn't indefinitely keep a kitten that cries all night and keeps everyone awake.

Right now we also have pressure to have him at a point where he'll at least be safe around a stranger before we travel. We have a neighbor who'd be OK coming in to feed and spend some time with the kittens, but not if they pose a danger of getting bit/scratched. I think he's pretty much at that point now though. Our neighbor should be at least able to leave him food & water and change his litter without trouble.

In terms of scruffing, I'm not surprised that he goes limp once I hold him - but I'm surprised he lets get touch him before scruffing. I'm not very good at it and it's hard for me to find the spot to grab. When we first brought him in and I tried to do that, he bit me (and I had to go get rabies shots, just in case). Now he let's me feel around his back before I pick him up.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:rock: WoW!!! You even endured rabies shots for this little guy - that is amazing dedication! Sounds like you are doing everything very well, especially as you have your upcoming vacation.

MzKitti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

New to the forum because of the situation.

We're expats in Morocco. Lots of ferals here, people generally take care of them well. A few days ago, a kitten showed up on our street, meowing literally non-stop. Somewhere in the 4-6 weeks old range I think.

Our neighbors know the cats in the neighborhood and their litters. He's not one of them. He was screaming on the street the whole day unless running away from cars or people. Super scared, darts as soon as people move closer. Mom never came.

Our neighborhood also has stray dogs, so it's not safe for a kitten. Together with our neighbors we were able to capture it and bring it into our home.

We have cats (we're keeping them separate) and we've cared for strays before. This guy is nothing like we've ever dealt with.

He basically meows nonstop, 24/7. He's also super scared. Hisses and claws at you if you come close. He didn't eat or drink anything for the first 24 hours or so.

We were able to feed him a couple of times by literally stuffing food in his mouth when he opened it to meow. Once he realized it's food, he was willing to eat it off our hands. He seems to be capable of eating softened kitten dried food (we haven't yet found kitten formula, so that's not an option).

In the past day, he's eaten once or twice from a plate we placed in front of him. But it's rare. He did start using the litter we set up for him.

Looks healthy, his poop is literally perfect, so doesn't seem to have any health problems. He can run around just fine if need be.

But he's eating/drinking very little. He falls asleep for a bit during the day, then wakes up and continues to scream on top of his lungs for the rest of the day. But he won't let us near him, he keeps running away and hissing. We try mimicking non-aggressive behavior (lying down at his level, not staring at him, lowering our heads), but that doesn't help.

He does stop screaming for a bit when we come to the room, but then he picks it up again after a while. I think he's just scared of us so he stops for a bit.

At this point he's keeping us up as well as the neighbors. We have no idea what to do, he doesn't seem to be getting friendlier. There are no shelters here and letting him out on the street is basically a death sentence.

Any help? Thanks!