Help! Kitten Has Soft Stool After Changing Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
No not yet, vet said to continue monitoring her when I explained in depth about the poop
She does not like rice so I'm going to feed her more boiled chicken.
I was wondering I purchased some kitten milk replacer a while ago and she too loves it so would it be okay to give her that milk to get her a bit hydrated and stronger etc.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you’ve monitored quite a bit at this point. I would find a vet that will run a test. It sounds like a parasite.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you’ve monitored quite a bit at this point. I would find a vet that will run a test. It sounds like a parasite.
I so check her litter box and everything and all I see is normal coloured poop that is soft and sometimes I see a froth of poo with pink streaks in the middle but the vet said this is due to stress and changing food continuusly. I just realised that sometimes my family were feeding her the old food hence the continuous upset tummy.
It' only been 3 days and her poop has gone to normal. Thank you. I will keep you updated. For now she is eating just chicken... With water too. Untill her dry food comes. I will be giving her scrambled egg later too as directed by the vet to settle her tummy. Thanks again! :-)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pink streaks could be blood though. I've never had a food reaction cause blood in my cats' poop. It sounds more like a parasite. I would get a stool test if it happens again.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
The pink streaks could be blood though. I've never had a food reaction cause blood in my cats' poop. It sounds more like a parasite. I would get a stool test if it happens again.
Oh okay, what do I do? Next time it happens i take a picture and show vet? I told vets and they said it' due to stress. She said sometimes cats with sensitive tummies start to bleed a little but she also said if there is a little more than a few dots or streaks to contact them straight away and bring her in... which I will definitey do...

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Would it be okay if when it occurs and if it occurs again to take an image and post to show or not...? Thanks again

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, you can post the pic. We're used to gross poop pics on here. Your vet should be able to do a stool test on it. I'm not sure how much it costs, I've never had it done.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tests range from 50-100$ usually depending on the type of test being run. If your vet is unwilling to run one I would consult with another vet. Having pink streaks in soft poo that has been going on for a while, especially in a kitten, is more than enough reason to run a fecal test.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When in doubt, always consult the vet. Don’t take chances. That will put your mind at ease. It’s better to pay for negative results than to worry.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Turns out that it's just her tummy acting up. The blood/pink colour blobs she used to do in her litterbox has also stopped thankfully.

I update the vets everyday.

At the moment I am feeding her cooked scrambled eggs and chicken breast for another day or two and then will transition to dry food too.

She loves the egg & chicken and I also mix some water in to make sure she's hydrated.
I think she is much better and has not been going to her litter box numerous times.

I will be booking her 6 month check up soon and will ask the vet if he thinks she has parasites and if need be will test her for it. She will get her normal check up and her usual treatments for fleas/worms etc.

I will then slowly transition her to her dry food.

I will be getting her a water fountain too to make sure she continues to drink more water as she will be transitioned to dry food.

She is due to be spayed soon too.

Thank you for all of your advice everyone!

I will keep you all updated if anything changes :-)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank goodness it’s just some digestive problems. Hopefully she gets over it soon and can get back to her regular eating.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness it’s just some digestive problems. Hopefully she gets over it soon and can get back to her regular eating.
Yes! I am so happy and thankfully she also loved her new James wellbeloved dry kitten food when i mixed it in to her bland food. .

I'll keep you all updated :-)

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
So she has just started eating her James wellbeloved dry food today and loves it BUT...she has not pooped since Monday night. I spoke to the vets who said that it may be due to the recent change of food from the old to new then to bland and now to her actual complete dry food...

I wanted to ask if I should be worried that she has not pooped?
She is ONLY PEEING 2-3 times a day (she usually pees&poops 2-3 times a day) ...

She is her usual happy self playing, eating and drinking water (she does seem a bit more thirties but I think that's her new dry food maybe...???

Thanks in advance:-)

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE : As soon as I wrote and posted the above post on her not pooping a few minutes later she pooped thankfully!

It was normal poop with a good consistency. No more Dihorrea !!

Yay!!!
Thanks so much to everyone who gave me advice !