Help Brown Cat?

Tashantx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat looks different from different angles and she's maybe a dark brown? I know she's not a certain breed but I was just curious after several people commented on how different she looks if anyone could comment on what breeds she might be. She was dumped off at a granite yard with her siblings she ran up to my son and well.... She was the sweetest kitty ever. We just had to take her. She rode the entire trip home 5 hours in my 2 boys laps purring and never acted weird or anything. We've had her for 6 days and she's probably no more than 9 weeks in my opinion. She will be going to the vet soon. Someone mentioned York chocolate which had me curious. She's so sweet and purrs constantly.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like a sweet baby!

She appears in these pictures to be a solid black kitten. Black cats, especially kittens who have not yet developed their adult coats, can often have a smoky or brownish appearance. Even in an adult black cat, it is normal for the soft undercoat hairs to be a lighter, smoky or chocolatey color. Exposure to elements can also lighten the hairs and cause them to "rust."

As she matures and develops a healthy adult coat, you should be able to determine her true color more clearly. Thank you for rescuing her!

Now, about the York Chocolate:

The York Chocolate doesn't really exist any more. When I first started breeding cats, there were some York Chocolates being bred in the US and shown in CFF, but it's been many years since then. The York Chocolate was a chocolate longhaired cat with moderate type.

I just looked for pictures of York Chocolates online to see what you are looking at, and most of the pictures posted online appear to be black cats, which is probably why you think your cat may be a York Chocolate.

This is typical misinformation written by people that are copying material from other places on the internet, and then getting pictures from photo sites that aren't careful about accurately labeling the pictures...

For example, this article has a picture of a black cat: YORK CHOCOLATE CAT BREED | Cat breeds of the world

In this article, the first two pictures appear to be black cats; the two kittens at the end appear to be chocolate British Shorthairs: York Chocolate Cat Breed Information and Pictures - PetGuide

This article has two pictures of cats that appear to be black; the young kitten at the end might be chocolate, but could also be black, it's hard to tell from the picture:
York Chocolate - Information, Characteristics, Facts, Names

Etc., etc.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashantx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohhhh good information! I didn't really know any of that or even know a chocolate York ever existed until someone asked me Thanks so much for the info.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She is adorable! I think she’ll end up as a black cat. Sometimes black kittens are a little lighter. She’s not the same chocolate as a Havana Brown.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On the last pic I get an impression of her fur being a tortie.
The green eyes strenghen the suspicion as many torties are greeneyed.

Tashantx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On the last pic I get an impression of her fur being a tortie.
The green eyes strenghen the suspicion as many torties are greeneyed.
I thought so at first too maybe so. Don't they have more orange?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The orange patches on a tortie can be a combination of reddish, orange, and cream colors. But since she was living outdoors, probably her coat isn't in the best condition, which can make a black cat or kitten look not only brownish, but also uneven in color, similar to a tortie. You'll have a better idea of her true color when she is older and has time to grow a healthy coat.

Tashantx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's true. I saw a difference immediately after bathing her and honestly she already seems to be looking better and better I'm excited to see her grow ❤ thanks for all the help.

Tashantx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just gets cuter and cuter. ❤ Just back to show her now that her coat is healthier. She's getting bigger now.
1107182133b.jpg
1102181701.jpg

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's actually looking more brown to me in these pictures, but it's hard to tell from the pictures! What does her color look like to you in person?

A chocolate cat is chocolate all over, without any black hairs. The chocolate color is uncommon, but it does exist in the domestic cat gene pool, originally coming from chocolate Siamese.