Heartworms In A Cat, Bj As His Story Begins.

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!
I just thought that since I recently took on a kitty that had lived outside, it might be helpful to others to follow his story.
I’ve found that many people don’t realize cats can get heartworms in the same way that dogs get them, through a mosquito bite. It only takes one. Kitties that live outside are at risk. Cats tend to get them less frequently than dogs but there is no cure for them if this happens. There are preventive medicines that you can give an outside cat. They should be given the prevetative. Also remember that an open widow with a hole in the screen can allow mosquitos inside.
BJ was a cat that was rescued. He probably spent most of his life outside before coming to me. He was not neutered. Since coming into my home, he has been neutered and started on his immunization regimen. I just got the results on his blood work. As a very active male he contracted FIV. That is something that could still give him a normal life span if properly cared for. Today I got the rest of his results. He has heartworms. At this point the only treatment I have found for this if he develops issues is steroids for inflammation or oxygen therapy if he has trouble breathing.
It is my understanding that the worms don’t survive well in the system of a cat. The cats systems fights them off but If they do reach the heart and die or survive, the cat can develop reactions to that. The lungs, organs and respiratory system can be affected as the dead worms break apart and block arteries or cause inflammation. Symptoms of the illness can vary from coughing, diarrhea, litter box issues, panting, asthma like symptoms, fainting and even sudden death.
I encourage everyone to use preventative, keep cats indoors if possible and TNR any cats at risk. For me the R stands for re home whenever possible. Neutering and spaying will mean less kitties at risk for disease of any kind. Re homing gets them out of the mosquitos.
BJ is an extraordinary cat. Of the many rescues I have been involved with, he stood out in the crowd. He was the defender of the colony and had acted as watchdog for me. He adjusted to being indoors and the other cats very well. He’s a true lover. Right now he is not showing symptoms of the heartworms. I’ll be following him closely and will post any changes I note in his condition. For now, I’ll make sure he gets nutritional food, is kept warm in Winter and cool in Summer, and gets all the love and attention he desires. He’ll be getting vegular vet checks and will be a strictly indoor kitty.
Any area that has mosquitos can be a risk so please be aware and if you plan of traveling with your cat, make sure that if the area is a risk , you give your cat preventatives!

I’d like you all to meet my sweet boy, BJ.
He is a very large cat and he lived near a wetland area.
View attachment 272962
He was intimidating at first but...
View attachment 272963
Is really just a big teddy bear.
View attachment 272964
It became obvious that he desired affection, even if it came from a tree! Lol
View attachment 272965
He soon indicated a desire for belly rubs.
View attachment 272966
Once inside he learned to love head scratches and
View attachment 272967
He loves his Mom as much as she loves him.
View attachment 272968
Cute kitty!
I will add that even if a cat isn't outdoors, it's still good to use preventative treatments! Maya is a life-long indoor-only city cat who tested positive for the heartworm antibody, indicating previous or current infection. Everything you read is just awful, and my vet at the time was pretty harsh in communicating the complications. I was crying for days after speaking with her...until I spoke with who I refer to as, "the nice vet" and calmed me down.

I didn't know heartworm could be a threat in cats. Literally no vet had ever even mentioned it to me, and she's seen quite a few for breathing issues, like symptoms of heartworm, even before being diagnosed with asthma. I was floored when the vet told me she had been exposed. I use Revolution now. If I miss a dose I start to panic.

I would suggest having the test done again in a few months. Maya tested positive in July and negative in December. Likely one of those is a false positive/negative, but it makes me feel better at least. I plan on having the test done again in another few months, and will continue with Revolution.

Moral of the story, preventatives!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mayabear mayabear Thank you so much for adding your experiences to this thread. I’m so sorry you and Maya have been going through this! :alright:Your comments are all right on the mark and I will be getting BJ retested. Revolution has not been available to us but I always use Advantage Multi cat and it’s supposed to prevent them as well. I did read that Revolution may be safer. I happened to have a friend who suggested it as well so I called the vet office today. I have an appointment to go there this week so she will discuss it with me then. I was told we may be able to order some if the vet agrees that it is preferable over Advantage.
The reason I started this thread goes to your comment about people not being told that heartworms are a risk for cats even if they are indoors. It wasn’t talked about much in the past because cats tend to be more resistant. Their systems don’t provide as good a host environment for the worms as dogs do. Although I have been aware of it for a bit, I’ve seen very little written about it and my vet never brought it up either. I think I first read about it in the insert with the flea prevention medicine. I was giving the prevention back then to my indoors only cats more for fleas than anything but was glad to see it covered parasites. When I started working with ferals I did get worried but none have ever tested positive before. BJ was at risk longer than the others though. I have read that once they have had them, they are more easily reinfected than a cat that has not had them. We are all still learning. I am very grateful for any information you learn as you go. Please keep updating us about Maya. I hope all tests from now on stay negative.:heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will add that even if a cat isn't outdoors, it's still good to use preventative treatments! Maya is a life-long indoor-only city cat who tested positive for the heartworm antibody, indicating previous or current infection.
That is SO necessary for people to know! They think, "Oh, my cat NEVER goes out!" but if they've EVER slapped a mosqito who flitted in through an open door, and we KNOW how good they are at that, then their cats are at risk.

Jcatbird Jcatbird , thank you for this thread! This is a threat that is so often overlooked by vets, and unknown by cat keepers.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is SO necessary for people to know! They think, "Oh, my cat NEVER goes out!" but if they've EVER slapped a mosqito who flitted in through an open door, and we KNOW how good they are at that, then their cats are at risk.

Jcatbird Jcatbird , thank you for this thread! This is a threat that is so often overlooked by vets, and unknown by cat keepers.
That's pretty much how my Vet handled me when she asked about heart-worm meds and I said "Does he really need it - he's indoors only?" she looked at me like I had five heads and said "So you've never opened the door and had a mosquito inside?"

Previous vets I had - never ever brought it up. She was the first. Did I ever get schooled that day. :-)

This thread is so great for those who didn't have a vet to educate them - and a good reminder for others. Me included.

XOXOXOX

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh! BJ is well. Thank you! I’m not sure if he is basking in my love or if I’m basking in his but here’s his view right now.

He might be basking in your love!
3FFB1495-C26E-4341-BAC2-A9B0742123DC.jpeg

He is enjoying playing tonight.
9EF1AC63-1135-4490-BABC-1A6D4B171C54.jpeg

But snuggling wins over chasing fingers and toys.
E1C60D34-3A13-44D9-BFD7-35C96B23A57F.jpeg

I think I have a Momma’s boy. :catlove:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love his face.
I think he is super cute myself! Lol His expressions always make me smile! He’s doing pretty well so far. He has had his Advantage treatment for fleas, heartworms and other parasites. He has also been having a good time being snuggled a lot. He’s a very special kitty.
He trying to learn how to take selfies now! :lol:

0D43C66E-FE32-4BC8-BC85-78B959F0A781.jpeg

Hmmmm. Did it work?
42E4853D-4CB1-4308-A3A7-05C996610AC6.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all knew that BJ wanted to be Your Boy from the first time the two of you laid eyes on each other!
It was that obvious huh? ;)
Very true. He grabbed my hand and my heart.
Bj kisses!
111FA8E7-7471-463A-9DEE-96ED5466095D.jpeg

He keeps me laughing too.
Today he tried out the cat tree for the first time........but....
36AAF63F-8E41-4611-AFA3-E67FAAA474F6.jpeg

he didn’t quite fit his back half in. :flail:
D849060D-2FD3-468E-9198-6D66FF4C7812.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a hoot LOL!

Can you imagine from HIS perspective --or any cat's perspective that hasn't ever known anything other than the outside world, to now be inside and to discover all that GOOD THINGS that come with that?

You're probably the best ever at working to show what a cat like this is really thinking :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yeah, cause, he's a big boy.

I wonder if you could get a cat bed with a plywood bottom to it, or cut a piece of plywood and attach it to the top of the tree and then attach a cat bed to the plywood. I also wonder if that would de-stablize the tree.